Knee Infection* 19 days and still-a tiny hole in incision site

sealevel

Country
United States United States
I had my knee replaced on aug 28, 2019, then had infection. Ive had 3 additional surgery's and now, 9 months plus after start, I am having a problem with the incision site not closing entirely. A small spot a little bigger than a pencil point is still having discharge (red small amounts). I am worried sick that it is going tom get infected again! I have been keeping a sterile bandage over the spot, but the discharge is sticking to the non-stick pad and seems to pull off every time I change it (twice a day). Should I leave it off and see if it closesmup? Or, keep it covered. AS i said I am worried that it will get infected if it doesn't heal soon.

@sealevel Welcome to BoneSmart. Can you please give me the dates of your surgeries and which knee?

sealevel;
I had ltkr February 13 and I had the same problem. I got an infection near the bottom of my incision where the stitch didn't seal good. I overworked it on cpm machine and incision opened up like yours. Dr. cleaned it out and put me on antibiotics for a month. told me to keep it covered with a bandaid. like you; it would open back up every time I changed bandaid. I finally removed bandaid and massaged it twice a day with alcohol. I left bandaid off and it finally covered up. I still have a small bump under the skin; but no redness or heat around area. I believe I would leave bandaid off and keep hands and everything away from it. hope you get better soon

thanks for your response. I was told by my dr that I shouldn't use alcohol on the unhealed spot because alcohol will kill the good bacteria that help heal the wound. But I did use alcohol to clean it for a few days before he told me that. Yesterday I thought it had finally closed up, but then in the afternoon I noticed a small discoloration of the bandaid. But I have not looked yet today. My daughter is an occupational therapist and she has convinced me to only change the dressing once a day, so I am waiting until later today when I take a shower. The dr told me that bI could let water run over the incision site, but I have been hesitant doing that due to possibility of infection. I have washed it with antibacterial soap and water once a day for the last few days. I see the dr again tomorrow so maybe it will have closed up by then.
Thanks again for your post

I'm sorry you're still having problems so long after your initial surgery, @sealevel .
I've put your TKR date in your signature, but please will you also tell us which knee it is , as well as the other surgeries you had afterwards, and the dates you had them?

We really do need some more information, so we can advise you appropriately.
  • Did you have to have the original knee replacement hardware removed for a while?
  • Did you have a course of intra-venous antibiotics, and are you taking antibiotics now?
  • Have you had an Infectious Diseases doctor on your treatment team? These ID doctors are the best at interpreting test results and helping your surgeon decide on treatments.
  • Is your surgeon aware that you still have a wound that is discharging? (If not, please let him/her know.)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom