BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

1day 7hrs 18 mins & 5 seconds till admission - but who's counting!

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by SlowPedro, Aug 11, 2017.

1. SlowPedro

SlowPedro New Member

Australia Australia
    RH TKR - Zimmer protocol (whatever that means?) Monday 14th AU time.
    The hospital wants me in at 15:00 the day before - apparently some pre op tests, medications and the whole nil by mouth thing.
    I live alone in 2 story house so, bed set up downstairs, fridge stocked with microwavable meals, shower chair and toilet stand/support thing set up. Bag is packed and the taxi's booked.
    I must admit to a fair bit of trepidation, only other "surgery" I've ever had was a vasectomy 30 plus years ago - whist it was stressful in own way :heehee: this is whole new level of angst. Never had a general anesthetic before.
    Anyway see you on the "other side"!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    Tags:
  2. Canada35

Canada35 Member

Canada Canada
    You will be fine SlowPedro! We will be waiting on the other side to help you through the down days and celebrate on the updays!
    One of the experts will way in here soon with some great reading material for you while you are recuperating!
    Good luck!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. KarriB

KarriB Forum Advisor Staff Member Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Welcome to BoneSmart! You have a few days before surgery, so enjoy the weekend and do something fun. It sounds like you have things ready for post op! I'll leave you some reading that may help you to know what to expect.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

• Like Like x 2
  4. SlowPedro

SlowPedro New Member

Australia Australia
    Thanks for the links ladies -

The energy drain one certainly makes sense - a fellow a work likened his first part of the recovery a few years back as a one month long hangover.

I'm off to buy some safety pins and extra pillow cases to sort the elevation thing out, have the cold packs sorted hadn't thought of the elevation.

All the best. Peter E.

• Like Like x 4
  5. pajstone

pajstone New Member

I am right behind you SlowPedro - US time. Best of luck!

• Like Like x 2
  6. SlowPedro

SlowPedro New Member

Australia Australia
    Yes you Pajstone.

7. Ruby9297

Ruby9297 Member

Hi @SlowPedro, I,remember my husband's vasectomy and it was nothing compared to a TKR. I'm sure he felt a bit sorry for himself, but nothing a bag of frozen peas couldn't soothe for a couple of days. He had it done on a friday after work, then was back teaching kindergartners on the floor again by Monday morning. A TKR on the other hand, is a bit more involved,and requires more than a weekend taking it easy with a couple of bags of frozen peas! Do your homework, and if you can possibly get someone to stay at your house the first week, or even the first couple of the nights, youll be glad you did,Smart move on your part to prepare meals, but calling out for delivery is also an option. I learned today that Uber has has a handicapped option (don't know if that's regional) but it's available where I live in Northern California. They send vehicles that can handle our special needs for getting into and out of cars. Also lifts for wheelchairs. Set your alarm so that you are taking pain meds every four hours no matter what. Have your meds, water, meds, and crackers at your bedside table so you get medication before pain descends and you can't get ahead of it. Keep a small note book or or clip board, And write down date/time of every medication you take. Believe me, you'll be so out of it sometimes you won't remember what you took or when, so making it a habit to write it down every time really helps. I have written everything down, and in addition to keeping me on track. I can look back on when I needed more or less pain meds and tried to match with what was going on on a particular day. Depending on what kind of dressing you have you may be able to shower right off the bat, or not for as much as two weeks. I was able to shower right off the bat because of the type of dressing I had. I was taking as many as10 showers a day because it helped tremendously with muscle and nerve pain that no one warns you aBout. If you cannot shower for more than a week, YUK! Get those premoisened cloths. Not the same as warm water and soap landing on your skill, but at least it freshens you up a bit and that always makes you feel better. I also got my doctor to prescribe gabapentin for the nerve pain. Works like a charm.muscle pain responds to massage. I have a large electric massager, but using your hand to massage calf and thigh where you feel knots and pains helps,as well as moist heat. So a heat pad near and massager near the bed is also really helpful. A variety of different sizes and shapes of pillows are a necessity. You will not find one position that keeps you comfortable all night long, so having different pillows to elevate higher, lower, between knees, behind neck, under knees, between knees' whatever, is good to have. Make sure you have some way to ice your knee around the clock, and always after PT. I have an ice machine, but I also have ice packs on hand in the freezer in case the ice machine needs to be refilled and I'm too tired to do it because it's 2:00 am and I just need to sleep. Read the info sent by the moderators on this forum--all good and helpful information. All the best to you! See you on the other side!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum