BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[THR] 10 months ago and now pain in groin.

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by labosc, Jun 9, 2017.

1. labosc

labosc junior member

United States United States
    So now at home I get to figure out most comfortable chairs to sit in since I move around a lot. My daughter was over having me do some exercises was good. Yesterday the nurse came and physical therapist was here. He had me do a couple of exercises which were hard. Today walked around and did exercises.

Too much - my leg swelled have to rest. It doesn't really hurt much so then I do too much need to learn a medium level. And then stop. It's all a challenge.

I wonder how long you should leave ice on?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @labosc Welcome to the other side! Ice for 40-60 minutes several times per day. Be sure and elevate while you are icing as this will control any swelling.

I would be very careful about doing too much PT. It's not really necessary for a healing hip and most of the time it just makes people sore. Easy does it is the best approach.

Here are some articles that might answer questions you have about this recovery:
    Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.

3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this:

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

• Like Like x 2
  3. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

Congratulations on the surgery. I'm glad to hear you are home and doing well. I pretty much just followed what they preach on here - rest, ice and elevate. The PT came to the house the first week and she did she me some things but only minimal amount. I really didn't do much on most days those first few weeks. They tell us on here hips will pretty much heal on their own and even my OS said that as well. He did give me a PT script for strength and range of motion but even that I'm no t doing very much. As a result I've eliminated the extra aches and pains and swelling that some others have experienced when they overdo. Just take it easy for now and all will be well!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. labosc

labosc junior member

Thanks I am taking it easy even though I feel I could walk without walker but for safety I go right back to it. Don't want to fall.

I don't know why my leg keeps swelling. I guess better put it up and more ice. How high up should you elevate your leg - couple pillows?

5. Irish Joe

Irish Joe FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Ireland Ireland
    Hi labosc.
    Well done so far.
    Point 2 in the Hip Recovery Guidelines posted above has a number of pics showing how to elevate correctly.
    Joe......

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. labosc

labosc junior member

Thank you all I found it and used the 3 pillows it worked just right and I got more rest. I kept sitting up with legs in a chair that was no good. Everyone on this web site are all so helpful I really appreciate it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

Also note the BIG TIP towards the end of Jaycey's post. Very important that. And the reason your leg is swelling is because you are doing exercises! So stop!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. labosc

labosc junior member

Past couple days when sitting on my chair that's a little harder been having bone pain about 3 inches from stitches. I had posterior my foot also turns in from the beginning I was told I would have to work on that. It does take some concentration on my part.
    Anyone else have this type of pain?

9. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

@labosc you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
    1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
    2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
    3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.

In regards to your question this is all post op pain. Are you icing and elevating? Taking your pain meds as prescribed around the clock? How active are you? At this stage you should be limiting your activity level and resting as much as possible. Still very early days for you.

10. 1GreatGran

1GreatGran member

Hi I also had posterior and similar pain. I found sitting a pillow helped. I carry one in the car. I used body pillows in my seat at home, which help elevate me and remove pressure. As for your foot, I found in PT that I had developed the turn to compensate for my hip .
    In PT they are helping me to correct my gait. I also turn my foot in my sleep. I am almost 7 weeks post surgery. I can honestly say it has improved.
    Be good to you. The icing helps, and as hard as it maybe resting often.
    I hope this helps. Best wishes

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

11. labosc

labosc junior member

Thanks Jaycey Ok I will keep that in mind while posting. Yes I have been icing and elevating and yes there are some days I do more and paying price for it. Pain meds have cut back on some I better go back and take what was ordered. Thanks
    Greatgran I am going to take a pillow to help sitting in some spots. Yes I know when I go on Tuesday they will work on my gait I also turn my foot in at night I put a pillow in between but still catch it. Thanks

12. dougie0216

dougie0216 graduate

@labosc I had RTHR 6/1. I still spend 5-6 hrs/day iced and elevated. I alternate between the IceMan and ice packs. Swelling=pain=bad. When I ice, I make sure my knees and lower legs are above the level of my heart.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. cssgregg1

cssgregg1 junior member

@labosc. I just had my surgery last week and did the same thing you did .I felt no pain so i was walking all over the place and lifting my legs and my leg swelled up and felt like a drum head . After getting answers from Josephine and Jaycey here they said to just relax and dont do any PT , ice it and elevate it . I also called my surgeon and he said the same thing , just relax and let it heal and no pt . I did what everybody said and my leg has no more swelling , isnt tight and i no longer have any muscle pain or soreness . Just kick back and let it heal . The hip doesnt need any therapy to heal . Good luck on your recovery .

14. labanan

labanan member

Canada Canada
    Yep, I'm ten weeks past my surgery and urge you to listen to the crew here. I feel great and I did pt exactly twice - I'm a slow learner! Both times I ended up in bed for 2 lousy days. Ice and rest! Listen to your body - our brains are shite at recovery as we are so geared to competitiveness and self-improvement. Be the tortoise - it is so worth it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. labosc

labosc junior member

Thanks guys its funny how you know this and then go back and do it again. So now I ice more and walk a little every hour and take my meds as directed. I should get it by now.

16. kayak59

kayak59 senior

Hey all. I went from one week of home PT to aquatic PT and loved it! I felt I could do more and had minimal to no PT pain afterwards. Love that 93 degree pool! Had to drive farther to get there but it was worth it! On off days, I went to my own gym and did the exercises to one degree or the other and/or just walked in the pool and worked on upper body stuff.

17. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

How's this new hip treating you ?
    Hope you're icing and elevating and watching the Hallmark Christmas shows. They make me nap:yawn:

18. labosc

labosc junior member

Just started the other day having pain in my groin. I had thr last June now having groin pain. My right hip done in November no pain at all. Yes I have done a lot of yard work and up and down ladders pass couple days but shouldn't be having this pain when walking.
    Anyone else out there that has this after a period of time. Just wondering what and why this is coming on now.
    Before this walking was just fine.

19. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @labosc
    Since you've been involved in activity recently, climbing ladders and engaging in yard work, possibly you
    aggravated something. Have you tried icing? If not, give it a try. If it continues to bother you, consider tagging the forum Nurse, Josephine. She may post a graph to pinpoint your area of pain and pose a series of questions.
    Just a consideration if ice and some rest doesn't ease your pain.
    Hope you have a nice Sunday!

20. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@labosc ,
    You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
    • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
    • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
    • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
    So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
    If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
    How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.