Lounge Doctor

THR 2.3 years later developed Tendonitis

OP
OP
A

AviationGeek777

Country
United States United States
Did an MRI and CT scan finally on the 9th of Sept. The issue goes away for 2-3 weeks after the doctors poke it with a needle and i take antibiotics. It then comes back again. There is still some fluid left, after they drained it the first time and that is causing all this.

IMPRESSION: A left total hip arthroplasty has been performed. As expected there is considerable metallic artifact from the prosthesis metal artifact reduction sequences was utilized and there is some significant diagnostic information obtained:

Moderate left hip joint effusion with a large fluid collection extending from the posterior aspect of the left hip coursing along the surgical scar/tract extending through the gluteal musculature, through the subcutaneous soft tissues to start deformity of the skin. No abnormal collection measures 7 x 1.5 x 1.5 cm greatest dimension. This follows the signal intensity as simple fluid however the sterility of the fluid is uncertain.

No gross periprosthetic erosive change or fracture

golfer67

Country
So are the doctors checking the fluid for infection? Something has to be causing the buildup of fluid I would insist that they analyze the fluid and find out what is wrong.

Golfer67

OP
OP
A

AviationGeek777

Country
So are the doctors checking the fluid for infection? Something has to be causing the buildup of fluid I would insist that they analyze the fluid and find out what is wrong.

Golfer67
No they didn't check the fluid for infection, when they first drained it. Clear yellow fluid came out and they instantly said it's joint fluid and it didn't have any puss or any signs of infection in it. I also don't have temperature, hip pain, any other symptoms that could be results of an infection. If it was infection i would have gotten worse during these 6 months. I will tell them to take a sample this time around when i see them on the 27th. I don't know if they are going to drain it with a needle, or they are going to open up the scar and remove it via surgery. The first collection of fluid was on surface level, this one seems to be deep under the skin/muscles. The reason it could be happening is, because of inflammation/arthritis. I just got the test results today, so i have to see the surgeon so they can explain why it's happening and how they are going to drain the fluid.

golfer67

Country
Yes be sure to have them analyze the fluid sounds like something is wrong.

Golfer67

Jamie

OneStep AMBASSADOR
Senior Administrator
Country
OneStep Ambassador Icon
Sometimes an infection isn't visible to the eye and you may not always have symptoms like a fever. That's why it's usually a good idea to culture the fluid any time it's drawn. The fluid needs to be cultured for several days to see if anything grows. So be sure to ask for this type of test on whatever is drawn out at your next visit with the surgeon.

I suggest you write down all your questions and concerns so that you don't forget anything. Also, if you can take someone in the appointment with you, that's always a good idea. An extra set of ears helps to recall everything that's said.

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
FunctionIsFun
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom