THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

Happy Two Month Anniversary and Happy Thanksgiving!
I hope you have a great one!
@1stSurgery

Oh, it was my 2 month hipversary! You're right! Thanks @Layla! Hope you had a wonderful, peaceful, warm and tasty Thanksgiving as well. We had two dinners and both were lovely. Hips felt a bit strained by the end of the day but nothing major. A little too much standing & walking I guess. Still have outer thigh numbness on both sides and am getting those sharp electrical jabs inside left one lately, the earlier one replaced. But all in all, its been pretty wonderful still. I'm thinking of trying to wear heels in this week ahead... Will do a test drive in the house first. Loads of work still and for the next month or so ahead as well. 2019 will be a welcome passage!

Hope all hippys had a fun turkey time with family and loved ones and yummy food items! I think my fave dish this year was a jalapeño Mac n cheese casserole! Wow...mouth on fire, but in a good way. How many thought of THR when the thighs came off the bird?! :yikes: I did.

Extra Thankful this year - to be walking again, pain free again, driving again ...and to have been out of the path of the fires. :praying:

Thank you, @1stSurgery I did have a nice Thanksgiving! Sounds like yours was also.
Let us know how the heels worked out for you. I had an occasion to wear them recently and brought flats along which I switched into after about three hours. It wasn't even my hips that bothered me, heels are not that comfortable and as I'm aging I'm going for comfort more than being a slave to fashion. We can still be fashionably comfortable, right? :yes:

I like your list of things you're thankful for. I hope you have a lovely holiday season and a happy healthy 2019
with your two new hips!

:nativity: :merry christmas:

Hello @1stSurgery - I haven't been on BSmart for awhile. Yesterday was my 6 month hipversary so I'm checking in with my hippy buddies. It sounds like you are doing well with the 2nd surgery. How did wearing heals go? I wanted to wear them for a wedding recently but had gotten rid of my nicer ones a couple of years ago thinking I'd never walk well again. I had one pair so put them on and the darned strap broke. So, I wore pants and flats (feeling frumpy and not what I wanted to do to celebrate the couple and my new hip) but I did dance wildly all night with no bad effects. Everyone was stunned and hubs tried not to nag or warn me of potential problems but it was great! Congrats on your progress!

Hi guys! Oooh I love the festive holiday emojis everyone is using!! Great to see you @Mojo333 and @Layla! Happy Merry Ho Ho Ho to you too and hope this Christmas finds so many of our Bonesmartettes in healing mode and drifting away from pain states.

It's been awhile since I've checked in and it's funny because today was my real test-drive day for the heels, even though I've been wearing them for about 5 days now....today was a very active busy schedule that involved loads of walking and stairs and more stairs and more walking. I always take my best comfy flats with me too when I'm road testing the heels, as a security blanket, and found that was a really good idea today.

I did the ankle booties with pretty high heels - from around 10 am to 3 pm or so. It was a little more than I should have taken on. Rubbed magnesium cream on feet and legs later to soothe the very mild aches! But I have worn heels out to dinner this week, (which involves very little on feet time) and had no trouble at all. Was kind of shocked at how well the maiden voyage of the high heels went in a restaurant!

This whole hip ordeal had shock value in the end, mostly at how wonderfully it all turned out and how (almost) "normal" I've been feeling lately, hip and leg wise. That's about the closest to normal I can hope for given proclivities towards oddness! :heehee:

Incredibly busy with work still to the point of not much else getting done, behind on holiday and everything else. But after so many months of massive inactivity and vying for biggest Netflix Sponge of the Year award.... it feels invigorating to be racing around and juggling a few too many plates again. For....awhile. Anyways.

@luvsibes, you go girl! Dancing Queen, she be! Happy 6 month hipaversary!! Isn't it so liberating to be back in action and have no pain!? Sorry the strap broke -but tis far better to dance wildly in comfy shoes - this I know!! I did NOT expect to be able to slip back into heels so easily and so soon but I think over the years my feet have literally terra-formed into a flesh version of Barbie feet from all the heel wearing mileage! :snork:

I am a walking Billboard for my OS now, Dr Benihana, chop chop. I find myself even telling people who don't need new hips to go see him! Ya never know... :) I can heartily say... I am one double-happy double-hippy these days!

Is is just me or did anyone else end up with more curvy hips from this, anterior method? I always had narrow kind of straight hips and suddenly I see this more hourglass thing happening and am wondering if that's.... uh, swelling?? The new me? The Kardashianization Effect of THR? It's definitely different.

Enough blabbing, take care all you beautiful hippies and know that the most wondrous world awaits at the end of the long recovery road! It's truly miraculous..
:loveshwr:

Oh and Ho Ho Ho!
:santa sleigh:

Hello @1stSurgery So great to hear from you and catch up. I was a bit out of it the last half of Nov with second surgery. Having an American Mum but living in Canada I do get confused as to which Thanksgiving to celebrate, Canadian in October or American in November. This year I was dictated by second surgery, so we celebrated in October! Sounds like you had a great US Thanksgiving celebration(s)!!!

It is great to be busy again isn't it. I loved being able to get to nine weeks post op first surgery, to get a glimpse of what I had to look forward to post op second surgery!

This surgery recovery has been speedy, but I still need to keep to the slow and steady to avoid the ODIC. So easy to experience set backs in the first month in particular. I am determined not to over do it!
Wishing you and your family the very best for the holidays and for 2019! :dancing:

:santa sleigh: :merry christmas:

Thanks @Alitm, and best wishes to you and your family for the holidays as well, and your four legged galloping family too! I hope your husband is doing well and has scheduled his surgery? I've been unable to keep up here (or anywhere!) but hopefully around February... things should return to a less hectic pace. I think you too will find that, bar any weird setbacks - there's a sharp healing curve on hip 2 after month 2. Having that sturdy other new but not-so-new hip to balance and walk with made such a difference for me once the initial first weeks of swelling and tissue repair were settled in. And I think that other hip having been done a few months prior really made stage 2 of the recovery process zoom by in month 2. A fantastic and freeing feeling!

You take care and I will check in as is possible to see how you're doing, you're going to be riding that horsey real soon I will bet!
:horseriding:

Now to indulge in a few more of those fun holiday emojis! Merry Christmas!

:kittychris::santawave: :dancing::kitty chris: ETTA :roseshwr:ALBERT <-- (That's for @EL11)

39FD9745-AD2E-48DA-9B3A-FF3D7AC32142.jpeg
Happy Hippy Holidays to you and Etta from me and Albert, @1stSurgery !

Awww, thank you Albert and @EL11! Etta is sending holiday love too and reflecting on how she misses the snow this time of the year. Being she believes she is Russian.... and Blue..... :)

Attachments

• IMG_1987.jpg
    IMG_1987.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 224
BEAUTIFUL profile pic of Etta. She looks too dignified for a Santa hat. I fear I may be disrespecting Albert by trying them on him.

Attachments

• 7B5A73B7-05C1-497C-944C-EFA06F4D3A2B.jpeg
    7B5A73B7-05C1-497C-944C-EFA06F4D3A2B.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 197
A quick late night drop in to say HAPPY NEW YEAR to all my fellow bonesmartee hippys!

I am in love with my twin hips!! I am finding myself in the odd position of now seeking the furthest parking spot away from whatever location I'm going to.... just to enjoy that stroll from the car to the place! Doing anywhere from 10-13 laps at the track now, (around 2 miles) Today was a cold and windy tour out there, but invigorating and always delightful to simply..... walk, run. I am just loving the way these devices work, enjoying everything about having moving parts....fluidly moving parts.

The outer thighs are still half numb and half tender, painful if pressed too hard. I am still not good for excited leaping dogs and cats who jump up on thighs. Ow. They do all do that... Or banging purses and random dooknobs that ...run into me when I'm not looking. Otherwise - it's all good. Can't think of much I can't do, being sensible still though for now. Heels are rocking it in the new year with no issues at all. The gait is back to my old NY stride walk, missed that for so long.

Spent Christmas day in the hospital with my mom-- whose past the shelf life replaced hip dislocated at 4am on Christmas Eve night. Again. Can't believe we got the OS to come in and do the reduction that night and got her home the next night, Christmas night. All plans got moved till later. She is strong to go through so many of these. The last few times, I could barely walk and was not much help. At least this time I was mobile and able bodied.

I do hope everyone here enjoyed warm and healthy healing holidays with loved ones nearby!!

@EL11 What? No Albert dressed up for New Years Eve?? I'm shocked... :) Etta sends a big tuna flavored kiss!

All in all, the New year feels so fresh with the new hips. Everywhere I amble I am reminded what it felt like not that long ago to be trying to walk up those stairs, get out of that car, make it into the bank, the market, the restaurant... Everytime I put on my socks or shoes I recall when that wasn't even possible or when it was so painful I had to deep breathe before-hand to brace myself. I always knew that the holidays would be the time frame when things would be pretty settled into place and about fully functionally. I'm at 3 mos and 6 mos out on righty and lefty. Feels like a year. Could not be more thankful for Dr Beni Hana chop chop chop and my titanium components! And of course for all the bonesmart hippy help during the recovery period.
:roseshwr::yay: :loveshwr:

Hip...hip.. hurray.. lovely amazing update.so wonderful to have our lives back.
Sorry to hear of your moms experience .. hope she will do well soon. My old hip is over 20 years old . Every six months I go in for X-ray to check for any spaces showing wear in the hip cup. Is your mom going in for a revision?

Happy New Year to you @1stSurgery! You sound great!! Loved reading your update...except the part about your poor Mum. Is there any resolution to her situation?

Never a dull moment here. Hubby's Mum back in hospital again, and I took him to the airport this evening to head to Bda for two weeks to see what is going on and help his sister out. He is due back here on the 13th to get over his jet lag in time for his hernia surgery on the 18th! Hips are GREAT! I came home from the airport tonight and blasted some music and was sort (as much as you can at almost seven weeks) of dancing in the kitchen to get over the stress and worry re: MIL's precarious health and losing Hubby for two weeks. Music is such a mood lifter! The hips just glide. The hip flexors and quads are trying to catch up with the tall and straight me who is back. Physio and massage therapist helping with that. Reading your post is so encouraging:yes!: !! So pleased for you!!
:loveshwr:Wishing you and your family the very best for 2019 :happydance:

@1stSurgery - It was good to see your post. I have sort of faded away from BSmart the past few weeks. We had out left hips done the same week. I am so pleased at your outcome. I'll be 7 months in a few days and my progress sounds much like yours. I still have the tenderness around the scar area when it's bumped but all is going so well. Happy Hippy New Year to you!

What a great update @1stSurgery
Thank You for that. It's so inspirational to those who have a surgery scheduled and those still struggling with recovery. I miss you and your quick wit around here but couldn't be any happier for you.
Wishing you only the best in the New Year.
Big hugs to you.

@EL11 What? No Albert dressed up for New Years Eve?? I'm shocked... :) Etta sends a big tuna flavored kiss!

I know, I tried a couple of party hat apps but there was too much commitment or I couldn't figure it out. Albert sends a Temptatiions-catnip-flavor kiss to Etta.

Your post was just the best; I'm so pleased for you. What you described about your somewhat numb somewhat tender thighs is what I have too. The right one is as you'd expected a little less so.

Happy New Year! I am super happy with my new hips too.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back