11 days and counting, still having questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sftcmt

I'm not getting this 90 degree thing. Does this mean your back has to stay straight, no bending, or is it just the leg same height as hip thing.
I went for my pre-op today. ALOT of information to digest. My anesthesiologist also said my potassium was borderline to high. 5.3 I think, and he said for elective surgeries, they didn't like to do them when they got up around 5.5 (I think). He said they'd be checking it the morning of the surgery. So what does that mean, if it's too high, surgery is cancelled? He said it depends on who is the anesthesiologist.
Lots of questions...lots to absorb.
I SOOOOO appreciate this site! I've been reading posts a long time. It helps with my courage hearing people say over and over, "You'll wish you'd done it sooner". Boy, I hope that's the consensus. I'm still REALLY nervous! Surgery date Nov 10th....

Hi sftcmt,
I had the same problem at my pre op. I was refered back to my G.P. he did my bloods again and every thing was normal, he reconed that I was dehydtated and that could have been the reason for my potassium level being high. So hang in there it will rectify itself. Good luck.
Ronnie

Hey there :) Just to answer your question about the 90 degree thing, my mum just explained it to me too Lol...
She explained that your legs and torso cant exceed 90 degrees... so like standing straight and bending down to pick something up ... your torso or shoulders cant reach past your hip.... I hope iv explained that... There are these grabber things that they have to pick up things to help you with that... But yeah there will be someone along later, Jo, to explain things alot better than i have Tee Hee.
Keep hangin on there... i have 14 days to go :D we can be recovery buddies Tee Hee

Binderella xxx

Hi Sft Im not sure what that means i sorry but others will be on soon to help.......I wish you the best of luck tough...please let us know what happens......I did have a low potassium and they gave me a few pills ea day............

SO Pretty much... You've got a range of straight up and down and not exceeding L (the straight is ur back and the bottom is ur legs... )u cant go more than that...if that makes sense? lol then again i may be ramballing :P

90 Degree Thing:

The "L" anaogy is correct. It will not be possible to reach down and tie your shoes as an example of not bending more than 90 degrees. They should even give you a gizmo to help you put on your socks without bending too far. this restriction varies from doctor to doctor, but most I've heard make it a requirement for the first 6 weeks.

Pre-surgery Screenings:

Hip replacmeent surgery while life altering and dramtically improves one's quality of life, is still an "elective" surgery which means it is not necessary to save a life. It is also one of the most major of elective surgeries... I also had my surgery delayed while I had a heart issue resolved. I had to have a cardiac catheterization procedure performed to determine if some minor blockages in my arteries were sever enough to need correction before surgery. I wasn't pleased about the month dealy, or having to have such an invasive test, but in the end it gave everyone peace of mind that I was healthy enough to handle to major surgery on my hip.

Do you have confidence in your doctor? In your hospital? If you do, then follow their advice and protocols. If you don't, look around. There are many good doctors and facilities who may not do what you want just becasue you want it, but they will earn your trust.

Hi sftcmt,
I had the same problem at my pre op. I was refered back to my G.P. he did my bloods again and every thing was normal, he reconed that I was dehydtated and that could have been the reason for my potassium level being high. So hang in there it will rectify itself. Good luck.
Ronnie

Thank you Ronniesloan. You and I are a year apart. WE CAN DO THIS THING!!! God be praised.

Hey there :) Just to answer your question about the 90 degree thing, my mum just explained it to me too Lol...
She explained that your legs and torso cant exceed 90 degrees... so like standing straight and bending down to pick something up ... your torso or shoulders cant reach past your hip.... I hope iv explained that... There are these grabber things that they have to pick up things to help you with that... But yeah there will be someone along later, Jo, to explain things alot better than i have Tee Hee.
Keep hangin on there... i have 14 days to go :D we can be recovery buddies Tee Hee

Binderella xxx

Thanks Sweetie! I wish you all the luck in the world.
I am fully sure God is holding my hand through this. I pray he extends the same blessing to you!

90 Degree Thing:

The "L" anaogy is correct. It will not be possible to reach down and tie your shoes as an example of not bending more than 90 degrees. They should even give you a gizmo to help you put on your socks without bending too far. this restriction varies from doctor to doctor, but most I've heard make it a requirement for the first 6 weeks.

Pre-surgery Screenings:

Hip replacmeent surgery while life altering and dramtically improves one's quality of life, is still an "elective" surgery which means it is not necessary to save a life. It is also one of the most major of elective surgeries... I also had my surgery delayed while I had a heart issue resolved. I had to have a cardiac catheterization procedure performed to determine if some minor blockages in my arteries were sever enough to need correction before surgery. I wasn't pleased about the month dealy, or having to have such an invasive test, but in the end it gave everyone peace of mind that I was healthy enough to handle to major surgery on my hip.

Do you have confidence in your doctor? In your hospital? If you do, then follow their advice and protocols. If you don't, look around. There are many good doctors and facilities who may not do what you want just becasue you want it, but they will earn your trust.
Thank you MUDPRO!
I do have confidence in my DR and hospital. Mostly in the LORD cradling me through. Thank you for the reply.

Something you can do to pick up from the floor is to hold onto something secure like a table or chair, put the foot on your operated leg back a big step and then bend at your good knee until you can pick up the item. You'll be able to keep your leg and your back in a straight line.

Good Luck and ask any more questions you may have. About the potassium,. Google a list of high potassium foods and stay away from them!!! That's what i would do anyway.
judy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back