THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

Hip...hip.. hurray.. lovely amazing update.so wonderful to have our lives back.
Sorry to hear of your moms experience .. hope she will do well soon. My old hip is over 20 years old . Every six months I go in for X-ray to check for any spaces showing wear in the hip cup. Is your mom going in for a revision?
Thanks @Hippielife - she is doing better, has amazing bounce backiness qualities. She is 96 and no surgeon recommends her as a good candidate for surgery. Now that she has overnight supervision at her home she has far fewer dislo's but before that it was a nightmare of 4 am emergency room visits - one after another. You are wise to keep a check on the older hip!! With longevity in my genes, I am already thinking about ..will I need to replace them when I'm 90?? :yikes::yikes: (<-- ode to @lovesstars)

Happy New Year to you @1stSurgery! You sound great!! Loved reading your update...except the part about your poor Mum. Is there any resolution to her situation?
And happy brand spanking new New Year to you too @Alitm! See above post re my Mum.... sadly there is no viable surgical solution and we have tried 47 different remedies but the best so far is the nighttime caregivers who can monitor her. She was crossing her legs in bed in her sleep which was enough to throw the very old early implant out of socket. Now they keep it in check by watching her closely while she sleeps. It has been over 6 mos since the last one. Pretty good for her.

So sorry about your MIL and then the added surgery of hubby coming up in the middle of it. Wishing you some very good health energy all around in your family and your hips! Sounds like you're doing very well however and yeah I've broken into dance around the house more than a few times too! But it's so hard to be restrained and dance at the same time. I should never have watched the documentary about Michael Jackson's last tour that never happened.... they show the dance rehearsals of all the numbers and there's no way to watch without trying at least some of the moves. Not recommended viewing for Hippys in recovery! Keep up the massage therapy and everything else that is promoting healing and enjoy those new shiny titanium babies!

@1stSurgery - It was good to see your post. I have sort of faded away from BSmart the past few weeks. We had out left hips done the same week. I am so pleased at your outcome. I'll be 7 months in a few days and my progress sounds much like yours. I still have the tenderness around the scar area when it's bumped but all is going so well. Happy Hippy New Year to you!

Happy New Year and happy 7 months @luvsibes and good to see you! I too have not been around much - (and I apologize for the lengthy post above, but when you drop in once a month ...there's a lot to say!) So you are only tender at the incision? I have an entire tender thigh on each side, in between the numbness. It's fine if no one or no thing knocks into them. I need some type of a bird-cage like skirt... to protect myself from all those zombie cell phone walkers who only look down at their phone when walking in public! They are a pedestrian hazard!! :snork:
Take care and hope to see you around here as we weave in and out.

What a great update @1stSurgery
Thank You for that. It's so inspirational to those who have a surgery scheduled and those still struggling with recovery. I miss you and your quick wit around here but couldn't be any happier for you.
Wishing you only the best in the New Year.
Big hugs to you.

Awww thanks so much @Layla! You and @Mojo333 were my head cheerleaders throughout the whole long and precious process! And I'm forever indebted to you both. (Well, don't come asking for loads of money or anything) :heehee:
I would love to be a walking billboard for THR and the miracle of pain relief, the miracle of walking with lightness and joy again. I'm still early enough out that I recall the Before & After of every move and every step in the daily routine. The shower, the stairs, the car, the street, the bed! Ah the bed with the 72 prop up pillows just to be able to sleep!
I figure as long as I can keep my girlfriend's overly affectionate pit bull from jumping on my thighs ... I should be just fine through these final months of the one yr of healing.
:egypdance:

Last edited:
I know, I tried a couple of party hat apps but there was too much commitment or I couldn't figure it out. Albert sends a Temptatiions-catnip-flavor kiss to Etta.

Your post was just the best; I'm so pleased for you. What you described about your somewhat numb somewhat tender thighs is what I have too. The right one is as you'd expected a little less so.

Happy New Year! I am super happy with my new hips too.
Hi @EL11! We are happy double hippys indeed! So you have the sore/numb combo platter on your hips too? "Tender thighs" sounds so much like a fast food menu item ...or romance novel prose... but it is exactly what they are! Tender and partially numb. We are in more or less the same time pocket, so it will be interesting to see when those features fade away for us. Isn't it fun to WALK?? Yesterday I was at the office supply store where I always take the elevator up from the parking lot and I searched for the door to the stairs just because I could. Like in days of old. Take care and please give Albert a nice gentle belly rub for me, Etta loves those. She got a new catnip mouse for Christmas and couldn't be more excited about it. Hours of pleasure. :)

IMG_1151.jpg Here she is posing for a picture, in front of a portrait ...of ....herself. She is NOT narcissistic! In winter, Russian Blues develop a "fur collar" around their necks to keep them warm. It even happens in L.A. where winter is when we hit 40 degrees. It's very elegant!

Last edited:
Hi @EL11! We are happy double hippys indeed! So you have the sore/numb combo platter on your hips too? "Tender thighs" sounds so much like a fast food menu item ...or romance novel prose... but it is exactly what they are! Tender and partially numb. We are in more or less the same time pocket, so it will be interesting to see when those features fade away for us. Isn't it fun to WALK?? Yesterday I was at the office supply store where I always take the elevator up from the parking lot and I searched for the door to the stairs just because I could. Like in days of old. Take care and please give Albert a nice gentle belly rub for me, Etta loves those. She got a new catnip mouse for Christmas and couldn't be more excited about it. Hours of pleasure. :)

IMG_1151.jpg Here she is posing for a picture, in front of a portrait ...of ....herself. She is NOT narcissistic! In winter, Russian Blues develop a "fur collar" around their necks to keep them warm. It even happens in L.A. where winter is when we hit 40 degrees. It's very elegant!

It is amazing to WALK!!!

Besides the tenderness/numbness, the nocturnal soreness comes and goes for me, I thought I was done with it and stopped taking the Coleman carrier of two ice pillows into the bedroom, then the last couple of nights I woke up feeling uncomfortable and did need to ice. What is significant, though, is that with the ups and downs, I am getting more sleep overall, which is huge.

Ella is just stunning, she really is. Albert likes my kissing him on the tummy when I pick him up and he's all stretched out, but if I rubbed him when he was rolling around with tummy exposed I know he'd bite me. Meaning no harm but drawing some blood. I had a cat named Roy who would sit on my lap like a person when I was watching TV, meaning I could hold him under the "arms." Different body type from Albie.

Attachments

• Albert family room 1.4.19.jpg
    Albert family room 1.4.19.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 178
My cat just jumped up hit my pinky and jammed it .hes a Manx cat has no tail a tuxedo cat with triple coat in winter and he’s huge . also a bit on the wild side won’t come in the house and I fight to get his little fanny inside every night. I lost the battle tonite.as he jumped up on the fence I was blocking him to catch and he hit my poor pinky finger with his head. Originally Manx cats were bred on the man of isles island off the cost of Scotland. He moved in with me a couple of years ago after I found him limping with a couple of holes thru his foot. A couple thousand dollars later and months of care shots meds dressings changes tubes for two months and he is still hanging out with me. Oh now I gotta put a splint on my poor finger..ouch it’s black and blue pain is kickin in and swelling. Good thing ice is on the menu. Just had surgery on that hand yikes what timing to wack my finger with a 14 pound cat hard head he’s a knot head now...hit just the right place on pinky tip looks a bit crooked.
Well at least my hip wasn’t rammed,need the cup replaced it’s over 20 years old,wow that cat is serious. By the way his name is Manxy. Or more like Mud at the moment.perfect timing huh had to be jinxed with the timing to put in with the other cat pics.

Attachments

• 5E785D5E-BDE0-4C29-96E2-CFDA63F548B2.jpeg
    5E785D5E-BDE0-4C29-96E2-CFDA63F548B2.jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 175
Wow, what a hardcore cat person you are! Special place in heaven for you.

Maybe you should see a doc about an antibiotic? I was going to say get one regardless “because of your hip” but now I see your last op was in 2017. But your HAND was operated on ... oy.

Cute photo.

Attachments

• 45E8C605-6E9F-4218-AE98-ED7AD314683D.jpeg
    45E8C605-6E9F-4218-AE98-ED7AD314683D.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 162
Hey there EL11... had surgery on hand due to arthritis,yeah a 24 pound panicky cat :yellowcat:is in the doghouse today .imagine the timing for the cat to jump up and hit my pinky as I was reaching down.lots of force in his jump up to the fence. My hand is in a finger splint the end nuckle swollen, lovely colors of purples and blue greens. It’s not infected no need for antibiotics will see doc next week. :catbutterfly:

Naughty kitteen!

It’s amazing what surgeons can do these days.

Happy Four Month Anniversary Righty!
I hope you're enjoying 2019.
I know it's gonna beat 2018 by miles and miles :walking:
A great week to you :wink:
@1stSurgery

Hi there :wave: @1stSurgery
Stopping by to say Hi and hoping you'll leave an update if you read this.
Two surgeries in one year. Hope they are serving you well.
You're coming up on Nine Months for Lefty already and just passed Five Months for Righty.
Happy Anniversary on both.
Would love to hear from you if / when you have time.
Hugs :friends:

I felt the same...a walking billboard of successful THR.
I reminded my surgeon of this the day off my op
I told him he was either going to be a hero or a goat...and that I had the biggest mouth in town!:heehee:

I have been surprised at how much better I have gotten even after the one year mark. Being able to walk correctly and pain free helped my ongoing lower back pain and I'm feeling stronger than I have in decades!
Continued good health and happiness @1stSurgery :egypdance:

Greetings from cccold LA, thanks for checking in @Layla & @Mojo333 & @Hippielife a& @EL11 (and @Albert!) I'm thankful @Mojo333 that you and I live in different towns across the continent ...because I too have the biggest mouth on the western front! If I like a product or service I'll be talking about it to everyone who has the misfortune to pass me by! And yep...these new hips fall into the category of "success" without a doubt. I've been having so much fun with them! It's very much like getting a new car when your old car has just passed over into clunker stage and you've put off buying a new one for so long.... All you want to do is drive... Up mountains, down country roads, zooming along the freeway. That's me with my new hips! I've been road testing all sorts of circumstances, most have worked well. But I did experience my first fall last week since getting the new "wheels".

Ironically it was at the Nike store!! Where I was shopping for new track and hiking shoes since I learned the hard way that what you all say about wearing pre op athletic shoes post op is....sadly true. I did about 3 miles on the track in an older pre-op pair of tennis shoes and the hips took a hit and ached badly the next day. The entire lean and walk pattern that was locked in pre op (and painful) was just the wrong place to implant these new feet hips and legs into for any extended exercise... and it was markedly noticeable.

So I'm at Nike and ask for some socks to try on shoes -- who knew she'd give me the World's Slipperiest Socks known to humankind. I then stand up to look at the shoes on the display wall while she's off getting pairs to try on...and WHOOSH! Feet went right out from beneath me and on to the very slick bamboo wooden floor ....I slammed! Fortunately it's soft wood, and I landed right on my butt so the new hips only got jostled a bit but....the store was pretty full and everyone saw and heard my spectacular tumble and crash!

After years of dance, tennis, and hiking etc, I've learned how to fall pretty well. That part was ok. What I didn't anticipate was....getting back up. I was in the middle of the floor on my back, nothing to grab on to. This was a new position for me post surgery and I was unclear about how to spring back up and make all those concerned faces staring at me go back to lacing up their sneakers. I tried the lifelong usual move, like a hinge in dance. Oops. Somehow there's no thrust in that hinge ...and I can't seem to lift the whole 130 lbs up there. I get up about six inches and thump back on to the floor. The bench looks oh sooo far away, I try to casually scoot towards it on my side without looking too ridiculous, far too late for that. Then I remember -- the downward dog and that is how I get up from the floor now! So I went into an all fours knee crawl heading towards the bench, now like an actual a dog advancing on the Nike floor.... and then slid into the yoga pose -butt up in the air, from there - the customers are still staring at me and asking "....Are you OK?!" Yes! No problem!

And presto, up from the dog I emerged just as the sales lady came back with shoes.

That is the first fall story. :)

No after effects all is well and I now have 2 new pairs of great shoes! Tried them out on the old hike in the hills this week through giant old sycamores and running over a babbling brook (yes brooks do babble) then around the duck pond where turtles were sunning, and around the lake - all in my nearby park where I hike. Could not have gone better!! I even can do double pirouettes again in the kitchen while preparing food. I was worried that might be unattainable after surgery. No one wants to lose their pirouettes!

So for the 5 and 8 month updates (righty & lefty).. I'm giving these titanium add-ons an A+ grade!! I must eventually master the art of getting back up more gracefully after falling on your butt - as I'm sure to slip again somewhere, hopefully on a less public place next time!

Hoping all my fellow hippies of the similar THR era are feeling as pleased as I've been with the results. I still never forget the pain and the debilitation that is right there in the rear view mirror and how it felt in every sense. There is still some numbness and tenderness and the occasional stabbing Who Stuck A Needle in my Thigh sensation... But I don't mind. It reminds me of the journey and how far I've come. Anyone who's in the throes of the long recovery stage-- just hang in there and keep repeating "temporary, long but temporary". It is Soooo worth it!

Sorry for verbosity. Like I said, big mouth will travel. But @Mojo333 doesnt seem to have the same affliction as I when it comes to posting! :)

Take good care Bonesmarteurs!! Much love, healing and hopefulness being sent to you from the other side of recovery.

Last edited:
What a great and well told story! I’m about 6 and 3 months out from 2 new hips. I’m a tad discourages, but your tale gives me some much needed optimism. I’m still having trouble with stairs, walking is doable, but not too graceful, and I do feel progress but I thought I’d be farther along by now. I know from this forum and from you that the process takes its own time, I guess. Do hou have any recommendations for knee discomfort? I’m thinking it will decrease as my thigh becomes less numb. Thanks again!

Oh yeah! Glad you didn't hurt anything and you were able to get yourself off the floor.:doh:
I'm so glad you didn't hurt yourself but I have to admit I was googling through the whole narrative...poor 1stSurgery.
Yes, brooks babble, turtles turtle, and birds are a-birding.
Is going to be a great Spring and Summer.
Stay well, friend.:friends:

:hi:
Hey @1stSurgery
So nice to hear from you! Great news on your recovery.
I miss you and your humorous posts. I mean...who else can make a fall sound so funny?
Thankfully you weren't hurt.

There is still healing to happen and you're doing great already. Can you imagine it getting even better?
It will be an awesome 2019!
Please stay in touch. Wishing you all the best until next time. :flwrysmile:

What a great and well told story! I’m about 6 and 3 months out from 2 new hips. I’m a tad discourages, but your tale gives me some much needed optimism. I’m still having trouble with stairs, walking is doable, but not too graceful, and I do feel progress but I thought I’d be farther along by now. I know from this forum and from you that the process takes its own time, I guess. Do hou have any recommendations for knee discomfort? I’m thinking it will decrease as my thigh becomes less numb. Thanks again!
I'm about 2 mos ahead of you on either side @Atkinson8 so I think if you just remain calm and patient - as we all heal in differing styles and timeframes - you'll be just as pleased. I keep reminding myself about the many months of just healing the tissues, muscles and nerves (oh those nerves are tricky little devils when they heal!). But the real timeline is the ONE YEAR to grow the new bone in that will eventually encapsulate the new titanium bits of inner jewelry.... So I'm only about halfway home in that regard.

Your 3 month hip is still an infant, like trying to walk before crawling. It just needs time. 3 months is only when all the disturbed body parts are finally settling into a What the Heck Happened Here conference moment amongst themselves! The real healing will likely start very soon on the baby hip and from there the more senior hip will be able to shift more and more of its weight and work onto the other side and share the burden. You'll be so pleased when it all starts to click - and it can be so fast at that point.

My knee issue was one side where the Incredible Hulk dislocation dude got a little carried away with his work (my diagnosis...) and the ankle and knee were both badly bruised and swollen, I had actual "handprints" in bruises where you could trace where he gripped me! That eventually went down with the help of some steroid pills and with time. At night I very judiciously propped up the bad knee with one of those small memory foam neck pillows with the curve for your neck, put that under the thigh/knee that was hurting. I found having my knees elevated somewhat helped all around during recovery although I know some say that doesn't work for them. You have to try everything! No more knee or really any kind of pain today. Except on occasion and nothing to write home about.

Best of luck to you on your recovery!!

Thanks @Layla and @Mojo333 - good to see both of you again! And yes I can imagine it even getting better! Hoping that getting up from the floor thing works itself out too... but the first hiking trips have proved very fine, I'm only avoiding unsteady slippery slopes for now, the very steep kind. I can sleep on either side now too which is a big relief! I seem to meet someone every week who needs this surgery so my poor OS is going to be inundated with new patients thanks to me and my rather large and enthusiastic mouth. Good thing he's fast. :heehee:

You guys take care and thanks again for the umpteenth time for all of the coaching and support during the hard healing days and all those countdowns. I LOVE my new hips. I tell everyone and am forever demonstrating just how exciting it is to have moving parts again. I am kinetic. Now if I can only cure my Netflix addiction that I developed during recovery... :flabber:

Hey there @1stSurgery .... what a great tale!

I am moving to Rochester, NY. Yesterday it snowed heavily here and I took a tumble in the parking lot of Cats & Critters where I am boarding Albert; there was a parking block buried in the snow and I tripped on it . Let me pause here to say that Albert has been boarded at two places this past two weeks and of course everyone is completely smitten with his beauty and sweetness. No seriously, there was a Post-It on his crate yesterday that said "Very sweet."

I told my friend that I'd had a fall and he anxiously asked if it hurt my hips. People are sweet to worry but it didn't even occur to me to worry about my hips, that's how little attention I have on them now. Being able to walk at a brisk pace is a great gift. You just can't do it in a deep snow.

I am fine with getting up off the floor now and you will be too before long, I predict. Hugs to you and that beautiful kitty-girl.

Attachments

• albert at c-c.JPG
    albert at c-c.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 177

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics