THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

Haha @Bionic - I hate when that happens. A perfectly good one legged tap dance...ruined by falling bloomers! I am thrilled that you guys had fun at my party while I was being a fool thinking ...Who me? Meds? Nahhh

@Alitm your friends story with the TKR hits home big time. I'm just sitting in bed now and recognizing the next day's duties are just pain management and rest. To catch up. I'm usually a fast healer in all things, a responsive body that always leans towards wellness so it makes me sometimes feel invincible and like I can skip stage two, take thy meds. I have learned. Thanks so much!

It's a beautiful day here and I'm feeling hopeful that was just a small pothole in the recovery road.

Husband made a table (yeah, he is left-brained) to track all meds and when I am taking them. Yes I also set an alarm in super early days. I am still using the table!! It is on pink paper!
I now have a light blue pad with all meds tracking @lovesstars! ...Next to bed. Im icing and feeling human-ish again. Been awfully weepy since yesterday! I made it down the 15 stairs to get to bedroom but have not ventured up. Fortunately hubby has resumed his butler role bringing trays down with food and drink. He has been great. I'm going to be fine. Learn from my errors new hippies and pay attention to the regimen when you come home from hospital. Last time I did only 3-4 days pain meds when home but somehow I translated that to mean no need for anything! Dumb dumb dumb.

I don’t know if you read my 4 week post op report...but the doc told me I haven’t been taking enough of tramadol and told me to take it more often. He told me I was struggling too much. And promptly wrote me script for another 40 of them. I had been trying to be too brave, turns out. No need to be Wonder Woman all the time, baby.

I don’t know if you read my 4 week post op report...but the doc told me I haven’t been taking enough of tramadol and told me to take it more often. He told me I was struggling too much. And promptly wrote me script for another 40 of them. I had been trying to be too brave, turns out. No need to be Wonder Woman all the time, baby.
Thank you, will go read it. And... You're right @lovesstars ...I shall downgrade to being Princess Leia for this week! :)
The tramadol says every 12 hrs so I'm going to do that. Am better now though ...but still laying in bed with the 72 familiar pillows. Not really moving. Afraid to try the dismount. We decided to plan a holiday party this year to celebrate full healing both hips, and give me something to look forward to while going through this, with happy smiley feelings.

So appreciate everyone's input here. The BoneSmart crew sure helps you feel you are not alone on this walk.

Welcome back 1st!! And congratulations on Hip 2! Yes I recall too well that the "angels of mercy have no mercy" when you want to sleep LOL! There's no place like home and you can look forward to lots of good and much needed sleep. And don't forget to ice! :ice:

Oh wow! I can feel that pain. So glad you have got it sorted. My recovery place drew up a chart with times and medicines including for constipation. The hospital had just discharged me with the meds but no schedule - and they forgot the blood thinners.

Hopefully you will see a real difference over the next few days and sounds like you have some great support I am beginning to wish I had never mentioned the Big Bloomers...

@SurreyGirl never ever ever feel bad in my room here bringing up big bloomers, tight bloomers - or anything else giggle worthy. I'm a worshipper and lover of Humor on any level, anyplace you can find it. So bloomer away!! I Appreciate. :)

@Ausman thank you so and I do hope you'll find the answer to your ankle swelling and pain and be able to focus on the hip recovery more. Wishing you luck with it all!

@Apricot ...lol, big tights?! Don't worry, I kinda missed the party myself. And it was my party! I declare it a week long party. @An54 will just have to extend the decor and band rental. I know @Bionic is good to perform her now infamous one legged tap dance again.

The Oxy is working guys!!! (In case you can't tell) Alert the Media! Pain meds help take away pain! It's true. I slept till 5 and made another bathroom round alone with a bit less pain. Got log leg hoisted back in bed with a little less screaming. Took another oxy and feel I'm on the path towards recovery now where things improve. I was the biggest baby last night!!

All in all right hip has proven more painful and the surgery took over an hour whereas lefty took under an hour. He was always Mr understatement though. And righty was the drama queen. I love that they provide videos of your femoral head now. You have solid evidence the pain was not in your head, well...it was in your head...the other head. Still so impressed by that added consumer benefit! I need to find a proper musical soundtrack to the video. "Going out of my head....over youuuuu...outta my head...over you"
__ or maybe the Talking Heads. Open to suggestion. :rofsign:

The oxy must be kicking in.

Last edited:
@1stSurgery and @lovesstars I made a basic chart too, to keep my own head straight! I have something concrete to refer to....
With all the brain fog we get its hard to not have a chart. Hubby suggested this as a soundtrack to my femoral head video.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you're dealing with such pain. It sounds like you had a horrible time getting settled in at home.
I hope things calm down soon for you.
Big hugs and wishes for a peaceful overnight.
@1stSurgery

... We decided to plan a holiday party this year to celebrate full healing both hips, and give me something to look forward to while going through this, with happy smiley feelings....

@1stSurgery , So sorry to hear about the rough start. Hopefully that will have been THE post-surgical big pain bump, and now it's all gradually downhill from here. So to speak. :) You know what I mean.

I agree with planning something to look forward to. Speaking of being cheered by thoughts of future holiday parties etc, I have booked my own trip reward. Officially it is my birthday present. Call it what you will, it's something that's been on my bucket list for a while-- to take the train across Canada, from Vancouver to Halifax, in winter. I have yet to encounter another person who has any interest in such a trip, so I am taking it alone. I booked a wee single cabin on Train #2, which takes 3 days and 4 nights to get to Toronto. There I will stay six nights with my cousin, then get back on the train to Montreal, change trains, then another night and day to Halifax .
The train cars date from the 1950s. I took one last October from Toronto to Vancouver. Dining cars, Observation cars, lounge cars...

I have my AirBnB booked in downtown Halifax, in a cozy heritage home close to the railway station. Why a train trip in the winter? I'm guessing it dates back to watching Dr Zhivago decades ago. I can't even remember any train scene, but I do remember winter scenes. I think it will be very cosy in the old '50s white-linen-napkin-style dining car, rolling across the frozen white prairies. I very much expect the there will be a blizzard, and we will be snowed in on a siding for days. It will be just like an Agatha Christie novel. I may have to assemble a 1950s wardrobe.

So I agree that planning something to look forward to is very cheering, those 'happy-smiley feeling' thoughts so conducive to healing, wouldn't you think?

@An54 so we have the Sailor and the Agatha Christie winter train-taker! Sounds like a match! Well it does have a poetic lure, your frozen train trip. Hopefully the coaches have good reliable heating. I've always wanted to take the California coastline trip. Your trip sounds like a lovely birthday plan for you though!

My post recovery trip plan, well I have two in the mind, first is Death Valley in the spring, especially if it's a desert bloom year. Used to be my regular retreat for hiking and soul searching. Second is a trip to Ireland with my Irish friend. A place I somehow managed to never visit despite many trips to Europe and UK. It is good for the spirits to plan ahead when we are stuck in bed with 72 pillows and an ice pack.

@An54 and @1stSurgery If you fancy a fine art museum tour in Europe I'd love to join you! The winter train ride sounds fabulous. We have Irish friends want to the do whole Alberta BC train ride next summer, which we Bermudian/Canadians feel will be good fun with wonderful scenery. Being of semi tropical origins, not sure how we would handle the winter train tour. Perhaps the beautiful desert is a better choice for us! We were due to do a tour of Ireland, with our older twins, the summer we were pregnant with our third, but I had too much nausea :sick:, so we only made as far as PEI. Haven't made it to Ireland yet! We did name our third child Liam however!

As for me, I'm practicing the movements in the low level dressage tests I'll be riding my young horse in next summer as I tour around the house with my walker. I focus on rhythm, quality of gait, 20 meter circles (where I can find the space...I don't) and straight lines, as I will be with him! Luckily I won't be riding higher levels with him yet, as that would require some lateral work and walk pirouettes, and I don't think either hip would like that :heehee: Won't even discuss Piaffe and Passage, as that requires a lot of knee lifts, and would injure me for life at this stage of the game! :elevate: I'll be calling you two for freestyle music ideas! I need one, two and three beat pieces please, preferably all within the same music genre :fasthorse:.

Wishing all recovering hippies a comfortable night, whether it be in a bed will multiple pillows, a recliner or couch. Which ever sleeping location you choose, hope that op hip (s) and surgically tugged (for dislocation) knees are encased by ice machine pads and frozen gel packs and that your meds are working! :sleep:

What lovely posts! Definitely cheered me up. I will let you know how it goes with my consultant. I hope he actually has a proper discussion and doesn’t just rabbit on about my weight.....I need some answers re my rocovery rate.

Sounds like all your holiday plans are going well! I love the idea of the train trip in the old carriages. I splashed out on first class on BA to the Caribbean. Only 14seats in the cabin and hoping to get spoilt rotten. But that is all to come next year!

@An54
Wow, that sounds a fab trip. Strange that you can't find anyone else who is interested. I love the fact that the train cars date back from the 1950's. I am a Dr Zhivago fan too so I understand where you are coming from.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom