MUA 10 weeks post PKR both knees and 2 weeks post MUA

What do you say to those friends who ask you “geez, why aren’t you able to do xyz?” “Why can’t you do more by now? I read it only take 4-6 weeks to get back to life”. To this I want to scream and cry.
You say "Thank you. My surgeon is happy with my progress. I'm having a normal recovery for this surgery."

I read about people getting up and walking around day one and playing tennis week 3.
While the odd, very rare person may have such a swift recovery, most of those stories are urban myth. It simply doesn't happen that way.
For most of us, recovery is a long, slow process, demanding all the patience we can find.

I had a partial, also, but only one. That was one of the reasons I was so discouraged. From what I was told and not told, and from all I read before surgery, I expected to be fully recovered by 2-3 months.

I don’t know what I would have done if I hadn’t found Bonesmart!

@Jockette I don’t know what I would have a done if I hadn’t found this site either

Last edited:
most of those stories are urban myth
Another clue is that most, if not all of the urban myths are second and third hand stories: My friend's wife's father-in law was playing golf in his first month post op.

One of the first things I learned was not to believe a word of it if it wasn't coming right from the horse's mouth. For me to give any credence to a story I have to be hearing it first-hand from the person who had the surgery, like the people here on Bonesmart.

After my experience with my first TKR and MUA I knew exactly what to do with my second. I refused ALL PT. They were surprised especially when I explained my rationale for saying it and quoted the research on efficacy of PT post TKR. Needless to say I made an uneventful recovery and and very happy with the outcome. Say no to physio!
I also didn't want any opioide meds so refused them as well.
Ice, elevate and keep moving. Knees were meant to walk so walk about a bit. Good luck!

@robert johnson thank you for your reply. While I absolutely agree need to hear the recovery story via the horses mouth. The two stories I have been told, one by my dr that a patient having the same surgery as mine was up and walking unassisted at his 2 week appt. the other was my fathers cousin who was up playing tennis, climbing ladders and doing home improvement by month 3. With these two antidotes in my head, I definitely beat myself up. I am now only listening to my body and not measuring my recovery to anyone else. I love reading everyone’s info here but I know we are all different. Even the recovery for both of my knees which were done at the same time are different. I will power on and not take all I hear and read about others recovery as a measure of my own.

I am having a hard time deciding how much exercise and activity to do. I read the articles but I’m still confused. Maybe because I’m in such a fog with all the pain and little sleep for the last 10 weeks. My really had hoped by know my pain and swelling would be less than it is. Ugh! Oh how I wished I’d found this forum 10 weeks ago. But alas I didn’t and I know am educating myself in the BoneSmart way.

@Spex10 thank you for your reply. I have definitely learned a lot of lessons during this postop. I sincerely hope in a years time that I look back on this and be glad that I went through it. My husband keeps reminding me that the pain that I had from the arthritis in my knees would not have improved. This pain that I’m experiencing now will eventually not be there. I guess I did not realize how much patience I was going to need. I am now learning I am stronger than I ever thought I was. I’m not sure there is anything that can prepare you for going through any type of thanks body part replacement.

Hi @jenm1970 - I just read through your thread and am going to follow your recovery! I had a TKL May 6 and just found Bonesmart yesterday. So far had done nothing but regress!! Was starting to feel really frustrated and pressured. My PT keeps saying they aren't going to refill my pain meds and yet pushes me to swelling in PT... makes no sense!!! Anyway I just started following advice on being gentle with myself and feel I see improvement already. i am going to keep up with you to follow your progress. Cleaning houses?? Oh my really hoping you can give your body a bit of extended gentle time only and hear about what happens. Wishing you the best!!

@sugarjo369 welcome! Have you started your own recovery thread here? I’d like to follow you also. This is such a great forum helps me feel that I’m not all alone on this walk (lol! Pun intended). I am going to talk to my cleaning partner about scaling it back.

My PT has been really pushing me so my swelling has not gone down very much which of course reduces the ability to bend.

I’m sorry they are telling you they will not refill your medication that is absolutely ridiculous. When I Pain we definitely don’t want to do anything! Especially since you are barely out of the gate from your surgery. All the surgeries I’ve had pain meds have been given at least until week 6. I would think your Dr wouldn’t hold anything over your head so to speak considering what your knee and body and mind have gone through.

Take care, I’ll see you here on the boards

@sistersinhim i should have said had. I canceled my PT appts. Up until a few days ago when I happened upon BoneSmart, I thought all of the vigorous exercises and pushing was to my betterment, now I know that not be true. I am now being very gentle with myself. I am icing and elevating often and not doing much else. I was to go to the pool today and canceled, much to the disappointment of the instructor who is also a friend. I explained I am now being kind and listening to my body and not doing anything that hurts. Just get into the pool hurt, it’s an above ground pool with 5 steps up and down. My flexion made it difficult to do the ladder. But like I said I am now doing rest, ice and elevate. I have shared all this info with my husband and he’s happy I’m taking charge of my recovery.

Yay! That sounds really good.

have shared all this info with my husband and he’s happy I’m taking charge of my recovery.
I’m so glad you have your husband’s support about changing your recovery approach. It’s so helpful when we’re “on the same page.”

Even the recovery for both of my knees which were done at the same time are different.
That tells us all we need to know, doesn't it?

Same with me. I can't begin to tell you how different my two recoveries were (are). Like night and day. If someone were to ask me what to expect from a knee replacement recovery, my answer would have to be, "Uhhhh, well, I don't really know for sure.":what:

Any time I hear a story about someone whose TKR was a breeze, I'll ask the person telling me the story if they heard that directly from the patient or if they got that second-hand. I get a kick out of the reaction on their face, when they're forced to admit they heard it second-hand.:unsure:

Today I stopped by my physical therapy office to pick up my latest progress report. I wanted to have it for when o see the pain dr again. As mentioned above I canceled my last appt after happening upon this forum. As soon as I walk in the door or in my case hobble because my gait isn’t great, because my knees don’t bend, I’m asked when I’ll be making my last appointments? I tell them I’m unsure. The PT then says I should at least come in a get on the bike that way they can monitor me and crank on my knees if they think they need to. She used the word crank. She said she’d make sure I’m with her or the other 2 PT’s I’ve seen because they’ll be tough on me even though I cry. I would like my outtake visit but not if they will be like this. My insides started shaking when she said the works crank on my knees. She said they want to make sure I’m doing the same thing at home . My poor knees have been cranked on enough, my psyche has been abused enough. I just want my swelling and pain to go away and be healed.

I would not set foot in that place again. Their “therapy” isn’t good for you, if anyone.

I honestly have some level of PTSD from my “therapy”, and if I ever have to have another knee replacement I will not be going to PT. I will recover better without it.

Yes, using the word "crank" would set off alarm bells. I knew I was in good hands when I had a PT explained what she was doing before laying any hands on and who said " don't worry I won't crank on your leg."

You are really early in your recovery. I found spending mostly icing, elevating and taking the knee gently through its range (not intensive exercise), and gradually increasing my walking (from a couple of minutes to start, to more as able).
Listen to the knee--it will guide you.

@kneeper thank you Times 1000!
I am such a people pleaser that when I am put in the situation that I was this afternoon I freeze and just nod my head up-and-down much to my demise! Is there a rule out there that you have to do an outtake form for physical therapy? I am friends on Facebook with one of my PT’s, I really don’t want to be chastised by anybody on social media!
I feel like at this point I am put in between a rock and a hard place. I do know that what’s best for me is to let my knee guide me to recovery. But I do not know how to articulate that to the professionals

But I do not know how to articulate that to the professionals
You don’t owe them any explanation. Your no is no and walk away. You don’t have to go back, there is no law saying you have to go.
Saying no to therapy, am I allowed to:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/saying-no-to-therapy-am-i-allowed-to.36688/

I was discharged from PT shortly before I was 8 weeks post op. You’re past that point. You’ve “paid your dues.”

PT is an option, not the essential requirement that we are led to believe. You are allowed to decide for yourself, even if your surgeon should hassle you about it.

Some people never go to PT after knee replacement. Some surgeons don’t recommend it. It’s all about opinions. And your opinion counts most of all.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom