THR 10 mo post THR, potential loosening, need advice.

3 weeks today :)

I had my stitches taken off 5 hours ago, and I have a small question.

The wound looked really good, dry, with just one spot at the beginning of the incision where there was a scab about 4x4 mm (this is also the only place that bruised). They put small plasters along the wound to hold it, and dressing on top.

I am having some discomfort since the appointment. Here and there incision pain, mainly when I sit and there is more pressure put on the wound. Any of you experienced this? To be expected?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, I never had surgery before so this is all new :)

@ChickensMom No such thing as a dumb question!

Many members report discomfort just after having stitches removed. The area is still very tender from all the trauma. Then there is more trauma added when stitches are removed. Try icing the area to get things to settle. Be sure and put a cloth between your skin and the ice pack.

@ChickensMom No such thing as a dumb question!

Many members report discomfort just after having stitches removed. The area is still very tender from all the trauma. Then there is more trauma added when stitches are removed. Try icing the area to get things to settle. Be sure and put a cloth between your skin and the ice pack.

Thank you @Jaycey. The new dressing is completely clear of any discharge so I take it as a good sign :) I am icing around the clock today :D

ODIC club, membership for one please.

I thought the stitches removal yesterday was the reason for my discomfort, didn’t even think about choosing to go by metro and walking up the hill from the stop to get back home.

I am suffering today. SUFFERING.

I had my first physio appointment this morning and I barely made it. But since the hip hurt so much and was soooo stiff when I woke up, I thought at least it’s good that someone has a look at me.

I left a voicemail for the hospital as well saying I am in a world of pain.

Physio, who can only be described as an angel on Earth, saw me holding back tears when I walked in and immediately had me lay down and gently massaged my leg.

Both her and the hospital think I just over did it. I was instructed to stay off my feet over the weekend and use two crutches until the pain subsides. Back on oxy as well unfortunately:(

I thought ODIC would mean some sore muscles… like after a big workout at a gym…

Oh dear - sorry you joined the ODIC! Yes, sounds like way too much activity for a very new hip. Rest, ice and elevation will quickly ease all this. Take some pain medication if you need it.

Recovery is all about finding your limits, scaling back and trying again another day.

I was on my 4th cry today when my cat came and plopped himself on my leg :kittykiss:Hopefully he has some healing powers?;)

IMG_0225.jpg

I was going to vent about the pain and not being able to bend my hip more than 60 degrees today, but really, I would just be curious to hear from the rest of the ODIC members how long did your pain last?

Last edited:
@ChickensMom I found my feline friends very comforting during both my recoveries.

Please don't be discouraged. Don't assume you are starting this process again. Just a little bump in the recovery road! :console2:

Walking up a hill, I had problems with that too. It will take some sitting and icing to get over the ODI. It's a lot more than gym muscles which is why most of us warn against it as we've all experienced it. The muscles still aren't healed so they are not sore they are strained. Follow what the OS said and it might take more than a weekend. At 3 mos I did it and it took me 3 weeks to get back where I was.

Thank you bot @Jaycey and @Eman85 :SUNsmile:

Some of the stiffness eased today, and (as of now) I don't have any pain when resting, which is a huge relief.

Yesterday was really difficult as I couldn't find a position where it wouldn't hurt, and the 5mg oxy was barely scratching the surface. Today I am definitely not back to where I was on Wednesday, but I didn't take any oxy and I can move around the house without any major pain, and rest comfortably.

It does get better :)

I won't even attempt any walks outside over the weekend. Nice and slow.

Hi @ChickensMom & @Eman85
I can certainly identify with the hill problem. I'm at 3 months now and still struggling with stairs and hills. Some of my difficulty is with the arthritic left ankle which definitely hates any incline but trying to save the ankle puts pressure on the recently operated leg so I try to use two sticks to keep me balanced, only occasionally getting my feet tangled in them! :heehee:
Done very little activity over the last two days (except sitting too long without moving) and today I have muscle aches and stiffness all around my pelvis and lower back, including both (replaced) hips. Hoping gentle exercise will improve things.

Hi @ChickensMom & @Eman85
I can certainly identify with the hill problem. I'm at 3 months now and still struggling with stairs and hills. Some of my difficulty is with the arthritic left ankle which definitely hates any incline but trying to save the ankle puts pressure on the recently operated leg so I try to use two sticks to keep me balanced, only occasionally getting my feet tangled in them! :heehee:
Done very little activity over the last two days (except sitting too long without moving) and today I have muscle aches and stiffness all around my pelvis and lower back, including both (replaced) hips. Hoping gentle exercise will improve things.

I can relate to the arthritis aches felt otherwise in the body @Newhip_Pol :dubious: I hope your pain subsides quickly.

We need to find the sweet spot between no activity vs. too much activity, it is out there somewhere :)

I live on a very steep hill. my neighbourhood has the word "berg" (mountain) in the name for a very good reason :yes: So I am not really sure how I will be able to avoid walking on an incline. All I can hope for is that all the times I climbed the hill to get to my house have somewhat conditioned me to returning to this activity soon again ;)

I live in the mountains where the cows have short legs on one side so they don't fall off of the hills. I found out the hard way that walking around my home wasn't going to work. I had to practice on a flat walking track in town and in the big store near me.

I live in the mountains where the cows have short legs on one side so they don't fall off of the hills. I found out the hard way that walking around my home wasn't going to work. I had to practice on a flat walking track in town and in the big store near me.

That sounds like a great solution. I also like the idea of a controlled environment like a track. Nowadays even pinecones are my enemies.

I am unfortunately a city-dwelling European. Walking + taking public transport everywhere. Not a car in sight, only hills.

I am however happy to report that yesterday I did half the hill up to my place and felt even better waking up today. Slow progress.

It's 1 month tomorrow.

I joined the ODIC club Thursday last week. The next day, although I woke up feeling better, I re-injured myself making a rapid movement to the side with the operated leg. That was the worst. Friday and Saturday were spent staring at the walls and trying not to think about the pain.

Gosh, it took a long time for the pain to go away the second time. I had so much swelling in my buttocks, it felt like someone had sewn a stone ball into my glute, I couldn't even sit properly.

I have to give credit to my physio for helping me get over the fear of moving. I felt completely trapped by the thought of potentially injuring myself again. I went to see her on Monday, and after I gave her the full update, she put me on an exercise bike right away. No resistance, very slow motion, we were chatting away and before I knew it I was cycling for 5 minutes.

Next thing she had me do is to get on all fours from laying on my stomach. Did some cat pose stretches, albeit in terrible form, and I got off the table to the floor from my fours. That was huge for my mental health. I am able to do this? I had no idea!

And so despite feeling this huge knot in my butt, I got the confidence to continue with exercises. A little bit of walking, heel slides, standing on my toes, and a few more movements (mostly for upper body) to keep me entertained.

Happy to say that mobility is back to how it was before ODIC, and today I woke up feeling absolutely great.

But nothing is that easy, is it? ;) I spent the day at an emergency vet hospital with my catto being quite seriously ill. So there were some reckless decisions made, obviously... Lifting and carrying a 7.2kg cat, sitting in a waiting room for hours on end...

Keep your fingers crossed for me that I wake up tomorrow still in good spirits and ready for a few more short walks around the neighbourhood :)

Last edited:
:hi:
At one month post-op, it was very tricky for me to find a good balance between enough and too much.
I had the knot in my behind along with some groin aches...
Icing was getting old but still helpful especially after activity.:ice:

It is definitely a process :nah:

Hope your furbaby is okay.

I'm one week behind you and love to read your posts! I also live in a hilly neighborhood and have yet to attempt an excursion outside. But I'm building up my courage to attempt to walk to my mailbox, which is about 100 ft up the road with a gentle incline. Maybe I'll only go halfway today...

I'm so sorry to hear about your cat being ill. Our kitties are such loving little angels. My heart goes out to you, having to deal with this when you're also trying to recuperate. I hope he's feeling better today and is back to his normal happy self soon! :kittykiss:

@ChickensMom, I, too, live in the mountains. I bought a pair of Activity Poles and have no intention of ever giving them up when I walk outside. They provide balance and stability...and give you a higher calorie born :walking:

Hi @ChickensMom :wave:
I certainly hope you're doing well on this special day. Happy One Month Anniversary!
Enjoy the weekend and best wishes for a new week better than the last.

I'm one week behind you and love to read your posts! I also live in a hilly neighborhood and have yet to attempt an excursion outside. But I'm building up my courage to attempt to walk to my mailbox, which is about 100 ft up the road with a gentle incline. Maybe I'll only go halfway today...

I'm so sorry to hear about your cat being ill. Our kitties are such loving little angels. My heart goes out to you, having to deal with this when you're also trying to recuperate. I hope he's feeling better today and is back to his normal happy self soon! :kittykiss:
Thank you @MeowWoofMomma :froggies: He is doing a bit better, we are waiting for the blood test results to come back. We have been going to emergency vet every year like clockwork so it's good that they took a lot of test this time, at least we will know if something else is going on.

Those first few walks are a bit scary, but also it feels really good to leave the house. I was stuck inside the first few weeks due to snow, which probably worked out for the better, since I have a hard time taking it slow ;) I hope the right time comes for you soon to conquer the mailbox :)

@ChickensMom, I, too, live in the mountains. I bought a pair of Activity Poles and have no intention of ever giving them up when I walk outside. They provide balance and stability...and give you a higher calorie born :walking:

That is a really good idea @Merrimay, there are so many people in my neighbourhood doing nordic walking, I would not stand out at all. I find crutches very awkward when you have to go to the store or post office. My pharmacy has these nifty crutch holders when you come up to the till. I never noticed them until now, of course!

Hi @ChickensMom :wave:
I certainly hope you're doing well on this special day. Happy One Month Anniversary!
Enjoy the weekend and best wishes for a new week better than the last.

Thank you @Layla, I definitely feel like things are finally picking up. Fingers crossed I stay on this track!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Pbrunmier
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom