Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

TKR 16 months out ..... surgery to clean up scar tissue?

Jackrabbit

Country
United States United States
Hi to all! I have struggled with my TKR. February 2019. I have good range of motion and good stability. Still a lot of pain which leads to it still being weak. Painful on stairs and uneven surfaces. Still pain at night a lot of swelling and now a lot of grinding on flexing of the joint, especially from sitting position with weight on it. Just saw surgeon and he wants to open the knee back up and remove scar tissue. Not arthroscopic! Full reopening of the knee. Am going to get a second opinion of course but wondering if any have had this sort of experience? Thanks for your help!

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Jackrabbit Welcome to BoneSmart! Can you give me the date of your surgery and which knee? I will put the information in your signature for you.

At 16 months out I doubt if you have scar tissue that needs removing. This recovery can take over one year or more as you are seeing. What is your activity level now? Have you done any physio?

Are you icing the knee at all? Ice will help reduce the swelling that is causing your pain.

I think it is a very good idea to seek a second opinion.

I know your surgery was some time ago. But I'll leave you our knee recovery guidelines. It's not too late to get back on track with this process.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for TKRs

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

sistersinhim

Country
With a good ROM it's very unlikely that you have adhesion. If you over-exercised your new knee it's possible has set up chronic pain. I also suggest that you seek another opinion. Someone that your current doctor would have no contact with. You will need an unbiased opinion.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @Jackrabbit - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacement and which knee it is, so we can make a signature for you? Knowing the exact date will help us to advise you appropriately .
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

OP
OP
J

Jackrabbit

Country
Left knee. Total knee replacement February 20, 2019. Went through regular physical therapy until target range of motion was reached. Am at 130 degree plus range of motion now.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Anthonyb
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom