TKR 12 Days Out from LTKR and Struggling

You have to do what you feel comfortable doing. At 4- weeks I had a hard time getting in and out of the car, so the Force program worked well for me. At 4-weeks I was still sleeping in my recliner. I tried a number of pillows in bed, but it was difficult to get comfortable. Sleeping on your back is the best and I am a side sleeper. You will get there but it seems like it takes forever! Best wishes!
Thanks! It's good to know that I'm not alone!

This is good to hear, but -- if you choose to do outpatient PT -- be aware that very few therapists are trained in dealing with joint replacement patients. They take a training approach, as though we are athletes, rather than the recovery approach that is needed. It's up to you to make it clear that you will NOT be pushed into pain.
Thanks. I've been contemplating not even doing outpatient. My OS said that they are finding that patients who use the Force app/program on thier own do just as well over time as patients who do PT. He was supporting my making the choice (and seems to have hosnown reservations about PTs). It's a hard decision, as I feel I can use motivation, but I've had less than stellar PT experiences for my knees over years of OA. I really like the in-home PTs I've seen. They do work with a lot of knee patients and have been great. I wonder if I can get it extended...

@Twocaledonias
I had a bad PT experience with my first tkr.
Without going into detail I walked (hobbled) out of PT when therapist got an attitude that I couldn't do squats 2 weeks post op.
I took a couple weeks and started calling different PT offices in my area. I "interviewed" them. I asked questions like how do you treat tkr patients, what do you do when a patient is having pain, etc. There may be a list of questions here on Bonesmart.
I found a small independent office...not a chain....that seemed like a good fit. It was great. So after approx 3 1/2 weeks post op I started outpatient PT. I had excellent results. Range of motion was rarely measured. Usually eyeballed. ROM can takes months to be perfect or close to perfect.
My left knee is great!

In my current recovery I plan to wait about 3 weeks when I'm feeling better to start PT.
I'll be doing gentle stretches at home and walking as much as I can without overdoing it.
This aggressive PT stuff is not usually helping people.

I've also never understood the rush to get to PT within the first week post-op. With my first TKR 12 years ago, I didn't start outpatient PT until at least 3 weeks. The body needs time to heal a bit first. Most people find getting out of the house that soon is a monumental event by itself!

I "interviewed" them. I asked questions like how do you treat tkr patients, what do you do when a patient is having pain, etc. There may be a list of questions here on Bonesmart.
This is a great idea. Thanks. I'm also curious how you fared in between your two surgeries. My left TKR knee feels stable (if a little sore sometimes) when I walk, but my right knee, which I hope to have done in about six months, is not so stable and can't be straightened. I feel this is hindering my progress some also.

Good times getting in an out of tub! Mine is small but tall -- one of those with the four legs, with the shower curtain rings along like the cartoons. Not much to grip on. But I do have those feet grippers and small chair to sit in to spray a bit until I can stand confidently. I can't wait for a full long shower on my own.

I do have a cadet height toilet set so no need for elevation or seat topper.

I've also never understood the rush to get to PT within the first week post-op. With my first TKR 12 years ago, I didn't start outpatient PT until at least 3 weeks. The body needs time to heal a bit first. Most people find getting out of the house that soon is a monumental event by itself!
Everything's a rush now :happydance: (out-patient, 48 hr PT, etc). But as most of the admins advise here we do we DO have a voice in what is done PT-wise. I think because I had a TKR in 2019 the 'doings' of things fast wasn't too bad. And I seem to be doing better faster. Still, we have remember this is a MAJOR surgery. Healing cannot be rushed.

Next week (13 days post TKR) I start on-site PT's from in-home PT's within 48 post surgery. I had this PT before so she knows and affirms that I WILL say no to PT that's too difficult (such as PT requiring me laying on my stomach).

As before I'll rest the whole days in between outside of small things I do around the house, toileting, light cooking etc. on my walker. I'm not training for a marathon -- I do think rest is underestimated.

Last edited:
@Twocaledonias
You are in the very early days of recovery. Its hard to believe when you're new at this. You want it over and done with in 8 weeks or less. And I mean YOU collectively. Not YOU in particular. I was like that.
My left knee was replaced first. Both knees were equally bad and OS suggested surgery 6 months apart. I even looked into bilateral.
Once I recovered the left knee was strong and helped with the right knee. So, I put off rightie for a little over 4 yrs. I should have had rightie replaced a year or more ago, but we moved a few times....life got in the way.
If I knew then what I know now I would have had them done a year apart. Or less.
Good luck to you. Once you've recovered from the left knee you'll make the right decision.

@Susie-Q
Taking my first shower today was a monumental event. Felt like I climbed Mt Everest
What I wouldn't do for a walk in shower right now! My tub is complicated height-wise, so I'm taking very messy "baths" on a shower chair outside the tub! Thanks goodness for my daughter being here...
6770E442-3EF3-47BF-9706-323AC192EA5A.jpeg

The above is what I used In my tub. One side is inside the tub; other out. You sit on it and slide so you’re inside. Works wonderfully!

Marie
Hi Marie: Thanks. I have one of these, but my tub floor is higher than my bathroom floor and I can't raise one side of the bench high enough so that it's level. It's too unstable to safely sit on and transfer to the tub. I'm gonna have to think this through more for my RTKR later in the year.

The above is what I used In my tub. One side is inside the tub; other out. You sit on it and slide so you’re inside. Works wonderfully!

Marie
Hi Marie: Thanks. I have one of these, but my tub floor is higher than my bathroom floor and I can't raise one side of the bench high enough so that it's level. It's too unstable to safely sit on and transfer to the tub. I'm gonna have to think this through more for my RTKR later in the year.
Well shoot. I had a good idea!
Bathroom renovation?

Marie

@Twocaledonias
I ordered some disposable washcloths on Amazon. They're big and do a good job for in between my showers.
How is the knee?

How is the knee?
Stiff and sore (thanks for asking!). I let PT push me a little too much on Friday. It didn't feel like it at the time, but I felt it over the weekend. I'm at 50 degress at 3 weeks...walking is fine, flexing still hurts. I have only 2 in-home visits left this week, then I have a one week break before outpatient PT can see me for an evaluation, then one week before they can start seeing me regularly. I just signed up for the trial with OneStep to check that out. But my sister said that outpatient PT was a game changer for her because of their ice/heat regimens, electro stim for her Quad and other muscles, and equipment you don't have at home. Not sure which I'll end up sticking with. Hope you're doing ok!

Hi Twocalcedonia's
I hope you're doing better today. I will be curious to see how you feel on your time off, before the outpatient PT evaluation, and the week you wait before PT begins. You're so early into the healing process that it's difficult to envision PT pushing you to do anything that hurts, possibly it didn't bother you though in the moment. At least I hope it didn't.

It's great you signed up for One Step. I will follow your progress with interest. I hope you have the same good result with PT that your sister had. Best Wishes as you continue your healing journey! :walking:
@Twocaledonias

Some patients benefit from PT, while others do not. The key is finding the therapist that is the right one for you and one that will listen and do what you say!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back