THR 10 weeks post op

VegasMan

Country
United States United States
Hello, I have not been part of a "forum" before, but I read some of the threads and feel like this site is beneficial to those that participate. I am happy to answer any questions regarding my right hip replacement surgery. Of course, I have some questions.

1) Since the surgery, the soles of my feet are numb. A little "Googling" tells me that is not really common, but it can happen. Anyone experience that? Surgeon is not familiar with it. Will see a podiatrist.

2) Ten weeks out and still having pain in the thigh and groin. Also in the area when the implant was placed. Getting up from sitting position, in and out of the car, moving my operated leg in bed at night are also painful. Too soon to worry? I did do the required physical therapy.

Any comments are appreciated...

Hi @VegasMan and :welome: to the forum!

It is rather early on in your recovery to be worrying about the pain in the thigh and groin area.. that seems to hang around for some time.

I am going to leave you some helpful information on a hip recovery. Even though you are already at 10 weeks, I'm guessing there might be some useful tips included.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

The getting up and out of chairs, low couches, cars, etc. can be a bit difficult for several months. Then all of a sudden it isn't an issue any longer.
We all tend to heal at different time frames but we do heal. that's the good news!

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!
Wondering if you have an additional post op visit scheduled? If not, rather than worry about the issues you’ve mentioned, please consider calling the office of your OS. I’m sure a member of your surgeon‘s care team can answer your questions and hopefully offer the reassurance you’re seeking. Hope to follow your journey for awhile longer. :)
@VegasMan

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562