THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

image.jpeg
Empty plate. Waiting for cookies. ...... :loveshwr:

I have been through that thought process as well...no AVN but bone on bone endstage osteoarthritis at age 53...
what????
So far no issues with any other joints:fingersx:
Wore them out? Have always been very active and move around like a hyperactive kid...but good news is...I'm right back to it.:dancy::yes!:

Yes @Mojo333 I find that really young to have exhausted your last kicks, steps and climbs. And I'm also wondering how it translates internationally. Here on BS we see US and UK mostly ...what about South America, Europe, Asia, etc? What about all those native Pacific Islanders who don't even know what arthritis is?! :shrug:

From @EL11 re my question about right vs left hip, bad vs worse hips and relative recovery times
Parking here for posterity:

------------
@1stSurgery I am having trouble getting to your thread. Could you give me the URL, or paste in my response?
-------------
On a hip related note: I'm asking all double hippies to please weigh in if you could at my thread on the difference in recovery between each hip.... related to the degree of arthritic damage to each, before surgery. Trying to see if that relationship is across the board or random.
------------
EL11 said:

I had my right hip done first. The left hip hurt worse, which the OS said was because of something to do with blood not getting to the vessels, necrosis/necrotic/something like that. But the right was bone-on-bone and used to catch sometimes when I was walking up stairs, and I was afraid if I did the left first I could suddenly get stranded.

I had a lot more trouble sleeping after the first replacement. I'm a side sleeper, like many people, and it was torturous trying to sleep on my back, though the memory foam wedge sometimes made it OK. The worst part was that the hip would go into spasm and I simply couldn't relax. Though as I've said elsewhere I'm having this kind of smarting quad pain with the second/left hip, and feeling the need for more meds, that spasm thing is nonexistent. And I'm sleeping on my back with no problem, 7-8 hours at a time. I almost can't believe it.

Anyone who answers your question will be dealing with a different situation—not just because everybody's body is different, but there's some influencing factor at work with the other hip, like the arthritis there is getting worse or you strain it by depending on it more; in my case, I had the second surgery 7 weeks to the day after the first. I was walking unaided at that point but would have little setbacks. My gut feeling is that the short-term healing might have been 10 weeks for that side, but now I'm stressing it out somewhat.

Thanks for cutting and pasting, @1stSurgery It was a little too much for me to deal with, finding your thread and deleting my previous posting of the answer. What the the drugs and all.

You're relieved @lovesstars ...I'm icing too, first use of the Ossur and not sure I'm doing it right. Doesn't feel cold enough, just 15 mins, pad over one layer fabric. No Velcro strap holding hip pad on --but pad even seems small for the swollen area. Have it on "3" setting. Guessing the cold effect will be cumulative and feel more frozen soon! What gorgeous cookies though.... I'm seriously craving now!

Did you fill the Ossur cooler with ice — and one inch of water??? Because you should already feel and see icewater circulating on the white/plastic side of the pad.

Yes @lovesstars we put in water and filled with frozen water bottles, pad is loosely placed on hip... but not that cold. Do you Velcro your pad? Turned up to max to try for more cold. Before I was using Chatanooga ice gel packs, large, heavy, very cold. Hope this gets colder!

I see you're in the middle of a posting orgy - good on ya! Posting orgies kept me sane the first couple of weeks, and was the closest thing to satisfaction I could get with stitches.

Let me know if you get the Ossur sorted out - I bought one on Craigslist for the next go-round in the hope that it would last longer thru the night than the conventional bag o' cold synthetic stuff, but if it's gonna be a bust, I'm gonna put the thing on eBay and see what I can get.

Ok we just switched to real ice and it's getting better but I'm on Max, spinal tap number 11!
Will give it a half hour to kick in I guess. The frozen bottles weren't working for me. I need CCCOLD.
Hope this works. Hubby is now relegated to the "ice maker"... to add on to his various other household titles Chef, sous chef, picker upper, meal deliverer, cleaner, laundryman, leg lifter, etc. The ice man cometh!

Last edited:
Not sure this qualifies as an orgy yet @Bone-obo! But yes, it is a good way to help time pass. I'm desperately seeking colder to frozen for the moment. The ice is a definite improvement over the bottles, but will wait a half hour for a formal assessment of coldness perfection! Don't put on eBay just yet. I also read that having the unit near wifi devices can impede it's functionality...and it's smack between a cell phone, iPad, Mac, wifi printer, router, etc.

Really @Bone-obo ....an "orgy"..... Why I never....... :snork:

Hi @1stSurgery Sorry you aren't getting "chilled out" as you should be. We did four frozen bottles and some ice to start with, then the frozen bottles on their own. I have the machine going full tilt! I also have the hip pack velcroed to me! Not tight, but just so that I have the entire hip pack touching me. I found heavier sweat pants to be too thick a layer between me and the pad. Found that lighweight cotton PJ's the best layer fabric. In addition, at one point had two large heavy ice packs on top and bottom of quad, another on my knee and the final smaller ice pack on the outside of my calf. Two layers of throws over top to insulate...it was awesome! Now I'm just using the hip pack. Keep the layer thin! I do understand the desire for COLD!:ice:

Yep...I think the weight of the fabric layer may be one of the problems here @Alitm
I have my fall nighties laid out on the dresser, stacked up so I don't need to go into the closet for them, and the fabric is a bit heavier. May try just a cotton sheet between pad and skin instead. Thanks so much for the tip. Just posted over at your place, OS visit sounded fantabuloso! Congratulations! I'm happy you're being proactive re the next one and hoping they find a good time slot for it that works for you.

Grab some cookies while you're here! Hot from the oven, Lovestars baked them!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom