TKR 19 months post-op pain and swelling

Jayhorse

Country
United States United States
Hello everyone, so happy I found this forum.

I am at the end of my rope! 19 months and have more pain now than before surgery. TKR was 6/15/16, I had arthroscopy 1/17 to clean out any scar tissue. I'm so swollen I need to wear a compression stocking everyday for the last year. My ROM is good and my strength is good.

Here are the tests my OS has done already. CT to check for loose implant (NEG), Vascular study (NEG), Metal allergy testing (NEG)

I am now looking into having allergy testing for the bone cement (methyl methacrylate) also antibiotic sensitization testing since they are usually mixed with the bone cement and I'm highly sensitive to antibiotics. I would also like a bone scan done to see if any uptake is shown.

I have total faith in my surgeon it is my body that is rejecting the knee. I just need to figure out why and what part. I am not living like this for the next 15yrs.

Any thoughts , suggestions appreciated.

@Jayhorse ,
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!
What type of testing did you have for Nickel? Skin patch or a blood test.
Here is an interesting thread about nickel allergies. Allergy Testing
A few more articles for you.
Metal allergy in joint replacement
Metal allergies and knee replacements
Metal Allergy Screening Prior to Joint Arthroplasty
Metal allergies investigations AAOS 2013
Nickel Allergy Concerns

I am going to tag @Josephine our Director and Forum Nurse to address your concerns.

I had the patch test and nothing came back positive except for a bad reaction to the adhesive of the tape. My Insurance does not cover the blood test. I never have had any issue wearing nickle jewelry or watch bands etc.

Jayhorse,
Recommend you have the blood test. We have had members with negative skin tests, and turned up positive with a blood test. They can test for both metal and a cement at the same time.

also antibiotic sensitization testing since they are usually mixed with the bone cement and I'm highly sensitive to antibiotics.
The antibiotic used in bone cement is Gentamycin. This has been routinely used in the bone cement for joint replacements since the early 1980s and the reports of sensitivity as so low as to qualify for a negative.

Jayhorse,
Recommend you have the blood test. We have had members with negative skin tests, and turned up positive with a blood test. They can test for both metal and a cement at the same time.

There is blood test for the cement? I will have to ask my OS about this and my Insurance co. Thank you

I spoke with my DR today and he wants me to have the blood test with Orthopedic Analysis in Chicago, IL. Only problem is my Insurance does not pay for it :sad:. If I pay all that money and it comes back Neg then I'm out all that money for nothing. I really can't afford this test:cry:

Only problem is my Insurance does not pay for it :sad:. If I pay all that money and it comes back Neg then I'm out all that money for nothing. I really can't afford this test
I think peace of mind is priceless and would be worth every dollar. I'm going to have it done before my next tkr.

@Jayhorse. I have just read your thread. I have had nearly five years of pain post PKR and TKR in same knee. It has been a long and painful five years. I wasn’t prepared to live with the pain for the next 17 years either. I have had numerous tests done to determine the issue. I suggest if there is any way you can find the money for that test you should do it as quality of life is much more important and health comes first. Good luck [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Do the test if you can find the means to pay for it. Knowing if you have an allergy is important; knowing that you don’t have one is just as valuable. Peace of mind really is priceless.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom