19 days out-Crappy Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sofa King

Hi all,

Brief Bio: 19 days post-op from a Left THR, 38 y/o M, 5' 11", 240lbs, North Mississippi, from advanced avascular necrosis of the femoral head. Prosthetic is a combo of cross polyurethane, ceramic head, and 25 centimeter titanium post. (Yes, I've seen the post-op X-ray, the thing goes all the way down almost to my Patella! (knee cap)

Well, I've been doing fairly well, ambulatory with the walker, still sleeping in a recliner, (but going to try the bed again tonight or tomorrow), doing PT exercises myself 2-3 times a day, and still on Lortab 10's, stepped down from Percocet 10's 4 days ago.

OK, so I woke up today, and didn't have a pill all night, and decided I would see how I felt without taking ANY pain meds today; to see what my pain level went up to, and to see if I had any withdrawl symptoms.

I woke about 0830, and it's 1930 now, and about noon, my pain level grew to about a 4 just sitting in my chair and channel surfing. One thing I've noticed is that I'm absolutely exhausted, and even though I slept about 7 hours last night, I've been drifting off here and there all day, and don't have the energy or desire to even get up to pee. In fact, I've been using my hospital receptical today, and I quit using it about a week ago! I can't seem to stay awake, nor do I want to, and on NO MEDS X 22 hours! I wonder if my narcolepsy is a side effect of withdrawl from the hydrocodone?

I finally decided I'd better get up and walk around a bit (with the walker) about an hour ago, so I went to the bathroom, then the kitchen, and almost didn't have the energy to get back to my chair! My pain only rose to about a 5.5 though, and decided I'd have a pill when I made it back. One thing though, while in the kitchen, I reluctantly stood straight up and slowly put all my weight on both legs evenly, and noticed (! NO WAY!) that my left (surgical) leg is about a half inch longer now than my Right! Bummer! Will this self correct, or am I going to have to buy those atrocious shoes with the lift, or thicker sole!?!?

Anyway, I made it back to my chair, and I feel like I ran a marathon. In fact, I'm having a hard time keeping my eyes open as I write this. I took a Lortab about 10 mins ago, and don't feel it yet...

What was the saying? "3 steps forward, 4 steps back, 2 steps forward, 1 step back..."? I feel like I went 7 steps back today... Ok, I've blabbed enough...

~Dalton

OH DALTON, KFC....REMEMBER.....,

What were you thinking....love all those....I drove at two days post-op....lol...You just had major major surgery.....What the h$#@ were you thinking....but remember....everyone heals differently....
And, I will repeat it again, three steps forward, five steps back, two steps forward and all steps forward....but that is meant to be at about 6 to 8 weeks.....Pain meds, are meant to be taken at your stage every 4-6 hours...If you want to cut back then take less every 4-6 hours.....Do not wait until you are dying....By then...too late....Just wake up tomorrow and reavaluate KFC and all......Patty

Dalton,
I've done the no drugs (except trazadone to sleep) at nite. When I wake up I can barely make it downstairs to sit on my chair, take 2 percocet and wait until it kicks in.
I told my doc this last week, so he just prescribed more percocet. During the day, I don't keep close track of the time, but I have been going 6-7 hours in between doses.

Talk about the steps back. 2 days ago I decided to start walkin in the neighborhood. I use crutches and headed around a giant block. That nite I thought the hip area hurt. Did the same last night and it does hurt a lot. I just did a smaller block . Still hurts in lots of places and yes I had taken 2 percocet.
I'm not going to walk less though. My doc when I asked him how much I should be walking said it is hard to say, but I will know when I overdo it. I guess I have been overdoing!!! Doesn't seem like I am doing much to me.
I've had 2 days this week where I stay in bed until 10am. Go downstairs and by 2 I am back in bed kind of reading, mostly sleeping until about 6pm
Today was not one of those days, but there are a lot of them.
I guess the bodies need the time.

Tomorrow might be better!!!
Judy

OH DALTON, KFC....REMEMBER.....,

....love all those....I drove at two days post-op....You just had major major surgery.....

I agree!...19 days is pretty early in the game. I tried stopping meds after 3 weeks on the advice from my boss that "you shouldn't be taking Vicodin...get off that stuff". Went cold turkey. By the end of the first day my stomach was in a knot...my nerves were shot, and I became worried and depressed about being off work for no reason. Why did I need pain meds?

When I told my wife...she said maybe I should not just suddenly stop taking the pain pills..so I took 1/2 a pill...In 30 minutes, I was feeling good again and making progress.

Stay with the "doctor's orders"..worked the best for me, and every one here seems to heal at different rates. Best wishes...

Dalton-
One day at a time. Early on I accused my wife of trying to kill me for the insurance. Fortunately I was able to blame it on the meds. Last week I could have sworn my left leg was shorter than the other. Made sense, I always favored it but after a couple days of PT this week I forgot all about that. When I did concentrate on it I realized they were both about the same length. Were all in the early stages of healing and maybe what seems like a Monday will be different on Friday? Are you able to get the leg up and out of the bed yet? Hang in there.
-Gary

Hey Dalton
Forgot to mention the leg length thing. My doc told me before I got out of bed that the muscles will make the operated leg seem and feel longer. I can't remember if the muscles are tight, stretched whatever, but my surgical leg feels much longer than the other
My surgeon assured me that they are the same length.
Judy

Patty, Judy, Gary, and Newwheels,

Thank you ALL for the words of encouragement and wisdom! I took the Lortab about 10 mins before I wrote the initial post, and after I'd finished it, I realized that "all was (beginning to be) well again". Seems sad to say, but I guess I'm not ready to go cold turkey yet. That must have been the Airborne Soldier in me, subconsciously barking, "Suck it up Soldier! Get on your feet and drive on! Pain is just weakness leaving the body!" Lol! I guess I'm still trying to realize that I'm not 19 and 180lbs of lean muscle anymore... almost 20 years ago! I won't try that again. I still have about a dozen Lortab 10's, and I'll take them like clockwork every 4 hours, broken in half, to make them 5's. That should last another 3 or 4 days, and then I'll see how I feel, and if I still need a little more, I won't be ashamed to ask for them. (Seeing the OS again on Monday). As far as the 'overlength' left (surgical) leg, I agree; I've barely walked on it yet without assistance, and it seems feasible that the muscles haven't "sucked into their natural balance yet". Thanks for the "positive reinforcement" you guys; this website has been invaluable for my recovery, and undoubtedly it would have been much more difficult without you, my fellow post-ops!
~Dalton

Now you remember about going shopping tomorrow....on the other thread....As I said, I think I would take it easy and watch the LifeTime Channel....at home....lol.....

LIFETIME!?!?!? Hey, I'm a GUY, remember! LOL ~NO, I actually have a sensitive side, but mostly I watch Discovery, Spike, History Channel, Nat'l Geo, TRU TV, (used to be Court TV), Science Channel, and Family Guy; obnoxious, I know... OH YEAH, don't forget Animal Planet, A&E, Biography, Military Channel, (Oh boy, I have been spending WAAAY too much time in front of the TUBE!!!)

~Dalton

Can't remember how many times I've said this here but it's not ONLY the meds that make you tired, lethargic and sleepy - it's the healing.

Healing tissues use up a LOT of energy and consequently you don't have it for being active. It's the body's way of telling you to chill out while it takes care of business! You need to co-operate with your body, to strike a balance between the PT and the rest. Both are equally important. When it's time for you to get up and hit the road, your body will let you know.

Thanks Josephine,
For some strange reason, I for one, need to keep being reminded of that healing part!!
Judy

Glad to have been of service!

Yes, I went out today, against the advice of my wiser peers here, short jaunt to Wal-Mart, but it all went well, and I feel better for it. Maybe I'm healing faster than I thought. Although, I will definitely "chill" tomorrow! Seeing the OS again on Monday, and I think that'll be enough for the day, plus I'm going to ask to start going to outpatient PT...

~Dalton

Nope Judy,

I didn't! I DID get a tad irritated, being it was Saturday evening, and very crowded, and 80% of the folks there at WM acted like they didn't see me, and would cut right in front of my scooter, then stop, talk, block my way, etc. Mostly kids and younger folks. I didn't want to be rude, so layed off the little beep horn, lol, but a couple of times I DID want to knock some of THEM OVER! ROFL

~Dalton

I didn't know they had horns. I was thinking of getting one for my walker if I had to use it after the hospital.
Proud of you for not knocking people over, it must have been a great temptation.

Judy

Yes it was quite a temptation! Judy,

Not really though, I'm a pretty laid back guy... I did entertain the thought once or twice... And, the do have little horns on the Wal-Mart buggies, but it just kinda beeps really low... most of the time I just sat there patiently until they moved...

~D.

Takes an AWFUL lot of patience to negotiate a supermarket in one of those things. I'm sure people think you can move sideways with them!

Too funny about the cart!! I get the opposite reaction with my crutches. (I have to use them to off weight my hips while walking so I don't have to take too many pain meds)
My daughter gets a big kick out it. She says people act like they are going to break you if they come into contact with you. Families pulling children out of my path - she finds it too amusing! I am relatively small in stature 5'5" and 125 lbs but delicate is something I have never been accused of. ;)

donna

Hi Donna,

I lost a remote to my cable box somewhere and somehow, Jess (Wife) got me a new recliner while I was still in hospital, and we think the old remote was tucked into the old recliner, and left with it, when it was disposed of. Anyway, I went to the local cable office today, (which was part of a local Kroger grocery store), and there was about 30 folks in line waiting. I shuddered when I walked in with my walker! I got one of their motorized scooters to sit in while I waited in line. Once I got up to the front after a 55 minute wait, they had those metal cordon posts with the felt ropes to direct folks in line, and I knocked 2 of them over with my cart before I finally got to the front! LOL A couple of kind souls helped me right them and, I could see the pity in thier eyes; nobody asked why a youngish guy was in a darn scooter, and I felt compelled to tell them! ~Anyhow, I bought a new remote, ($5.00), and paid the cable bill to boot. I was SOOO tired when I got home, I had to take a full 10mg of hydrocodone, then chill for about an hour before I felt better. OK, I guess that (above) was pretty pointless to post, but I'm just blabbing...

~Dalton

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks