TKR 13 weeks and counting

I’m sorry you’re still in pain. I hate hearing “work through the pain”. It does not have to be like that. I did physical therapy but I interviewed a couple therapists prior to my TKR and found one that does not force anything, who agreed with gentle, you stop when I say do therapy.

Every single day in the Facebook group I tell people “just say no” to people regarding PT. No one listens.

@Roy Gardiner I guess I'm glad I didn't see this forum sooner or I probably would not have done any PT because it was very painful every time. But I straighten at zero and have 126 bending. I know a few people who quit therapy and now have problems using that leg. I just want a great pain free leg, that will allow me to participate in life again.

@InkedMarie I said NO NO NO on the inside. But I guess that doesn't count. Thursday is my last PT . Hallelujah !

I know a few people who quit therapy and now have problems using that leg.
I know quite a few that never took formal PT, just did their daily activities, and they, myself included, have no problems using our legs. Every knee is different. I know my body and after 11 knee surgeries with no PT following them I'm doing just fine. This recovery is a personal thing for everyone of us.

A good physical therapist can be of help. I did PT and exercises and they hurt a bit but not to the point of agony or making the situation worse. My PT also said if it hurt for more than an hour after doing it, that was a sign I did too much and to scale back a bit. Then try again in a couple of days. One of the main things my PT advised was icing because there was no way I'd get the knee to bend with that amount of swelling.

In your case Sam67 it sounds like you got good bend but are dealing with the effects of being back at work early and the fact that you're not even 12 weeks from surgery. Most of us find that even at 12 weeks we're still a bit uncomfortable, especially if doing too much. I was back at work and mostly feeling pretty good, but far from feeling perfect. Pacing your activities is still important. It's trial and error. Like sistersinhim says, it's a very individual process.

Last edited:
@Jockette , @kneeper , @sistersinhim ....thank you all for your advise. The big picture I'm getting is ...slow it down , get more rest. I really wasn't worries until two days ago when there seemed to be some fluid on the new knee. Waiting for my OS appointment Friday and hope it's all good news.

Fluid on the knee is pretty normal. It's swelling. You will have this off and on for a few more months. The best treatment for that is ice and elevation. You aren't even 3 months into a year's recovery. Please realize that you'll have lots of ups and downs. This is normal, too. Stay here and we'll help ease your mind.

@Roy Gardiner I guess I'm glad I didn't see this forum sooner or I probably would not have done any PT because it was very painful every time. But I straighten at zero and have 126 bending. I know a few people who quit therapy and now have problems using that leg. I just want a great pain free leg, that will allow me to participate in life again.
We are all different. Your good ROM might be the result of PT, so might your continuous pain now. Our contention here is that you don't need pain to gain ROM.
The big picture I'm getting is ...slow it down , get more rest
Exactly, it's what we're all saying.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties