THR 1st THR - 32 - Right hip

BigDon

Country
Australia Australia
Hi Guys

This is my first thread in a forum of any kind. I am desperate to get some feedback in regards to all aspects of THR and also if my history of hip troubles aligns with any of you.

I am about to have my 33rd birthday and yesterday i was told by my hip surgeon that i require a THR of my right hip. I was not expecting this. I have been a sportsman since i was 10 ( Australian rules football ) and for the most part of my teenage years i had no issues. However at the age of 19 is when i first had troubles with my hips. I am no longer playing football and my days in the gym have slowly declined. I have however over the past year found a new passion in Golf and wish to continue this into old age.

Below a summary of my hip surgical history.

19 years old - Arthroscope for impingement / labral tear - right hip ( also diagnosed with osteitis pubis & fractured pubic bone )

20 years old - Arthroscope for impingement / labral tear - left hip
20 years old - Bilateral adductor lengthening surgery for chronic Osteitis Pubis

22 years old - Arthroscope for labral tear and to remove osteophyte which was blocking the movement of the joint - right hip

23 years old - Arthroscope for impingement / labral tear - left hip

25 years old - Micro - fracturing of right hip for cartilage regeneration, removal of mild athritis and labral tear.

27 years old - Micro - fracturing of right hip, adding in a relatively new treatment ( CARGEL ) this gel was placed over the micro - fracturing of the hip surface as a added stimulus for cartilage repair. Torn hip ligament repair - Left hip

28 years old - Micro - fracturing of right hip, adding in a relatively new treatment ( CARGEL ) this gel was placed over the micro - fracturing of the hip surface as a added stimulus for cartilage repair. Right hip

31 years old - I was selected for a case study for the use of trialling a collagen patch, which was to be placed over the degeneration in the hip joint. However when in surgery, the surgeon found that i was not an ideal candidate for the surgery, resulting in the surgery being a clean up of the joint. Right hip.

I have understood for sometime, that at some point i would require both of my hips to be replaced. However i did not feel that it would be something i would have to entertain at least until i was 40. I had been hoping that there would be an advancement in stem cell therapy before my time for THR had come.

Currently my symptoms are - sharp knife like pain in my hip joint when sometimes walking, resulting in a yelp and an immediate stop to regain myself. Inconsistent extreme sharp pain at night when stretching out my right leg ( a feeling of my hip and top of femur being put into place as if it was broken ). Stiffness in my right hip ( cannot trim to nails on right foot ), consistent lower back pain.

It is these current symptoms that sent me back to my surgeon yesterday. I was not expecting the outcome of that visit to be " it's time for it to be replaced ". I also could be a candidate for hip resurfacing.
Due to Corona Virus, we in Australia have had elective surgeries cancelled for the time being. This allows me some time to find advice and research my options. For the interim my surgeon has advised that i get a PRP injection into the joint to see if that remedies any of the current symptoms. I have not had one of these before.

I hope that in writing this article about my history of hip problems and my current situation, that i could possibly gain some feedback of those who have had THR at a similar age to myself, along with in general what to expect and if i should be considering this at my age.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
@BigDon Welcome to BoneSmart! You are proof there is no age discrimination when it comes to THR. Sounds like you have had quite a journey with those hips. Time for a new start!

We have plenty of members your age and younger who have had THR. For most, recovery from THR is a bit easier than from arthroscopy. And getting back to golf is definitely in the cards.

Spend some time in the Hip Recovery area. Lots of success stories. I'll leave you a bit of reading since you are just starting this journey.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing hip recoveries

:wave:Hi @BigDon and welcome to the forum.
It sounds like they have done everything possible to give you more time with those hips. Although not as young as you, I was indeed mortified to hear both my hips were shot and needed replacing at age 53.
sharp knife like pain in my hip joint when sometimes walking, resulting in a yelp and an immediate stop to regain myself. Inconsistent extreme sharp pain at night when stretching out my right leg ( a feeling of my hip and top of femur being put into place as if it was broken ). Stiffness in my right hip ( cannot trim to nails on right foot ), consistent lower back
Very familiar to me...especially the back pain.
Felt old before my time...sleep deprived and in pain alot!
After bilateral hip replacement, I am back to my life...healthy and pain free.
I didn't have the plasma injection option. But hope it helps.

I strongly suggest you register for this year's BoneSmart Joint Replacement Awareness Day (JRAD) conference on Saturday, May 9th. You can get information on the conference by clicking on the rotating banner at the top of the page. Here is a link to register:

Registration Form ‹ 3rd Annual Joint Replacement Awareness Day – May 9, 2020 — WordPress

@BigDon Hello! I can totally understand where you are coming from. I am 40 and had my Left THR lateral posterior on 2/26. I was diagnosed at 21 but can remember as young as 15 having trouble with range of motion.

I did try and hold off as long as possible for fear I would have to have it done twice in my life but the pain along with so many limitations making me feel older before my time lol helped my decide it was time and believe me now I'm like I should have done this a few years ago.

I have just passed 5wk post op had a visit with my OS this past Tuesday and was given my orders for PT.

As far as your concerns my experience has been really good. After surgery the hip pain I was experiencing prior was gone and it was just the pain of the actual surgery.

I can put my full weight on that leg that I haven't been able to do in I don't know how long.
Also the pain in my lower back and left knee have also subsided.

Since I was on 90 degree restrictions I struggled some early on with not being able to do much of anything for myself but I just kept reminding myself it was temporary.

Before surgery I was the type of person who was on the move from sun up to sun down with the help of pain meds lol so not being able to do for myself was hard mentally but like I said when I was feeling down I just kept thinking of how many things I was going to be able to do again pain free.

My restrictions have been lifted now as of Tuesday so now I have to remind myself to not over do it lol. I hope some of this has helped and I'm here as well as so many others if you have any other questions.
This forum was definitely what I needed before surgery and now it's nice to be able to talk with others who have gone through the same thing. Take care! :)

@Jaycey - Thank you for replying to my story, all points of contact and recommendation are appreciated. The links provided will allow me to peruse more specific detail that aligns with my situation. This is exactly what i had hoped for when deciding to post.

@Mojo333 - Again thank you for replying to my story. Your suggestion of registering for JRAD is something i will certainly do, no such thing as to much information. At 53 where you concerned about the longevity of the replacement? I am currently finding that due to my age, my main concern is how long i will get out of the THR as i still lead a very active lifestyle.

@BigDon Hello! I can totally understand where you are coming from. I am 40 and had my Left THR lateral posterior on 2/26. I was diagnosed at 21 but can remember as young as 15 having trouble with range of motion.

I did try and hold off as long as possible for fear I would have to have it done twice in my life but the pain along with so many limitations making me feel older before my time lol helped my decide it was time and believe me now I'm like I should have done this a few years ago.

I have just passed 5wk post op had a visit with my OS this past Tuesday and was given my orders for PT.

As far as your concerns my experience has been really good. After surgery the hip pain I was experiencing prior was gone and it was just the pain of the actual surgery.

I can put my full weight on that leg that I haven't been able to do in I don't know how long.
Also the pain in my lower back and left knee have also subsided.

Since I was on 90 degree restrictions I struggled some early on with not being able to do much of anything for myself but I just kept reminding myself it was temporary.

Before surgery I was the type of person who was on the move from sun up to sun down with the help of pain meds lol so not being able to do for myself was hard mentally but like I said when I was feeling down I just kept thinking of how many things I was going to be able to do again pain free.

My restrictions have been lifted now as of Tuesday so now I have to remind myself to not over do it lol. I hope some of this has helped and I'm here as well as so many others if you have any other questions.
This forum was definitely what I needed before surgery and now it's nice to be able to talk with others who have gone through the same thing. Take care! :)

@Sweetpea39 - Thanks for posting to me. I would like to pick your brain - hopefully that is ok.

What was the defining point in your mind that told you to go ahead with the surgery? How was your hospital stay and how long? Has your OS told you when you can expect to return to full activity?

Here is my XRAY of my right hip taken 2-4-2020. It was this XRAY that was reviewed by OS, deciding that it was required for replacement. We also had the discussion that i potentially could be a candidate for metal resurfacing. For those that are interested, my OS is Dr John O'Donnell ( Same surgeon Andy Murray used in his first surgery )

RHXRAY.jpg

@BigDon I had been bone on bone for I'm not sure how many years and was living on cortisone shots and anti inflammatories before going to pain mgt I was there for almost 2yrs and was at the point were I no choice but to go on narcotics just to be able to function. I'm in the medical field and work 10hr days on my feet before this job I did 12hr in a hospital which even more strain. So my turing point was I was tired of being on pain medicine, upset and sometimes depressed that i was in constant pain and was unable to enjoy so many things in my life especially my boys couldn't run around with them if i tried to walk for instance at the park or a fair where surface was uneven sometimes it would hurt so bad i was in tears, couldn't sleep the pain would wake me up in the night. I was tired of it all I wanted to live again. My surgery went well he did a ceramic on plastic I believe but he did have to do a bone graft to reshape in hope's that it will last and if I had to have it done again or need a revision there wouldn't be any issues. I stayed 2 nights in the hospital. Full activity- no not yet I have another appointment in May at which time I will be 12wks pot op. He did release me to drive. But by my own choice I'm holding off till I'm a little stronger. I do alot more now stuff around the house but I do feel wiped afterwards lol. Returning to work is still going to be a little bit for me until I can be stable enough without the cane and not limp. I'm not rushing it for the simple fact I dont want to hurt myself and set myself back. Hope this helps!!

Consult with multiple surgeons and tell them of your activity goals for after surgery. Keep consulting until you find a surgeon who feels right ... and who seems confident you can reach your activity goals.

Surgeons are cautious about how long hips last ... My surgeon, who publishes a lot and is up all the latest research, says my hips should be good for 30 years or so. But what he believes (and says quietly) is that I won't really need to replace my hip--and he knows I'm living til 99.

Hip replacement materials have hugely improved as have surgical techniques. Most hip surgeons who dipped their hands into resurfacing ... have backed off ... because they now believe the total hip is resilient enough to withstand athletic activity. Lots of surgeons these days place no restrictions on their patients' activities. I have no restrictions.

Consult around and ask surgeons about their experience operating on young people and how they feel about you engaging in sports. I would not delay based on fear of wearing down the hip. If and when you need a revision, it's likely that the state of the art for revision will have advanced substantially. And you may not ever need a revision.

Things are definitely different today as they will be different in the future also. I'm the guy that waited. Had pain in my hips in my teens and the Dr. pinned my left hip as both had slipped femoral crowns. Late teens a different DR. said the pins were my pain and operated to remove, didn't remove them. At 30 I saw a OS and he recommended I wait as technology was improving. At 62 I found an OS that I was confident in and my life situation was right and I had the first replaced. I was extremely active all of those years and yes I had pain. I have no regrets over waiting and feel confident I'll take this pair of implants to the grave. Just my story, everyone's is different and so are their situations in life. You have bad hips and it's all up to you to decide what to do.

@BigDon I had been bone on bone for I'm not sure how many years and was living on cortisone shots and anti inflammatories before going to pain mgt I was there for almost 2yrs and was at the point were I no choice but to go on narcotics just to be able to function. I'm in the medical field and work 10hr days on my feet before this job I did 12hr in a hospital which even more strain. So my turing point was I was tired of being on pain medicine, upset and sometimes depressed that i was in constant pain and was unable to enjoy so many things in my life especially my boys couldn't run around with them if i tried to walk for instance at the park or a fair where surface was uneven sometimes it would hurt so bad i was in tears, couldn't sleep the pain would wake me up in the night. I was tired of it all I wanted to live again. My surgery went well he did a ceramic on plastic I believe but he did have to do a bone graft to reshape in hope's that it will last and if I had to have it done again or need a revision there wouldn't be any issues. I stayed 2 nights in the hospital. Full activity- no not yet I have another appointment in May at which time I will be 12wks pot op. He did release me to drive. But by my own choice I'm holding off till I'm a little stronger. I do alot more now stuff around the house but I do feel wiped afterwards lol. Returning to work is still going to be a little bit for me until I can be stable enough without the cane and not limp. I'm not rushing it for the simple fact I dont want to hurt myself and set myself back. Hope this helps!!

@Sweetpea39 Thank you for the insight into your experience. 2 years of pain management would of been a catalyst in committing to the surgery. I wish you well in your recovery

Consult with multiple surgeons and tell them of your activity goals for after surgery. Keep consulting until you find a surgeon who feels right ... and who seems confident you can reach your activity goals.

Surgeons are cautious about how long hips last ... My surgeon, who publishes a lot and is up all the latest research, says my hips should be good for 30 years or so. But what he believes (and says quietly) is that I won't really need to replace my hip--and he knows I'm living til 99.

Hip replacement materials have hugely improved as have surgical techniques. Most hip surgeons who dipped their hands into resurfacing ... have backed off ... because they now believe the total hip is resilient enough to withstand athletic activity. Lots of surgeons these days place no restrictions on their patients' activities. I have no restrictions.

Consult around and ask surgeons about their experience operating on young people and how they feel about you engaging in sports. I would not delay based on fear of wearing down the hip. If and when you need a revision, it's likely that the state of the art for revision will have advanced substantially. And you may not ever need a revision.

@Going4fun - Thank you for giving some advice in regards to my situation. I will be staying with my surgeon as he is the best in AUS and one of the best in the World. Although skill and reputation is not always a decidding factor, i have a wonderful rapport with him. I would however need to consult with a new Surgeon if i entertain resurfacing, which i will do my due diligence with.

Things are definitely different today as they will be different in the future also. I'm the guy that waited. Had pain in my hips in my teens and the Dr. pinned my left hip as both had slipped femoral crowns. Late teens a different DR. said the pins were my pain and operated to remove, didn't remove them. At 30 I saw a OS and he recommended I wait as technology was improving. At 62 I found an OS that I was confident in and my life situation was right and I had the first replaced. I was extremely active all of those years and yes I had pain. I have no regrets over waiting and feel confident I'll take this pair of implants to the grave. Just my story, everyone's is different and so are their situations in life. You have bad hips and it's all up to you to decide what to do.

@Eman85 - Thank for having an input into my thread. Wainting 32 years to have THR is exceptionally long. What condition where they in at 30?

Update - This week i'll be receiving the details about my PRP injection along with the treatment plan. I have perused this website a lot lately and have noticed there is not much information in regards to this treatment option. i hope to provide some insight into this for others who undergo the same treatment.

Due to COVID-19, no surgery can be performed, allowing some good lead in time to educate on all things THR.

Cheers

I believe one of our members @linette333 had very good success with the plasma injection.
I have tagged her so hopefully she can let you know about her experience.

@BigDon Hips were pretty bad especially at 30. The heads of the femur had slipped so they weren't in the correct position where they met the pelvis. The sharp pains and aches at night were common. I did stop playing sports at around 30 but always had physical jobs and stayed active. Always had limited ROM all of my life at around 60 left hip started locking at times.

Hi @BigDon ! I had a PRP injection nearly 2 years ago now and it has been a total success for me. I had been struggling with bursitis in my right hip for a couple of years and after a couple of cortisone injections which didn't work for any length of time, this was the last resort really. I am so glad I had this done. I went in as a day patient. Any questions, just ask!

I was a professional dancer and had both of my hips replaced at 50. It took away the back pain, and all other pain. (once they had healed.) Mine were both bone on bone. That's great that you have the top surgeon. It makes such a difference. I had a famous surgeon here in Los Angeles: Dr. Matta...

I am now able to hike, do yoga, grow food, do Pilates, and ride my bike. I don't dance anymore, because my friends who went back to dancing professionally had to get revisions and then knee replacements. Seeing them made me cautious. I don't want to do this surgery again, even though it was totally worth it.

Oh, and I can trim my toenails now, too. That's a telltale sign that you need your hip replaced. I think you will do very well, and be happy with the results.

I am still in awe that I'm pain free, five years after my bilateral surgery.

Hi @BigDon ! I had a PRP injection nearly 2 years ago now and it has been a total success for me. I had been struggling with bursitis in my right hip for a couple of years and after a couple of cortisone injections which didn't work for any length of time, this was the last resort really. I am so glad I had this done. I went in as a day patient. Any questions, just ask!

Hi @linette333 - Great to get some insight in the PRP injection. Is bursitis the only issue you had with your hips? When did you notice a decrease in pain post injection?

Yes, bursitis was my only problem at the time, although there was some arthritis according to the x-ray. The pain relief was instant. The only downside was the fact that I had to be strictly non weight-bearing for 6 weeks. They were very insistent about this if the injection was to be as effective as possible. Frustrating as it was, I did manage to stick to It! In the UK this is not a particularly common procedure, so I was apprehensive and even sceptical. So glad to be able to report 100% success!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom