TKR 12 months post opp

Tragie169

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi everyone l had a total tkr left knee in May last year but still don't feel quite happy with it yet. It still gets stiff and sore especially on the outer side not sure if this is normal and I now seem to have developed plantar fasciitis in the foot of same leg which seems to be affecting my knee. I feel like I've taken a step backwards in my recovery and I am feeling a bit miserable and scared,I never thought it would be this hard.

@Tragie169 Welcome to BoneSmart! What was the actual date of your surgery? We will put the information in your signature for you.

What you are feeling is totally normal. TKR recovery can be very complex and frustrating. Swell can continue well into the second year. Are you icing and elevating that leg?

Have you seen a podiatrist about the plantar fasciitis?

I know it's been awhile since your surgery. But I'll leave our guidelines here for you anyway. Lots of good information that still applies to your recovery.

KNEE RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
the BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for TKRs
The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi thank you my surgery date was the 24/5/22.
Yes I have been to the orthotics department and they are in the process of making me some custom insoles.
The foot pain has affected my walking which seems to have made my knee worse though. It just feels like such a hard road first pre opp and now post. Will I ever feel better?

Will I ever feel better?
Yes you will! There will come a time when you don't even think about your replaced knee. Unfortunately the length of time it takes for everyone to get there is different.

Your custom orthotics may help ease things. Do follow the instructions about a phased approach to wearing the new insoles.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nosila
Recent bookmarks