TKR 10 Days After Surgery Back Flaring

It isn't necessary that you sleep only at night. Sleep whenever and wherever you can. Your body needs that. I, too, had an awful time sleeping at night so I would take naps morning, afternoon and early night until I was able to sleep more at night. Staying awake during the day isn't helping your body at all. Grab that sleep when you feel sleepy. It doesn't have to be at night!
Good point. I’m avoiding doing that because I don’t want naps to affect night time sleeping but I’m not sleeping at night anyway, so I’ll heed your advice. My pain is nearly nonexistent during the day but at night it is an unwelcome visitor. It helps to know I’m not alone...that others have weathered and walked through this. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I could have never gotten by without pain medication for the first couple of months. But I understand how some people don't like them. My neighbor had TKR a few months before me and she just took Tylenol from the first week. Hard for me to see how that's possible but I believe her.

I am 11 weeks post op and still wake up in middle of night. :good-bad:

What has helped me is to have a plan for what I will do when I DO wake up.
Former U. S. Navy, so I never pass an opportunity to use the restroom, then I either go to family room to read, work on various crafts, or go back to bed to sleep.

I find the last couple of weeks have me not using the restroom as much, only spending time rolling over. Mainly because that is still an EVENT.:heehee: so I have to wake up to do it.

I am going back to work in a couple of weeks. My concern with lack of sleep is more based on I have difficulty staying on topic, use wrong words, etc. I don't want my younger colleagues to think I have gone batty!

Hang in there, use that journal and other posts on the forum in the middle of the night. It is so cool to post at 3 am and someone in the world is also up!

After each of my PKRs, my back pain was debilitating. In each instance, it lasted between 3 an 4 months and then went away. For replacement one, I used Oxycodone to get by. For number 2, I could only get oxycodone for 2 months and it took serious begging. After that, I took tramadol even though I found it unpleasant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excited. Monday will be five weeks since knee replacement. Made lots of progress this week. Sleeping better, less pain and therapy going well. Just one glitch that arose two days ago. I have pain on the outside of my ankle on the operated leg. It gets progressively worse as I walk. The therapist thinks it’s coming from a nerve in the left outside of the knee. He suggested two stretches, one in which I hang my heels off a step and hold. When I do the stretches, the pain leaves but does return and then I stretch again.
Has anyone else experienced this ankle discomfort?
Thanks for your input!

A lot of us have had low leg, ankle and even foot pain after this surgery. Having a new knee makes us walk differently, and that affects our whole body. Time should take care of this new pain of yours.

Oh thanks so much. Stretching seems to help, so I wondered as much but your reply eased my worries. The ankle is swollen today but I was out and about on it for more than six hours yesterday, Christmas shopping, having dinner. Today will be an icing and elevating day.

Well I’ve reached the 6 week mark. Some days are good, as are some nights, but I’m realizing as so many have said on BoneSmart that TKR is an up and down thing. I am making good progress, shopping for Christmas, cooking, etc. but I feel like I’ve backslid in regard to being able to sleep on my side without discomfort.
I’d love to hear from some of you further down the road to recovery to get an idea how long it might be before this might occur. Thanks for any input.

I feel like I’ve backslid in regard to being able to sleep on my side without discomfort.
I don't think you have backslid at all. Different aches and pains occur in the first few months quite frequently. It could be that it hurts now on your side because you've used different muscles recently that have become quite sore. It could be anything. It is normal to have these things pop up during this healing and it's nothing to be concerned about. It is definitely a yoyo recovery for everybody!

Thanks for the support and speedy response. That makes sense. I was having a severe pain in the ankle, sharp, making it difficult to walk. It lasted four days but one day it just left.

Woke at 4 a.m. and had good company reading lots of posts and gaining knowledge and encouragement from BoneSmarters. The support i’ve received on this knee journey I started 6 1/2 weeks ago has been so beneficial. Thanks to all of you at all stages for your wisdom.

Tonight after sleeping on my side, yeah, for five hours I felt euphoric. Hoping for this because back sleeping hurts my back. But I also am learning to be realistic. I might not be able to side sleep from now on! This recovery is fickle, as I note many of you also realize. To stay on track I’ve found it necessary to try and have zero expectations. And on days, or during hours when I feel I’m losing ground, rather than gaining ground, to just feel the yucky feelings and know they will pass. For example, this week I can’t seem to bend my knee as well to get in the car, and I continue to struggle with back aches, which heat does help with.

I have made some progress with sleeping. Some nights I do feel comfortable in bed and can sleep, which is just awesome. This is happening more frequently, what a gift.

I try to listen to my body. When I felt my therapy was making my knee more sore I called my therapist and told him so. He agreed I should back off for a couple of days.

I had a bit of a downer tonight at a holiday party. I just couldn’t stand for small talk because of my back aching so I sat down. A woman I know came to talk to me and she’d had a TKR some time ago. When I admitted I was struggling a bit with pain she told me she’d not really had much problem with her TKR and I deflated right on the spot...beware the dreaded conversational comparison! Lesson learned.

Hats off to all of you BoneSmarters! Keep posting aware! Thanks!

Before surgery I was a side sleeper also. While many members have been able to return to sleeping on their side, I am not one of them.

To be more comfortable on my back, I elevate my legs on the big foam wedge my hospital sent home with me. I also have an adjustable bed, so I was able to raise up the head of the bed, and just raising it a little bit took the pressure off my lower back. It’s been almost 3 years since my surgery, and I’m comfortable on my back even on a flat bed, as long as my legs are on my wedge, that I still sleep with.

I have no idea what I was charged for that wedge, but whatever it was, it has been worth every penny.

One thing I like to think about when I’m tempted to compare is this: our knees are like exotic plants, each requiring a particular care regimen. Some need more light, some less; some can only be misted when watering, some can drink whatever you throw in the pot; some have to be in sandy soil, some grow on the bark of trees, some can grow in a pile of dirt you dropped on the sidewalk. The thing to be proud of is not the ease with which the plant grows but the care you give the plant you’re growing.

Keep tending your knee so that it can blossom for you!

she told me she’d not really had much problem with her TKR
You'll get that a lot, she's probably either lying or has just blanked out the memories.

You describe what seem to me to be normal, if horrible, consequences of TKR. Your body is adjusting, and this causes stresses and strains, aches and pains. They will all go away over time.

Tonight after sleeping on my side, yeah, for five hours I felt euphoric.
That is outstanding at only 6 weeks!
I try to listen to my body.
That's the key to having a less painful recovery.
A woman I know came to talk to me and she’d had a TKR some time ago. When I admitted I was struggling a bit with pain she told me she’d not really had much problem with her TKR and I deflated right on the spot...beware the dreaded conversational comparison! Lesson learned.
Since she had her TKR some time ago, I bet she forgot. Just this past Saturday I friend came over who had a TKR about a couple of years before mine. She said she didn't have any pain and took very few pain meds. She didn't realize that I had gone through her recovery with her and remember quite well the agony she was in and the sleepless nights she had. She took plenty of prescription pain meds. In those days the doctors would prescribe them for as long as you needed them.

You are doing great and don't let anyone bring you down. Sometimes it seems like that's all people want to do. Celebrate that new knee of yours. It will serve you well!

Thanks for the input! I had to laugh at she’s either forgotten or she’s lying! Humor sometimes is the best medicine!!

My sister had knee replacement two years ago and is coming off a tummy bug today. She is concerned about getting an infection in her knee. I have wondered too about the UTI I just got today leading to an infection in the knee. My sis and I have reason for this fear. Our dad had two knees abs a hip. On his last knee he got an infection and it destroyed a disc in his back and affected his brain. Dad was then in nursing homes for seven years before he passed. This was about 12 years ago, still it haunts us. How likely is it for an infection like a UTI to lead to a knee infection? It’s 6 1/2 weeks since I had TKR. Sure I’m maybe being paranoid! Thanks, all!!

Hoping for some help. My left knee replacement done on 11-5 is doing really well. I’m doing my therapy at home and following BoneSmart’s advice with exercise. Overall I’m really pleased except for one thing, back pain.
I have had a couple of bulging discs in the past and a bit of stenosis, but always with therapy pain eventually subsided. Since my surgery, however, I’ve been dogged by sharp, fleeting nerve pain in my lower back. It just zaps for seconds and leaves.
Has anyone else experienced this? I’m getting very discouraged and anxious that this is my new norm.
Initially I thought the issue was from walking with a limp but that is resolved. I’m walking five times a week on a treadmill without any problem. I’d love to hear if others have had back pain following knee replacement. Thanks!!

@Cstucky Have you purchased new shoes since your TKR? Wearing shoes with a pre-op wearing pattern can cause aches and pains. You don't have to replace every pair of shoes - just the pair you wear most often.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back