THR 1st Surgery has 2nd Surgery

1stSurgery

graduate
Country
United States United States
Hello and thanks for such an informative forum for us hippies!!

I'm not only a first time THR but a first time ever even in a hospital overnight. So the whole ordeal was overwhelming. I'm now 2 weeks post op, have been a reader here to help assure my progress was normal-ish. And I think everything has been very smooth but wondering when that knee will bend more etc.

I'm doing the PT on my own and not sure if I'm up to speed. Was off walker on cane last few days, doing stairs twice a day (15 each way) and 5-10 min walks. Exercises 3x/ day.

Aside from a bizarre stye in the eye (!) that cropped up, no major complaints. I went off eds early on, they messed with my digestive system too much and the pain has been very tolerable (anterior).

Been exceedingly healthy most my 65 yrs, very active also and not on any medications except supplements so that has helped I think. But because this is so new to me, I want to avoid being too "precious" or cautious with that leg and slowing progress. Should I be walking without a cane yet? Or more walking?

Sorry for long intro post. Thank you for helping me get this far before I signed up!!

Oh and also, this intermittent but profound FATIGUE!! I was an insomniac high energy person most of my life but I find myself now nodding off uncontrollably here and there. Normal??

@1stSurgery Welcome to BoneSmart and the other side of the surgery journey!

First - can you give me the exact date of your surgery and which hip? I'll pop the information in your signature for you.
And I think everything has been very smooth but wondering when that knee will bend more etc..
At only 2 weeks out it's very early days for you. Give your body time to heal. Everything has been traumatised by the procedure. Are you icing and elevating. It will even help that stiff knee (see the article below).
doing stairs twice / day (15 each way) and 5-10 min walks. Exercises 3x/ day.
No need for any of this. Rest, ice and elevate. There will be plenty of time for exercise when your hip is healed.
I want to avoid being too "precious" or cautious with that leg and slowing progress.
Pushing will only slow your progress. Ease off and relax - there is no pushing THR recovery.
Should I be walking without a cane yet? Or more walking?
At 2 weeks out - no! Most people need several weeks on a cane. I ditched mine at 6 weeks post op both hips. When you start forgetting the cane that's the sign you can begin to wean off it. Until then use it to gain strength and confidence.
Oh and also, this intermittent but profound FATIGUE!!
Read the article below on Energy Drain. It's real and you just can't fight it.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Absolutely normal! Even small tasks will wear you out. Your body is putting a lot of energy into healing!

As for walking without any assistance devices, I will tell you what my OS and PT said... use it till you can walk without a limp. Personally I think 2 weeks post op is a little early, but we all heal at different rates!

Welcome!
I'm a newbie too and luv the forum ~ 6 weeks post op today!
It sounds like everything is going smoothly for you - YAY : )
I progressed the same as you...very quickly and having to take very little medication!

My surgeon told me at my 2 wk. post op check up to "take it easy and not push it" due to the fact that I too am very strong, healthy and active. He said I was at a higher risk of fracture and dislocation due to my strength and flexibility....(I too had anterior) that freaked me out - who wants to go thru this again?

I stopped "pushing it" (I'm talking wall squats and moving up and down against the wall - ridiculous at one week post op) it's not boot camp....and simply let my body heal ~

I did and continue to do my PT and walk every day, usually a bit longer than the previous and am feeling great now!

Hang in there and don't "rush" things...hips pretty much heal on their own...so try to be patient (the hardest part for me and many...) your body will be back to normal in no time! You'll also be able to bend your leg and knee as time passes...mine was tight for the first 3-4 weeks...every week gets better ~ I think the 4th week was when I noticed a a big change, in the 5th...I got depressed (hence my 5th week....depression post) because I was feeling great but couldn't do the things I normally do : )

It's a process and we're all in it together : )
Sending you positive healing vibes for a smooth recovery moving forward!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much Jaycey! All very helpful. I was afraid of not moving forward in an abundance of caution but it seems I'm ok and should even back off some. The stairs, I have to do ...since that's where the FOOD is! And my poor husband has been my butler for two weeks, I don't want to overwork him and for such low tips.. :heehee: ! But I'll just continue ice elevation and walks, mildly, and be patient with my poor knee that so wants to bend. I was an avid hiker in the hills here, 4 mile hikes, it was my passion. I think it did contribute to the swift decline of the hips this past yr. Being so dependent is a huge education on man levels for the more active patients. Vulnerability, learning the grace of accepting help and how to ask for it. And dropping so many things!! :)

Also, I had just added the signature already - re the hip surgery and date so no need, thanks though.

Look forward to reading the energy drain article, that threw me nodding off so much.

I live in a hilly area so walking outside isn't practical here sadly, and I'm seriously bored wheeling in circles around the bedroom but soon I can have someone drive me down hill to the track which is spongey material with lovely gardens!

My personal tip for the depression has been 10-15 min sitting on the patio sessions in the sun listening to the birds.... But really listening in a meditative focus fashion. It can be the simplest things that lift us up. After 10 mins I feel refreshed and ready to take on the next heel slides!

honeybeast, good to know, thank you! I do always try to follow what the body tells us, like....sleep! It was just such a dramatic surprise how tired you can get out of the blue. I'm now between hip icings and eye stye hot compresses so one eyed one legged wonder trying to get around a maze. And I think I've fallen in love with my grabber. Found myself showing off to visiting friends all the things I could forklift around the bed. Wan some crackers? Here let me grab them!! Lol!

I was reading your thread earlier! I relate to your impatience, as I said, this seems hardest for those who were formerly most active. Dancer, yoga, tennis and hiker.

Plus walk walk walk climb climb whenever I could. I feel blessed that we live NOW when it's so perfected and it is truly amazing how fast we heal in the bigger picture. I however would not be thinking squats anytime soon!! Brave girl!

Very interesting re the higher fracture risk being strong?! Didn't know about that. Everyone's input has helped so much, thank you all. Now I need to tend to some business, my computer is set up so I can work comfortably for short periods.

Happy to have joined this group!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you're a smart cookie....and you "get it" so just hang in there and remember to ICE ICE ICE:ice:
it served me well ~ 24/7 for the 1st 3-4 weeks : )
Be well and stay in touch!

Welcome to BoneSmart!
I'm happy you found us. I think you'll like it here. You'll get lots of support, advice and encouragement.
It sounds like you're progressing nicely. Energy Drain, stiffness, Post Op Blues....all normal.
The articles Jaycey left you will confirm that. Make sure you read them, they're interesting.
Stop by often with updates. We'd love to follow your journey.
Wishing you all the best!
@1stSurgery

My personal tip for the depression has been 10-15 min sitting on the patio sessions in the sun listening to the birds.
Spot on - sun and quiet time with the birds. Definitely therapeutic.
And I think I've fallen in love with my grabber.
I bought 2 grabbers pre-op LTHR. One was fine at first. But I needed one to pick up the one I dropped so ordered a second. Pre-op RTHR I ordered a third. One upstairs, one down stairs and one in case I dropped one! I still use the silly things!

We just got grabber #2 from Amazon for upstairs too! Aren't they a wonderful invention! I feel better now with the backup since I was imagining the catastrophe if grabber one broke! I'm very co-dependent on my grabber. But it's unconditional love!! ❤️❤️

I have one question forgot to ask. I also depend on this leg lifter thing I saw recommended here and it's been super useful for a simple not that well made little wire thing. I call it my leg forklift. But.... I still use it to get in and out of my tall bed. I wonder if it's time on week 2 to go without it? I notice there is now FAR less pain if I make a quarter inch wrong turn on the getting in/out of bed routine. Before it took some real choreography to get it right.

Do you guys use this thing? If so, for how long after surgery? TIA!

Hey Newbie ~
Thanks for your sweet reply on my thread, I'm glad I'm able to inspire you, please know that you'll get there too (on the mile walks)....you go just a little every day maybe 50' in the beginning....then a little bit more every day or so but don't over due ~ take it from someone that did that just after my 2nd week post op....NOT worth it : )

I think keeping the hips aligned as much as possible is the key, if that means having a fork lift to help when navigating a bed, chair or couch....then use it : ) We're not trying to be rock stars....(well I'm not at least)
we all just need to heal and heal properly so give yourself a break, use whatever you need to make your life easier and pain free ~ and don't worry about "loosing the cane" or any assisted device quickly!

Who cares if you have a little help : ) I certainly don't...slow and steady wins this race....hey, maybe that's why I've been able to walk a mile + in my 5th and 6th weeks.:wink:
Sending you positive healing thoughts today and wishing you a smooth pain free recovery moving forward~
j

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the encouragement. Slow. And. Steady. It is. I'm like you in the patience Dept, a bit low on that virtue and accustomed to everything moving at rapid fire pace. I'm working from home on some complicated documents at the moment which is a good distraction from the boredom actually. But I look forward to getting to the nearby track to walk a mile!! Thanks again and keep it up.

Hi Newbie . You sound great , moving forward.

I’m in the middle of week 3. In the beginning, I used a yoga strap to lift my leg..someone else suggested a bath robe sash. For the past few days , I’m using the cane , so I would hook my foot in there and lift it up.. Today, I’m just flying solo. Leg up.No assistance..Itty bitty steps.

That’s what’s so great about this process. The little things that make you happy. Everyday stuff you never thought about before become a small victory.

(Please, don’t tell My Hubs...I enjoyed loading the DW using my little grabby stick.)
I had good days and bad moments. And baby, they were bad.

This is a good resource.
Healing hippy thoughts to you.

Thanks AR! I am now officially off the leg "forklift" - with that leg weighing a ton that's what it resembled... And also getting in and out of bed without tools! Feels good to actually notice each little strengthening each day. Still want that left knee to bend more, heel slides don't seem to be bringing it up much further yet.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad days. I think so much mood wise is a result of the cocktail of drugs from surgery forward and of course the body's response to the sheer trauma it has undergone. I cannot stress how valuable I've found my patio sun sessions to be for mood. We're lucky to be having an amazing June, for weather, and I always make time to park the Walker with that soft memory foam cushion and plop down to listen to the birds, take in the sun, replenish vitamin D, and just breathe. I'm now using the bedroom deck as my walking space with the cane also. 20 laps = 10 mins... after that my OTHER UN-operated hip starts hurting. Need to do that one next. While I walk I can see baby lizards, watch red tail Hawks circling and enjoy nature. My deck has beautiful views but soon....time to go out in the real world and drive!

Wishing you more gentle healing and strength every day Annie ...and let the birds sing you out of da blues!

Howdy hipsters, I had to catch up on some work and haven't checked in till today. I'm having what appears to be a relatively easy recovery so far, maybe slow in some areas but I like being deliberate and gentle at this stage. Tomorrow will mark week 3 and I'm thinking of having my friend with the large sensible easy to "mount" car (Escalade) drive me to the track down the street for some real world walking with cane. I'm not ready to attempt my own very low ergonomically insane sports car seats yet! Hubby might have to reel me out of there with the grabber! But my friends car has this nice little ledge to step up on and so much leg room, she drove me home from the hospital in it. She's coming late afternoon and hubby is concerned there will be too many runners and people on the track at that time but I doubt any runners are going to plough into the blonde lady hobbling along with a cane!

Otherwise I'm finding most of the bizarre sensations in the op leg are diminishing now. That feeling like there's a chicken wire cage just under the skin that at times is being tightened and clamped on the muscles, stretching the skin. Not a fan of that one. Someone please tell me you have that too ?? Also get pains in the op leg outside lower quad muscle, just above the knee. That must've been an area that took some manipulating during surgery or something. The wound itself I don't feel much of anything.

That's the update. Other than I'm able to fix some very basic meals now but really prefer when my husband does it!

I hope all the hippies are enjoying a smooth and healing week!

:heehee:
That feeling like there's a chicken wire cage just under the skin that at times is being tightened and clamped on the muscles, stretching the skin. Not a fan of that one. Someone please tell me you have that too ?? Also get pains in the op leg outside lower quad muscle, just above the knee. That must've been an area that took some manipulating during surgery or something.

Best description I've heard. Couldn't quite get that description down, but certainly know how it feels.
And my quads were super sore for quite a bit.
I had anterior, and I'm pretty sure they stretched them over to the side so they could get in there!:scaredycat:

Lots of things still hanging in there, so be kind to your poor leg and don't over aggravate it.

All sounds like normal recovery mess, and your sense of humor appears to be in tact...so I'd say you are off to a brilliant start!

Hope all continues to go well!:ok:

Ah thank God you had the same thing! Sometimes it can be acute like some form of torture --then it just subsides. Plus I'm still numb on most of the outside of the thigh. Now I know it's time to venture out there so that's the next step. Thanks for the confirmation!

Humor is what got me through the surgery by the way - without panic. I'd decided, being a hospital virgin, the only way I could go through with it would be to exercise my strong sense of denial and delusion, some useful tools on the right occasion! So about a week prior I told everyone I was just going to check into a resort hotel for a spa-cation. (My hospital is near the ocean..) from there I kept embellishing the story and kept it running right up to going into the OR.

I remarked "how nice" when they put me on what I called the "massage table" When the nurse came with her clippers I told her I was happy the package included a free waxing. One nurse I made into the aromatherapy girl and the best was when the anesthesiologist came in! He was all business and professional when he said I had two options, referring to general or regional. But he didn't know I had just designated him the Sommelier, wine steward of the spa. So I told him, yes I know...Red or White? Another nurse came in with her scrub cap on and I exclaimed "look! We have the same hat! Nordstrums?"

This went on to the point of everyone having such a nice giggle pre-op that there was literally no room for fear or panic to even sneak in. Endorphins, what a blessing! And I believe, based absolutely nothing but strong hunch, that a calm relaxed body heading into surgery is going to perform far better and tolerate it better than a nervous frightened one.

Now for next hip I may need to come up with another strategy since they know me at this hospital now! :loll:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back