THR 14 Oct out yesterday morning

Paddles10

I have to admit getting discharged less than 24 hours after is kind of "tough love". The meds are good and I have all available up to narcotic. Took first tramadol this morning which was a good choice. This ice machine is a good deal, I'm betting the oxi is going to stay in the bottle as I can take up to four tramadol a day and one 6 hours back layered on tylenol and celebrex works fine.
Are there worries with cold injury from the ware/ice machine or can you keep it on?
The rest of this, the ankle, calf flex, the up for 10 minutes every two hours pretty much the same as '12. Once again good to know you're all here. Thanks

Hello @Paddles10 - and :welome:to recovery.

Please will you confirm the full date of your hip replacement and which hip it is, so we can add it to your signature? Knowing the exact date will help us to advise you appropriately.
Thank you .:flwrysmile:

Are there worries with cold injury from the ware/ice machine or can you keep it on?
There's no danger from icing as long as you want to, provided you have some material such as a dish cloth between your skin and the icing medium, to protect your skin.

Here are our recovery guidelines to help you:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Hi, Total right hip on 14 Oct. Woke from anesthesia at 1134 after 2 hour procedure. Depuy titanium with ceramic ball like my left one. Discharged by 1115 on 15 October.

I have to admit getting discharged less than 24 hours after is kind of "tough love"

Do you have someone with you? The thought of being discharged at 23 hrs frightened me a bit also, but once I was settled in at home I realized I preferred it over the surgery site.
I hope your pain is well managed allowing you to rest easily.
Wishing you comfort as you begin healing.

Thanks. My wife is with me. We're six hours from home and will likely head that way tomorrow. Home and the recliner from the first hip is the best place to recover. The tramadol sorted out my discomfort this morning. I won't wait to long before I take a second one and will definitely have one plus an anti nausea before the car ride.

Congratulations on your new hip and welcome to the double hippy club. Have a safe trip home. Make sure you take an ice pack for the ride home. It will really help. I was 1.5 hrs from home and found the ice really helped with all the extra movement in and out of car and sitting for the ride.

I agree, ice is my friend. We're 6 hours across central Idaho. A lot of wild country and quite a few stops. It will be good to be home.

That’s a lonnnng drive! I hope you can keep the pain at bay and maybe get some sleep in the car. You'll be so glad to be home...I think we all do better in our own nest.

You might want to seriously consider the oxy before leaving on that long a drive. The car is a bad place to be if you get behind the pain curve.

Safe travels, if you haven’t left yet. Consider a small cooler with some ice packs for the trek. If you’re already home, I hope you’re resting comfortably and your pain is well managed.
Happy Sunday, you’re on your way to better and better! :happydance:
@Paddles10

Good Morning! Made it home. Took almost 7 hours. Three stops for short walks, taking time to take advantage of the beauty of the Sawtooths on a sunny fall day. Laid the seat pretty flat in Cathy's car, actually more comfortable than the bed. Settled into the trusty recliner where I am still and likely will be for the next 10 days. No meds on the trip, Tramadol just before departure and one on arrival home. Calf exercises throughout the trip for circulation. I would not have want to travel any farther. A real difference over my left hip. I would only have been getting out of the hospital today. Instead I'm home. Trust me, no happy dance for some time. :)

@Paddles10
You got this! Personally I think the anterior approach is a bit oversold in terms of recovery time; it is still a major surgery and the post-op period is still plenty sucky. What sold me on it is shown in your profile pic - my life as a rider and horse vet is a bit rough-and-tumble, and anterior approach seems to offer a lower risk of dislocation over the long term.

You will be back to riding your beautiful horse in no time. I had my hips done in the opposite order - I knew it was time for the surgery on the right side when it became a dire struggle to swing my leg over the saddle.

Hi Hipster-2, My vet when I was a kid always said he'd specialize in avian if he had it to do again. Personally I'd rather a pony than a parrot. Looked at the anterior before the first one and the doc was not really high on it due to muscle mass. Spoke with Nick Skelton, another rider who has had a hip done and used the same prosthetic. It has worked well. With regard to the dislocation thing, fortunately riding positions the leg well to minimize the possibility. I've come off once in the 8 years. Someone I should not have been riding, just remembered to give up while I still had some control of trajectory, that and a healthy dose of luck and everything worked out. He is somewhere else now. We foaled the gray here and she likes me. Only 5, very athletic and well balanced. She stays under me even when she's being a youngster. Can't wait to get back on but doc says March or April. She'll be almost 6 then. What a difference that year can make.

Two week check today. Off all meds but low dose aspirin. Increase weight bearing from 25% by 10%per day for the next 8 days. 100% on day 9 pushing the walker for 3 more days, then a cane. Rehab for the next month: simple stretching and range of motion plus stationary bike spin 10 minutes low watts 3 times a day.
Pretty conservative I guess but I'm happy to move forward to this next phase.

Excellent report! I believe I have the same prosthesis as you. I’m impressed you are off all the meds — I am still reliant on Advil for pain. Sounds like good, steady progress.

Hello and Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you had a relatively smooth transition from walker to cane. That was a happy day for me in my recovery. Enjoy the rest of the month and stay safe. :wave:
@Paddles10

Hi, Thanks. I was more than ready for the cane and hobbled about around the house really well for a couple of days. Pushed it a little and went shopping with my wife yesterday. Two 30 minute walks with a car ride in between. Felt a little twinge a couple of times like a tendon or muscle changing position. Ended the adventure. Back in the recliner today doing knee lifts and very light stretching.
Just riding the stationary bike per the Doc other than that.
My biggest problem has been what seems to be dermatitis from the adhesive on the bandage over the incisions. It has not blistered like the pictures here on the forum but it certainly itches. Benadryl 50mg doesn't seem to touch it. Our GP prescribed a topical steroid which has definitely calmed it down. Incision was closed with a mesh vice strips. Anyone else experienced this?

With my first I developed a rash on my side above the incision that itched like mad. My OS told me to use over the counter Hydrocortisone cream and it worked to calm it all down. My incision had clear tape for 2 weeks that I couldn't wait to get off.

Yes, this was the clear tape over the top then gauze and then the mesh. The 1% hydrocortisone OTC didn't touch it. Definitely can't wait to put this behind me!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88