BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] 17 Days Post op

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Lesel, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Lesel

Lesel new member

Feeling down still very stiff and painful . Had LTKR on Aug 7 Feel like haven't achieved much and sleeping less last few nights I take 2 oxy and one gabapentin st night but wake up 3 hours later

2. Carole4815

Carole4815 senior

United States United States
    Sorry that you are feeling so down, and so much in pain! Don't forget to ice, elevate, rest, and don't overdo. You will recover, but it does take time.

My LTKR was 6 days after yours, and I have had some ups and downs as well.

One of the forum advisors will post here soon, as they do in each new recover thread, with lots of recovery information that may be helpful.

3. Lesel

Lesel new member

Thank you

4. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Welcome to recovery, @Lesel .

Unfortunately, sleep disturbance is very common after a knee replacement. Make sure that you spend plenty of time resting, icing and elevating your leg, and taking your pain medications on a regular schedule.

Here is the recovery reading we give to everyone - lots of useful information here:
    Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

5. Bionic

Bionic post-grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Lesel
    Right about where you are now was a pretty bad time for me too. You expect the initial pain/soreness when you have had an op but by 2/3 weeks later you are thinking that you should be able to beat this thing. Thats when the depression starts. I found sleeping was a nightmare. I couldn't get comfortable in any position and no matter what I took in the way of pain relief it didn't seem to help very much during the long long nights.
    My stiffness and pain and swelling went on for some weeks and I began to wonder if I would ever get any better. I read on here of people who had a great ROM shortly after their op (not me) who were able to do all the housework (not me) who could take the dog for a walk (not me) who could go out with friends (not me). Sure there is a lot to feel down about.
    BUT, I am living proof that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Its just over 25 weeks since I had mine done and I am beginning to feel that I have joined the real world again. For the last few weeks I have been able to go out on my own (without my partner worrying about me), go shopping, go to the gym and begin to feel 'normal' again.
    Your time will come. Just be patient.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lesel

Lesel new member

Hey Good Morning
    I am now four weeks post op things are gettin better not as much pain am off opioids getting by on Tylenol but the last three days have felt very dizzy laying down cos of it I took Dramamine which helped somewhat but still have it careful being careful
    Not to fall but wondering if I should be concerned or will this pass drinking plenty of water but have mild diarhia .

7. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Diarrhea can lead to dehydration so drinking lots of water is called for. @Celle, do you have any other suggestions?

8. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    If the dizziness and the diarrhea haven't stopped after a couple of days, you should see your own doctor/PCP.