TKR 10 weeks post op

I’m glad you feel so encouraged with your pool session. Yes, you will get better!

But I also agree with sistersinhim, you might feel some after effects, from those specific exercises, so don’t be alarmed if you do. Whenever starting something new, it’s best to be very conservative and then add more gradually. I had a very bad pool experience, but I was only 4 weeks. At 3 months you have much more healing than I did at 4 weeks.

Hang in there, you’re going to be fine! :swim:

I am 10 weeks post op TKR. I now realise that my quad muscles had deteriorated prior to my op and have only just started to twitch back to life a week ago. I now have a new physio and trying hard to build my leg strength as I’m still on 2 crutches. I also think that some of my lack of walking unaided is in my head and I’m scared of falling. Any way just to add to this I’m feeling wobbly and light headed today and feeling despondent. Will I ever walk again without help. I’m meant to be looking after my grandchildren again in 8 weeks ??!??
I found hydro therapy really helped my balance if that’s an option for you

The pool got me too. At 4 months I also decided it was time to get back in the water. The day before I did it, I walked all over the grocery store with almost no pain. I was feeling great. I didn't stay in the pool long, about 20 minutes and just did easy exercises and walked around a few times (it's a small pool). That night, and the next 2 nights, I was awake. I could not bend my leg for days, it was excruciating. It has finally settled back down but I am waiting a while longer to get in the pool again. Easy does it.

Great news about the hydro session. It should help you build your confidence. As others have said pool exercise is deceptive--you can feel a bit sore afterward--but you wouldn't need a long session to get the good confidence building effects you've already seen. :yay:

I am now 13 weeks post op but not making any progress on walking unaided. I hate the crutches and feel less confident with them as well. Trying to walk around the kitchen but still having to take some weight on work surfaces. Any advice would be great, I just want to walk and get my life back. I’m becoming a recluse!

Sorry to hear that. How well could you walk pre the operation? What does your physio or surgeon think about your progress? Maybe you would feel better if they thought you were doing ok for the level of disability you had before.

@EalingGran i was really active pre op, walking, swimming etc but my leg bent inwards and could be quite painful. I had lost a lot of strength and walked differently to compensate for a long time. I just feel if I could start to walk unaided I could set targets to improve each day ☹️ for my mental health as well !

I just feel if I could start to walk unaided I could set targets to improve each day ☹️ for my mental health as well !
Do you have a good physio or pilates teacher to help you untangle why you can't walk unaided?
Is it balance? Is it muscle strength? Is it just fear? Is it residual swelling/pain?
Perhaps if you could figure out the causes then it would help to solve the problem.

@Maximoo, please let us know the exact day of your surgery and which knee it was. Was it a partial or a TKR?

I am now 13 weeks post op but not making any progress on walking unaided

but my leg bent inwards and could be quite painful. I had lost a lot of strength and walked differently to compensate for a long time.
In this case you will improve but it will be slower than if your leg had always been straight. It takes time for the body to make a major adjustment but have faith that it will. There are other milestones of recovery to celebrate. You’ll get there! :flwrysmile:

I’ve not been in touch for a while - still feeling very despondent about my TKR. Op 31 Oct so now 4 months post op. I have managed to walk (or waddle) as my husband describes it around the house unaided this last week. Mornings and evenings are harder but midday I seem to manage better. I have bought a walking stick as I would love to go outside, but just the back garden is scary. Any advice how to take this next step (literally) would be appreciated

I have managed to walk (or waddle) as my husband describes it around the house unaided this last week.
Wonderful! This is great news, Maximoo!
Why does the back yard feel so intimidating, if you don't mind answering. Is the terrain uneven, or the surface uncomfortable / difficult to navigate? I hope you're getting out of the house on occasion, even if its only for a car ride. Are you still planning to look after your grandchildren in approx three weeks? It may be just the distraction you need to help you lose any inhibitions you may have in regard to your recovery. Once involved with them, you may suddenly begin feeling better and find yourself doing more. :fingersx:
A great rest of the week to you!

I think walking outside is just lack of confidence! In the house there are walls and surfaces if you need them. Outside there is nothing, so I need to get it sorted out in my head . I’ve made the difficult decision not to look after the grandkids yet. It’s financial pressure on the parents but I’m just not ready. I’m hoping by Easter I will be able to walk the eldest one to and from school

Hi, yesterday I had a hair appointment and of course it was pouring rain and windy. I get out of my car and don't give my knee a thought as I walk between the cars. I get to the lane I have to cross to get to the sidewalk and I freeze. In my mind I'm saying what if I fall in this mess. I got myself together and was able to get to my designation without incident. At 6-months I had a moment and worked through it and so can you. Can your husband, relative, or friend go with you where they have shopping carts? Use your cane to walk in or pick up the cart and walk around the store. As someone else said it is a great way to practice your heel/toe walk. The added benefit is getting out and about and maybe leave the garden for a sunny spring day.

My husband is taking me out over the weekend. We’re going to practice a lot in different places so I can ‘feel’ what it’s like using my cane outside. I know it’s just a confidence issue so got to get my ‘big girl knickers on’ and give it a go !!

Good luck! Go for
I was really scares the first couple of times I went out- especially as we have steps at the front of our house which didn't have a rail ( we have since fitted one). But it was so good to just be out in the real world again.
I have been in hospital again recently and feel a bit of the anxiety again about feeling frail/ falls.

Well there seems to be a bit of a pattern to my posts - 2 steps forward and 3 steps back ☹️ At the weekend I managed a couple of walks with my husband (and my cane) and held his hand rather than gripping his arm so I decided I could take myself to the hydro pool myself yesterday. I had it all planned in my head. My car was right by our front door and I then drove to the hospital and got a space by the entrance. There was a small wall alongside the parking space. So far so good! Then about 4 steps to the hospital door. I took one step from the wall and froze! Sheer panic I just couldn’t move my feet any further. I tried 3 times and was then in tears sitting on the wall crying while telling my husband on the phone that I had to go home. To cut a long story short, I asked a very nice man to assist me to the door and then off I went through the corridor on my own to the pool. What people must have thought! 62 yr old woman crying cos she couldn’t move off the wall. After my appointment my husband came to assist with the 4 steps from the entrance to my car…… but this time I could do it on my own !!! Obviously hubby was not impressed to come all that way for no reason. However does anyone know what has caused this. A bit like a mild panic attack- probably as I was on my own and no walls to hold on to. I’m 4 months PO so surely I should be past this.

You have to build trust in your new knee. That takes time. Try taking some more little steps on your own and just increase them when you feel you can. There is no rush. Take your time. This recovery is your your time schedule and no one elses.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back