TKR 17 days post -op aches and pains are expected

Hippin CC

Country
United States United States
Surgery is scheduled Thursday October 27, 2022. I had my left hip replaced 2016. I know this is going to be very different recovery, looking forward to eventually being out of pain!
-Left knee had ACL surgery 30 years ago
-Cortisone shot 1 or 2 , can’t remember
-Left knee meniscus surgery 2018
-Tried 7 Red laser treatments
-Tried Stupariz injections (3)

cc

Good plan to start your recovery thread early. Some reading...

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

We are all different, as are the approaches to recovery. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart will offer advice and are there to help. The advice may vary, but YOU are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:

There are also some cautionary articles here

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Best Wishes for your surgery tomorrow!
We'll be watching for you on the healing side to cheer you on as you begin recovery.
See you there soon! :wave:
@Hippin CC

It's been a little rough since Friday, not gonna lie. I regret not asking for stronger pain meds from the start by my past experience w/ hip,surgery. I explained to my Doctor that I did not do well with Oxy. I understand some people do fine with it. Everybody is different. I was prescribed Norco, Tylenol, and Aspirin. Tylenol I am a little leary of taking too much as i have elevated liver enzymes due to a fatty liver. The surgery went fine- after 4 tries of spinal which did not work, they went with general anesthesia. Well, there goes some more brain cells apparently : /
I went in early Thursday morning and home by 1:30 pm.

Friday night I was super uncomfortable, feeling a lot of pain. Woke up every two hours. Sent a note to the docs office and the hospital transition coordinator. Saturday I was put in touch with the Doc on the phone, poor connection. I could hear him say start taking some Ibuprofen which I did and it helped. Sat night I was worried about the pain and sleeping, I ended up taking one 10 mg of Oxycodone HCL ( happened to have a couple in hand) and I slept soundly from 10:30 pm-4 am. The issue was that all day Sunday i felt absolutely horrible, I mean really, really bad. Not so much pain from surgery but just really really horrible. My body doesn't do well with Oxy.
I am much better today, sticking to Norco and Ibuprofen. I will add a little bit of Tylenol to the mix and see if things get even better. Doing a few exercises, and walking with the walker and cane, It's swollen and warm and icing it every hourish.
I had someone stay with me three nights, and have had friends stop by and bring ice and replace it in the ice machine for me (Bregg).
Tomorrows a new day and everyday I will get better!

My list of items that help:
-Tangerine / Oranges helps quench the thirst
- Bendy straw cup with ice water
-Wedge to elevate leg while icing
-Long belt ( seat belt material) that I use to lift my leg up with over the tub and up on to the sofa, wedge, and pillows.

@Hippin CC Welcome to Recovery.

I‘ve moved your post above out of the Monthly team thread as we reserve that thread for surgery date information, and so members can see who else has surgery the same month. We prefer all other comments and discussion to take place in a pre op or recovery thread, such as this one. Enjoy interacting with others who are on the same journey, here in this thread. :flwrysmile:

It sounds like are coming along ok, the early days can be tough. We’re here for you. Best wishes for a great recovery!

I will add a little bit of Tylenol to the mix and see if things get even better.
As long as Tylenol doesn‘t bother you, the most effective way to take Tylenol is 2 x 500 mg tablets every 6 hours, to a total of 4,000 mg (4 doses) in 24 hours. You need to take it regularly, to keep up the levels in your bloodstream. If you just take the odd dose now and then, it's far less effective. Be sure to check other meds for acetaminophen so that you can include that dose in your daily count.

I used frozen water bottles with water just to get to the fill line in my Polar ice therapy machine. The water bottles allowed me to control more of the function and were easy to swap out. Early on I used 6 bottles and always had 6 more freezing and that allowed me to ice all day. Later in my recovery, I'd use 3 or 4 bottles per session since I was not constantly connected.

I second the frozen water bottle trick. I have 12 half liter bottles lined up. Four can fit in my ice machine and the other 8 are in the freezer getting frozen solid. On warmer days I have to swap the bottles out every 4 hours or so. Now that the weather is getting a little cooler they last closer to 6 hours, but having 8 in the freezer assures that I never run out. It’s a lot less messy than using ice.

Thanks-‘I’m doing this now with water bottles!
Are everyone’s knees still swollen, and hot to the touch but not red at Day 6? I think I need more cheese with my whine…..

Last edited:
Here is the link to the Knee Recovery forum where you can read other member’s threads.

I’m a day past 5 weeks. Most of my swelling has gone. There’s still some there but it’s not noticeable unless you poke and prod around a little. My knee is slightly warm to the touch, not hot anymore but noticeably warmer than the other knee. It stayed red hot until a few days ago. Every knee recovers differently but this may give you a rough idea of what to expect.

Last edited:
@Hippin CC
The early weeks are crazy, indeed!
Keep up with your pain meds, use that ice machine ALOT and elevate. Just take it easy, don't do too much. Just getting up to go potty is enough for now. Once you get the swelling down you'll feel much better.
And don't join the ODIC (over did it club)
I was madam President at one time:heehee:
I'll be following your recovery thread.

I had my post-op checkup with my OS today. She told me my knee will stay noticeably warmer than the other knee for a full year, so I’ll likely want to keep using the ice machine at least 2 or 3 times a day for quite a while. That’s about where I am now. I ice first thing in the morning and before I go to bed, usually once mid-day (but I’ve skipped it a few days), and after a more strenuous activity like PT or a long walk. Even though I’m having a “better than expected” recovery, the knee being warm or even hot to the touch is perfectly normal and won’t go away anytime soon.

I am 17 days post op and I have quite a bit of pain in my gluteus maximus, gluteus minimus, and IT band. The middle of the night is the worst, when the first hydrochodone wears off, then I wake up and take another~ need to start setting an alarm to wake up before round 2 of the pain. I was hoping to be off the hydrochodone at this point, to no avail. Taking 800 mg ibuprofen 2-3 x a day and 2 hydrochodone at night. Melatonin now to help me sleep, per physician.

Pain is normal from what I’ve been told and read ~ we just had major survery and every body is different. Had my first post-op doctors appointment 3 days ago and she wrote me a prescription for massage to help with the soreness,

I have been getting in some walking today without the cane, and also went up and down the stairs a few times -there are 20 of them to get to the laundry room-my friend was carrying my laundry bags for me. Feeling confident, wonder if this will affect me tonight as I try to sleep, my second PT appointment on Thursday put me over the edge in pain later that evening. My PT says I’m doing really well, and that it is going to hurt when I do the exercises , however, not sure if I should be in that much pain latter though. :/
I’m at 90 degrees bending The knee.

Recovery to be continued….

cc

It sounds like most things are coming along well.

My PT says I’m doing really well, and that it is going to hurt when I do the exercises , however, not sure if I should be in that much pain latter though.
I disagree with your PT. If it hurts when you do the exercises, or within 24 hours after, then you are not healed enough to do those particular exercises.

Regaining our ROM does not require forceful bending or painful exercises.
Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:

Thanks-‘I’m doing this now with water bottles!
Are everyone’s knees still swollen, and hot to the touch but not red at Day 6? I think I need more cheese with my whine…..
@Hippin CC
I agree with water bottles. Be sure to remove any wrappers off them as they will start to break up and pieces will get through into the pad, plugging it.
Good luck with recovery.

I also notice that I need to change the water in the ice machine out about once a week. Algae starts growing in it and I can hear the pump laboring a little more than normal.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back