• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

THR 12 days post op pain expectations

Kk1118

Country
United States United States
I’m a 48 year old female recovering from a right THR 11-5-19. I stayed first 3 days in hospital by choice bc I have a lot of pets. Pain controlled with hydrocodone every 4 hours almost since day 1. I now have an added muscle relaxer. I’m getting around well and following PT instructions. The last 5 days have been brutal and I don’t understand why. My main complaint is terrible pain (burning, pulling) from top of upper inner thigh (groin)down to knee and then to shin. I cannot get comfortable! My surgeon and pt person say it’s normal but it feels borderline like I’m going backwards. It’s disrupting my sleep and affecting me sitting or standing without constant change of positions. I know it’s early but isn’t each day supposed to get better?

Last edited:

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
:welome:so glad you've joined us, going to leave you a little reading material that is helpful.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
So sorry you're still in a lot of pain and discomfort. The first two weeks seem to be the pits, it does get better.

I'm item #2 above its recommended that you rest, elevate (toes above nose) and ice. Ice can be your best friend, it really helps with pain and swelling. Try using it any time you aren't up and moving around but at a minimum of 45-60 minutes at least 4 times a day. Also, take your meds as prescribed, you need to stay ahead of the pain instead of trying to play catch up. If your meds aren't working or you need more let your OS know.

You don't say if you're dealing with a lot of swelling but that could be causing the pain you're feeling. Not sure how much PT you're doing but did you notice the pain really kicking in once you started doing it? You're very early on and should really only be concentrating on rest, elevate, ice and the little but if walking in the house to the bathroom, living room and kitchen for snacks. Remember, ice, ice baby!
:ice:

Calgal

graduate
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I know it’s early but isn’t each day supposed to get better?
As @Elf1 says, for most of us the first week or two IS really the worst part. And no, it doesn't necessarily get better each day. Some days are just the pits. :censored: @Layla often recommends looking at progress weekly. You will see progress, but it's at your body's pace and bodies don't understand calendars. :heehee:. There have been many folks here that had a really rough start and have made amazing recoveries. Have a look at @Fiona444 thread for example. Take it easy and keep on icing and elevating. I had lots of swelling and that caused uncomfortable sitting for quite awhile. Go VERY easy on any PT the first few weeks. Plenty of time to do exercises later. Take care and happy healing. :thumb:

midouri

Country
Hi, sorry to hear of your issues. I’m 8.5 weeks and sore around the incision mainly and hip area. The pains not too bad as I don’t do much physio. The only thing I really do is walk and a lot of resting! I’m going back to work in 2 weeks time and ready for it!
The best advice I can give you is.... follow exactly what the experts say on here..,. They told me to back off with physio etc and both hips are great xxx

midouri

Country
Also you’ve only just had surgery x. Recovery takes a good while ... go easy on yourself it’s very early days for you. Chill out, feet up and enjoy you’re rest!!!!! It’ll go by quickly. I got there and did nothing... am probably the worlds laziest patient!! I did no PT hardly at all.... really only started doing some prob at 4-6 weeks and then not much.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Yes, Calgal is right. I do recommend looking at progress weekly. You will not notice daily progress so please modify your expectations or you'll be let down. I used to gauge progress on weekends because I was normally more active then with hubs off work and visitors also. I could easily recall what I could or couldn't do with relative ease the week before.

Wondering when your first post op visit with the OS is? Would you mind sharing if you're engaging in PT, and if so, exactly what you're doing daily?
Will look forward to your response...
Hope today is a good one!
@Kk1118

Last edited:

Chrismcd

Country
Canada Canada
Hi Kk1118, you and I had THR surgery one day apart, so we are on the same trajectory for recovery. It has definitely been a challenging 2 weeks and some days I feel normal and then, kaboom, I am out of it or sore or feel like I pulled something- the list goes on. The enthusiasm for getting my life back has me so motivated to get going, I overdo it. Anxiety seems to be pretty normal, so as someone else said in your thread, these folks have the wisdom to keep us sane and positive, while healing.

ritabell

Country
Hip #2 last Wed; Hip #1 march 2019..
Even though I have notes from hip#1, I seem to have forgotten a lot about my recovery.
I am only 6 days out from surgery and have a lot of muscle pain all around the surgical leg. The pain seems to move around the leg in different spots each day. It gets frustrating because then it's a new pain to be dealt with and I question if I did someone to cause it. Daily pain that comes with getting up/ down from toilet, bed and sofa seems to be just as bad as the day before. I feel like someone has punched me in the leg. Anyway, I'm am trying to take the weekly view (every Wed) and compare so I can see some positive progress and stop worrying.

I think what happens is that the first couple days of recovery are so miraculous ( up walking, old hip pain is gone) that you fool yourself into thinking you are better than you actually are. I must be better because I'm going home and going home on day 2 especially only reinforces that. I cant't get over that the pain meds only address the pain about 75% and I'm afraid to take more. I thought last time they did more and I was able to do more of the easy exercises the Force program sends me.

So, it's 2 AM and I just got up to go to the bathroom and winced with pain, so now I'm up reading and writing here. It feels good to get my worries off my chest and read about other stories. I'm really hoping to go out for Thanksgiving which will be 2 weeks for me. It's a 30 minute drive and it's one of my recovery goals. I just hope no one is sick that day.

Mandel

Country
France France
Gosh that’s exactly how I feel. Had my op on 1st October and the pain was relatively ok, what I’d sort of expected especially around the wound. I didn’t do any physio just told to walk gently unfortunately I joined the over done group from my 6th week. Now just walking in the house, icing, resting etc.
I found meditating helpful, there’s a great app called Calm which has méditations on pain management, stories to help you sleep’ and much more. Good luck

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope all is well. We'd love to read about your progress if you care to share next time you're on the forum. Hopefully you're in a good place and noticing weekly improvements.
Will look forward to an update and wish you all the best until then. :wave:
@Kk1118

Debru4

graduate
Country
Right now, when I think about my hip replacement recovery in general my thoughts are so positive. On the whole it was a straightforward, "easy" recovery.

And then when I read posts like yours, or reread my own posts following surgery, it comes back to me how disconcerting those first few weeks are, with the forward/backward dance of pain and healing taking place.

I recall not really being prepared for what to expect in terms of pain.....and especially WHERE to expect it. So the tennis ball in bottom feeling, the knee pain, and the log leg were surprises, and not pleasant ones.

But in retrospect, they all lasted such short times, and compared to the chronic, debilitating pain of the ruined hip before surgery, at least I knew that the surgical pain would improve. I also remember being disappointed during that 6-12 week time span where my activity levels had increased greatly and then some annoying pains would periodically pop up as well.

It reminds me a bit of childbirth---thankfully, after a bit of time passes you forget some of the pain and can focus on how lovely the "prize" (new baby/new hip) is.

Plus I think a lot of people get tricked a bit from the pain meds from surgery that take awhile to wear off those first couple of days. And then when you are left with the "real" pain it is a nasty surprise. It sounds like you are doing really well, and as an experienced "hippy"have a sense of where you will end up, which is great:)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Lakegirl62
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom