TKR 19Nell62 Pre Op Journey

19Nell62

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi there. I am due to have my second tkr (left side) on 6th October, 8-months after having my right knee done. To say I'm nervous is an understatement. I am not worried about the surgery, but the long painful slog and sleepless nights which will follow. I have recovered quite well from my first surgery but still have a degree of tightness and outside tendon/ligament pain. Colleagues have tried to put me off having it so soon but I need to get it all out of the way in one go so I can get on with the rest of my life. I feel that this time next year I will be well on the way to recovery. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has done the same as me. Thank you

@19Nell62
I moved your post and started a pre op thread for you, so we can follow your preparations here. Best wishes as you prepare for knee #2. We’ve had lots of members who have done their knees this close together.

My colleague @Sisterpat had both knees replaced in a short space of time. I've tagged her so that she can come and chat with you here.

@19Nell62 I'm due later this year the 2nd replacement on my right knee, the first was in 2019 although both knees were as bad as each other here in Portugal they won't do bilateral or surgerie close together. Like you I'm not nervous about the surgery, it's the after .. everything is reversed, before I used all the weight on my right knee now I have to learn to switch so I can relate to your concern but just think, this time next year you will have two good bionic knees, this is what keeps me sane and determined to get my knee done.
The positive is that we know what works best, what pills/medication, what is needed in terms of medical aid and what is not, at least you will still have everything , that is a good thing having the ops close together x

My knees were done a couple of years apart, but I'd think by 8 months you'd be in pretty good shape for your second.

Thank you for your replies. My surgery got cancelled as my surgeon had to take emergency compassionate leave. It has now been rescheduled to 12th November. This hasn't helped my mental state at all, I just want to get it over with. Now my first knee has decided to misbehave again with stiffness and ligament pinging, (I think I overdid it a couple of days in the garden) but it does feel strong enough to compensate. Due to Covid I wasn't offered much in the way of rehab before and pretty much went it alone with my physio, but now I am hoping I will be at least offered a knee class to help both knees.

Oh, I'm sorry. Mentally that would be very tough to deal with.

@19Nell62
Sorry to hear you have to wait another month for your surgery. I have updated your team membership from October to November, where you will find others having surgery around the same date as yourself.
Wishing all the best on November 12th!

@19Nell62 I know what waiting is like. I originally scheduled my surgery for August but do help issues for as I recovered I had to wait until Oct 11th. Read everything you can on bone smart it was my best friend during the wait and it calmed my nerves so much.

:wave:@19Nell62 Join the club ... there appears to be quite a group of us having our 2nd knees replaced in November/ December.
Like you my new good knee is also playing up, but I think it is because I'm trying to get everything in order and as my right non operated knee is extremely painful I'm relying on my left knee to support it and take command.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MrsFeinbe
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom