THR 17 May 22 THR

Sharr76

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all, my op was done on the 17th May 22 so I’m just over 3 weeks post op.

I’m down to one crutch and walking fine with it. I’m purposely forcing myself to weight bare on my operated leg which I’m doing ok with too. I can walk a few steps without a crutch too but not far.

How long is it before you can walk unaided?

Also I’m struggling so bad with sleeping at night as I have to sleep on my back which I have never done. My feet also get get hot and aggravated which also keeps me awake. I have tried cream and soaking in cold water, works for a while but then they start playing up again.

Do you wear you compression socks 24/7 as I’m getting conflicting advice.

When can you get in the bath, I’m full of questions.

My shower is over the bath so it’s been sink washes only for me for the moment.

I started physio this week too which they say I’m doing good.

I see my surgeon on the 5th July then.

I posted a pic of my war wound too on the other thread.

Great to be amongst others who have and are going through the same thing as me.

Hello and Welcome to Recovery! Congrats on your new hip.

Don't stress about walking unaided. It will happen naturally that you’ll find yourself walking away from your assistive device.
Also I’m struggling so bad with sleeping at night as I have to sleep on my back which I have never done. My feet also get get hot and aggravated which also keeps me awake. I have tried cream and soaking in cold water, works for a while but then they start playing up again.
Try surrounding yourself with lots of pillows, it may raise your comfort level. If your feet get hot and it disturbs your sleep, are you able to keep them uncovered while you sleep, or keep them uncovered wearing very thin / lightweight cotton socks?
Do you wear you compression socks 24/7 as I’m getting conflicting advice.
You should follow your surgeon’s recommendations on this, but many surgeon’s don’t even prescribe compression socks. You could check in with your care team to see if you can wear them for less time at this point.
When can you get in the bath, I’m full of questions.
Again, best to follow your surgeon’s recommendations. My OS was really strict on this and advised me to avoid baths, hot tubs, lakes pools etc for three months.

It seems you’re doing well. I hope you have a nice weekend!

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi all just an update. I’m 6 weeks post op today and doing well. Walking unaided and managing to walk 2 miles a day. Helping me to build up my strength again.

I’m sleeping better but still on my back and I wake with awful low back ache. It goes when I get out of bed.

I’m on paracetamol when I need it but not often.

I still have a slight limp though and I’m hoping that will sort itself out soon.

I’m just looking forward to having a normal life again.

Good to hear from you, thanks for the update.
I still have a slight limp though and I’m hoping that will sort itself out soon.

Here’s a tip -
Try heel-toe walking when you're limping.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

I’m just looking forward to having a normal life again.
It’s coming, slowly but surely, you’ll get there!

Just had to chuckle…as I was typing above I caught an auto-correct, thankfully.
I typed “slowly but surely” you’ll get there and it auto corrected to “sorely” but surely you’ll get there. Have to laugh since there is truth to that!!

All the best as you continue healing!

I’m impressed you’re walking 2 miles a day already! Is that accumulative or all at once?

You’re 2 days ahead of me. I’m walking all over my house lots, up and down stairs as needed, also unaided. However, I can’t seem to get beyond 1/3rd of a mile, outdoors, once or twice a day. And I walked 4 1/2 miles daily before surgery.

I keep stepping into the over did it club, ever so slightly, and have to scale back my walking. First I tweaked the soft tissues in my left hip joint area and had to spend 3 days mostly elevating and icing.

After I recovered from that and was once again walking pain free, I went up and down my 14 steps many times in one day, trying to get the upstairs chores caught up. (I felt great that day), but then once again, had to spend 3 days elevating and icing!

Finally yesterday I woke up to zero pain and am back to 1/3rd a mile once or twice per day. I can’t wait to get to 2 miles!

I also have my OS appointment on July 5th. Take care.

Hi all,

Update after 8 weeks post op. Went to see my surgeon last night and he is happy with my progress. I have a slight limp but he says that will go in time. I can now drive and sleep in my side. He had also said I can sit in the bath but I’m reluctant as I’m not sure how I should be getting in it or out of it. I have a physio session on Friday so I’m going to ask her the question.

I trapped a nerve in my operated hip too today and I’m currently led flat stretched out to try and release it. Anyone got any other suggestions to release it. It’s rather painful, in my knee and cheek bum too. :)

But other than that I’m doing ok.

I’m impressed you’re walking 2 miles a day already! Is that accumulative or all at once?

It was a mile in the morning and a mile in the afternoon. It’s only the past few days o am managing to walk two miles in one go.
You’re 2 days ahead of me. I’m walking all over my house lots, up and down stairs as needed, also unaided. However, I can’t seem to get beyond 1/3rd of a mile, outdoors, once or twice a day. And I walked 4 1/2 miles daily before surgery.
I walked a lot too before the operation. You will get there it just takes time. I still have a limp but my surgeon says it will go eventually.
I keep stepping into the over did it club, ever so slightly, and have to scale back my walking. First I tweaked the soft tissues in my left hip joint area and had to spend 3 days mostly elevating and icing.
I gave a trapped nerve in mine today. Not sure how I did it. I’m currently led on my back stretching it out and hopefully it will go.

After I recovered from that and was once again walking pain free, I went up and down my 14 steps many times in one day, trying to get the upstairs chores caught up. (I felt great that day), but then once again, had to spend 3 days elevating and icing!
Finally yesterday I woke up to zero pain and am back to 1/3rd a mile once or twice per day. I can’t wait to get to 2 miles!

Glad your pain free now though.
I also have my OS appointment on July 5th. Take care.

How did it go. I saw mine too last night (5th July). He says I can drive now and sleep on my side.

Great news on sleeping on your side and driving again. I’m sorry you’re dealing with some pain though.

I trapped a nerve in my operated hip too today and I’m currently led flat stretched out to try and release it.
Hmm, how about rest, ice for inflammation and OTC meds temporarily. Hopefully that combo will help ease the discomfort.
I have a slight limp but he says that will go in time
We normally recommend using an assistive device until you’re no longer limping. Possibly your surgeon doesn’t agree.
Here’s a tip - Try heel-toe walking when you're limping.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

Have a great rest of the week!

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Nice to hear you’re back behind the wheel and hopefully side sleeping comfortably. If no yet, it will come.
Have a great week and stay in touch! :)
@Sharr76

@Sharr76 , how is your recovery going? It's been awhile since you've posted. July 6th, you were able to walk 2 miles in one go. Then you had a pinched nerve. I hope you have gotten over that pain.

My walking has finally taken off and I have walked 3 hilly miles each morning for the past week. I am thrilled to be walking again.

Let us know how you are doing, if you feel like it!

Hi @Zoebichon im doing great. I’m just over 11 weeks post op. I gave no hip restrictions at all. I’m back at work too. I completed a 60 mile charity walk for the month of July for cancer. I managed that by breaking my miles down into days. I can walk now about 6 miles but I’m tired after that. I know if I have over done things as my hip reminds me with a twinge, I take it easy then for a few days. I’m glad you have managed to get out walking too, it does make you feel tons better. I see my surgeon on the 3rd Jan and hopefully he will sign me off. Xx

It sounds like you're doing great. Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Enjoy the rest of Summer! :SUNsmile:
@Sharr76

Hi all, THR 17th May 22 and doing amazing. I had my 4th Covid jab and flu jab yesterday and my hip is aching like mad. Is this a normal reaction?

I never had any hip related aches after getting shots or jabs as you say.

Had my flu shot about a month ago, didn't even feel it and felt totally fine after.

Had my covid booster and flu shot the same day about 2 weeks ago. Only sore arm of covid shot for 1 day.

Had my flu shot last week. Totally fine and no increased pain in hip.
Hope you are feeling better today!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom