10 days and counting

Hi @Eddie 1
Welcome to BoneSmart!
You've come to the right place for information and support.
Good luck with the pre-op tomorrow.
We'll add your surgery date as January 18th unles we hear otherwise.
Best wishes as you await surgery next week!

The pre-op definitely makes it real...don't let anxiety get a hold of you.
Bye bye hip pain...Yay for new hippy @Eddie 1 .
The other side has its bumps, but temporary. We are rooting for you.

Congrats @Eddie 1 for being in the final countdown. If you are like most of us, you are ready to get rid of the pain.

Wishing you lots of luck and an easy recovery, and hope your run-up is trouble free :fingersx:

@Eddie 1 You won't regret getting this amazing surgery done! No more sitting on the sidelines watching life go by. Good luck with your pre-op.

Oh not long now for the 18th @Eddie 1 and then you get your life back. Are you having the sedation/spinal route? Worked a treat for me. Then it's all rest, ice, meds, sleep, with a few up and down bits along the way but plenty of advise and info here to help you along the way. take care.

This is the most amazing surgery EVER! You get your life back! It’s freaky to think about (the actual surgery itself) but just trust your team. Most of the time, everything goes like clockwork. I have had both hips replaced over an 8 year span, and both times (one posterior/one anterior) I left the tyranny of arthritis pain behind me. ICE more than you’ve ever dreamed of icing! It helps so sooo much!
Best wishes as you enter this countdown,
Patrikya

Has anyone found their hip actually getting worse closer to op day?

Hi @Eddie 1
To answer your question....Yes!
I think it's a combo of stress and not using any pain reliever.
Feeling tense and anxious will probably have you more keenly aware of your hip.

Easy advice to give......try busying yourself as much as you're able. Pleasant distraction
will probably benefit you, relieving pain or discomfort temporarily. I hope you're not feeling too miserable.

Just think, four days from now you'll have surgery behind you and you'll be onto recovery. I'll bet you do great!
Best wishes for comfort and peace of mind as you await the 18th.

I can say yes, mine was terrible and there are many here who say yes.
Equally distressing are those who experience a temporary reprieve and worry the THR may be unnecessary..
I knew I was ready.:sad:

@Eddie 1 For the last 3 weeks prior to surgery, I’d have a few “good” days interspersed with mostly bad. But those good days were enough to make me cast doubt on the surgery. In fact, on my pre-op appointment a week before the surgery (when I was having a random good day), I asked my surgeon to review (with me, the patient) my hip X-ray and explain to me why he thought I was a valid candidate for THR! He did so and said “I can only give you a medical opinion, but X-rays can’t lie.”

Now that I’m 5 weeks post-op, my request of my OS seems utterly insane! (Side note: in retrospect, those “good” days were not good at all—just less bad).The morning I got up to go to the hospital for surgery, it’s as of I’d let go or something; my hip felt absolutely wretched. I recall sighing and thinking “I’m truly ready for this.”

Pre op told me I can use my medication up to surgery (diclofenic and nefopam) but I have cut them down to 1 tab of each during these last few days. The pains just constant, just goes to show how bad things really are!!

Last edited:
Hi @Eddie1
Consider ice or heat if you haven't already. Possibly you'll get a few good hours out of one or the other.
I'm sorry.....I know how miserable it can be. At this point you're just aching to be in recovery.
Hang in there, you're almost to the finish line.

I think part of why my pain seemed even worse was the closer the date got, the more I gave myself permission to acknowledge the pain. Also, going of the anti-inflammatory meds (which I was convinced weren’t doing anything), added to the pain. Final days @Eddie 1. Your current pain will be replaced with surgical pain, but it will pass.

I did use my heating pad to excess the last months pre-op...it provided some kind of comfort if not pain relief.
Will be thinking of you Thursday !
But bye hip pain...:dancy:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom