THR 10 years post op: worried about pain

lotuseater

I had my right hip replaced about 10 years ago. All has been fine until perhaps about 6 months ago when I started to feel the odd twinge, nothing painful, just different. This has come and gone, but over the last few weeks, it has progressed to a constant ache on the outside of my hip, particularly when sitting down or in bed. I can walk/go upstairs/bear weight fine,
and do 10k steps daily.
I am worried that my hip is failing. I suppose that I should get an x ray but I do't even know if that would be possible given the present crisis.
I s it inevitable that the pain comes from my hip? Might it be something else? I am so worried.

@lotuseater Welcome back to BoneSmart! I joined this forum about the same time as yourself and had my first THR in 2010 as well.

Have you started any new activity lately that might have aggravated either your hip or your lower back? Does this discomfort ease with rest?

One option for you is to have your GP refer you for a private x-ray. You can get quotes for this on-line and coordinate the referral over the phone. Would you be able to cover the cost? At least an x-ray would ease your concern about that hip.

Hi Jaycey thanks for your reply. I started a fitness campaign about 15 months ago, including strength training, so squats and deadlifts as well as core exercises and cardiovascular stuff. I haven't done this since lockdown, so mid March. I feel as though everyone will say that I have been "doing too much" but this was in conjunction with a weightloss drive, and so it seemed to be a good idea at the time!
A clinic locally can do diagnostic x rays but it is closed due to Covid, and I don't know whether my local hospital will do an X ray for something which might, in the scheme of things, be very low on the priority list. I suppose I should contact my GP and see what they say. I will have a look to see if other clinics may be open.

Well at 10 years out I don't think you are doing too much. But I can confirm my hips don't like squats or lifting anything heavy. Did you ease into this workout - start slow and build?

Have you ever had any lumbar spine issues? Core stability exercises are great for this but lifting as well might be aggravating the lower back. I'm just telling you this from my own experience as I have a long history of spinal issues.

Hi @lotuseater , for a start, I think you should visit your GP. Since you say the new pain is on the outside of your hip, there's a chance that it could be trochanteric bursitis. Your GP will be able to tell you this.

If that;s not the problem, then further investigation, such as an X-Ray will be necessary.

By the way, please will you tell us the full date of your original hip replacement, so we can put it in your signature? Also, when you joined back in 2010, it wasn't necessary to give many details. We'd like to know at least your age and if you're a man or a woman, so would you mind going back to your account details and filling in a few of the blanks for us? Thank you. :flwrysmile:

Thanks for the reassurance! Yes, I had a trainer and we took a slow and steady pace, recognising it would be a long job! I I have a bit of back pain on the left side, probably due to my left side compensating for weakness in my right side for years and years (I had Perthes disease as a child)
I have found an imaging clinic which is open, so I think I will get my GP to refer me.
I realise that I have been bottling up my concerns about this for a while. It is such a relief to write it down.

Hello Celle, our posts crossed.
Thanks for your advice, I will contact my GP this week. And update my account details!
I have just been looking at bursitis, some of the symptoms do seem familiar. The pain on sitting and sleeping is more noticeable since I seem to be sitting down a lot in lockdown!

Hello,
Just an update, I have had my Xray today, the radiographer said I would hear from my Dr in 5 days but the surgery has called today and has arranged an appointment to talk about it later this week.
Of course I am thinking that if nothing is wrong I wouldn't need an appointment....
If anyone has any experience or expertise in this area, could they suggest what questions I could ask my GP if the news is bad? I have a habit of being fazed by the situation and only thinking of what I should have asked after the event!

@lotuseater It's hard to come up with questions when you really don't know the problem yet. Maybe think back to your original THR and what questions did you have at that time. Then write it all down so you have them with you when you see your GP. Also write the answers while you are at the appointment. It's a good reference for later use.

Please let us know how your appointment goes!

Thanks for your reply! I have a memory of going blank at my original THR appointment and coming out no wiser than when I went in.
I suppose I was wondering if I should limit my activities to reduce potential bone damage, that sort of thing. But yes until I know it's difficult to think of what questions might be useful. I will report back after I've spoken to my Dr.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who gets “medical amnesia”. Lol. I can understand your trepidation. One can always hope the appointment is just a formality and you’re going to discuss what you can do about your issue. :fingersx: Looking forward to your after appointment post.

Hi @lotuseater,

I have had that same experience of wishing I had asked a specific question while in the doctor's office. My approach sounds a bit simplistic, but I have found it effective and it helps me stay on track.

Since you had an xray, you can write down questions about your xray and bring the questions in with you (in a notebook or at least on a piece of paper, leaving room for you to write down what is being said to you, so have a pen with you). If your surgeon has your previous xrays, or if you can bring them with you, that would be great as comparing xrays can be very helpful.

This is what I asked my OS about my follow up xray:
Basically, does he/she see anything to be concerned about and if so, where, what does it mean and what does he suggest on how to proceed?

Last edited by a moderator:
@lotuseater my first thought was bursitis! Neither of my hips is as well-matured as yours, but I think I have some sporadically symptomatic trochanteric bursitis on both sides. Sometimes sleeping on this or that side hurts, to the point where if I'm still awake when it happens, I have to roll off it. And this is on the softest imaginable bed! Forget lying on my side on the floor or even ground. This can go on for months or years, and then waft away for a t

My other thought was the reaction my hips had to your mention of squats.... they said ouch! You did work up to it properly, but your hip might have just hit a wall and said no thanks.

Regardless of what you find out (and I'm sure the dr won't even see your images until your appointment...), congratulations on getting your fitness regime going!

Well as for questions, I assume the surgeon will tell you immediately whether they think your device has come loose.

In the event that the surgeon finds the device is still solidly in place, then you want to think hard ahead of time to identify your recent shift in activity and really think about any changes you've made in the period leading up to the pain. This may sound obvious, but I have learned that I truly have to sit down and make myself think and think hard ... Concentrated, focus--going back over my days to notice any change. If the change were obvious, you would immediately see it. But lots of life changes are not obvious. A few weeks back, I did a lot of work while lying in bed. Sometimes I work extremely well in bed--I think it fools my brain into thinking I'm not working, and thus I don't procrastinate. Well, guess what? Lying in bed usually leads to some stiffness in my walking. I really had to concentrate to see that link. Combine lying in bed and skipping my old pt exercises for my glutes ... and bang, I'm in trouble.

If the device is in place, I would almost certainly request a prescription for physical therapy. You might have a muscle imbalance that has revealed itself, that a good pt can diagnose and develop some exercises for.

And yes, I would stop all activity for now, except for the essential.

Hopefully you'll get a good idea of what's happening with your hip/thigh and a plan to take care of it at your appointment. I know my hip is still very young at this point but I have been battling trochanteric bursitis for what seems like forever. The workout program could have irritated the area even though you did everything right. Pretty much felt like someone was using a cheese grater on my outer thigh.

Good news! The Dr phoned today and said that the X ray didn't show any changes when compared to my 2009 post op hip! I can't tell you how relieved I am!
Thanks to all of you who have posted messages during these anxious last few days. I felt particularly concerned that my fitness regime had somehow contributed to this, and was berating myself that after having been given the gift of a pain free life, I had messed it up.
The Dr suggested we keep an eye on it and see if anything develops further, and said I can go back to lifting!
Thanks again all.

Good news! I sense your relief. Hopefully you can relax now and fully enjoy the end of the week.
All the best to you!
@lotuseater

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie