10 wks post-op:Determined but disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vera Wieland

I had a total knee replacement on Sept 12, 2007 and came home the next day.
Had 6 sessions of PT and have done whatever is required. I still have a lot of pain when I first get up and it all feels very tight. That's all normal, I think. My problem? I need to walk with a cane because the knee tends to buckle. My quad muscle (I think that's the one) hurts like hell and I can't do leg raises anymore. Is this normal or could there be something else going on? Help!
P.S. Before surgery, my knee was permanently bent. The part from that position to straight seems to be the problem.

Just what I was thinking when you got that last sentence in! If there is deformity pre-op then it's going to complicate the rehab post-op. No getting round that, I'm afraid. And to be honest, 10 weeks is not all that long. You had minimally invasive surgery, I take it? You may have come home the next day but you still had a major op and it will take time to get over it. You sound to me like you are doing well.

However, you need to use the icepacks more and elevate ALL the time you are sitting down or lying down. Never fail to keep your leg up when you are sitting down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member