1 year on

Nathan

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi guys

Been while since I posted here as I thought my story had ended. Today I had an MRI on my right hip to confirm my worst fear ... my right hip has a hole and the top is cracked. So I have avascular necrosis now in my right side, this hasn't been confirmed as yet but the pain tells me it is that.

I just hope I can get the same surgeon!!

Nathan

RIGHT HIP (1).jpg

Hi Nathan. I remember you. I'm sorry you're facing another surgery.
You powered through the last one like a champ. I'm sure you'll do the same again. It's simply a big fat inconvenience, isn't it? You know we'll be here to encourage and support you as you journey through.
I hope you're not in a lot of pain. Stay in touch and enjoy the weekend!
@Nathan

Hi Layla ... thanks for your message. Yeah I'm a lot of pain and taking Tramadol to try to ease it a little.

It hasn't been confirmed yet but you can clearly see a crack and a hole. Damn it hurts. Hopefully it can get sorted soon. On the NHS it's a 6 month waiting list. I just hope all goes well.

And thanks for your support !

You're Welcome, Nathan.
I'm sorry you're in a lot of pain. A six month wait...that's awful!
Hang in there, we're here when you need us. We've all been there and
understand how difficult the wait can be. Wishing you comfort.
@Nathan

Oh my stars, @Nathan
Hate to hear that you are in such dire straits.
I'm not familiar with UK procedures...
Is there a process to get this expedited @Josephine ?
Sounds like an emergency to me.

I'm trying to get referred to my last surgeon in a private clinic through my doctor

Im trying to get referred to My last surgeon in a private clinic through my Doctor
That's the way to do it @Nathan . You should be able to get into a private consultation with your surgeon of choice in a matter of days. Unfortunately there will still be a wait for your surgery. But at least you start moving forward quicker. Ask what the wait time is during your appointment.

Don't rightly see how you have your humor still in tact, but ...good on you.
Praying for a quick response :beg:

MRI Report is back as follows
Title: MRI right hip
Clinical Indication: 2 months worsening severe right hip pain and restriction history of AVN on the left

Findings: Acute right femoral head AVN with diffuse reactive oedema in the femoral head and neck into the proximal shaft, no collapse of the head at the moment.
Large right hip joint effusion. Diffuse reactive oedema in the adductor muscles of the right side as well as the external obturator.
No evidence of femoral acetabular impingement or labral tear.
Left hip replacement is noted, left-sided trochanteric bursitis is noted.
Intrapelvic organs are normal.
Both SI joints.

I'm not a doctor (I know, shocker..lol) but
Acute right femoral head AVN
Just as you suspected.
No evidence of femoral acetabular impingement or labral tear.
That's good!:)

Left hip replacement is noted, left-sided trochanteric bursitis is noted.
Glad they noticed LTHR..AND bursitis on new hip...OUCH:groan:

Intrapelvic organs are normal.
Also good!:)

Both SI joints.
:shrug:
What does that mean?

Well, it sounds like you are double hippy bound!
Praying it is sooner than later!

Thanks @mojo .. I’ve got the ball rollong . ( not ball joint) hopefully Jeremy will see of a matter of urgency next week .. also know as the best hipster in the UK !!!

no collapse of the head at the moment
Avoid this at all cost! Baby that hip as much as you can. My left hip collapsed and believe me you do not want that pain. Fingers crossed you an get an appointment soon!

Thanks guys .. no a collapse is the worst case senerio... so no weight bearing at all ..

And Thanks for all your care and attention much appreciated guys

TYPOS DUE TO TRAMADOL !!!!!

Last edited:
Nathan, I've reduced the size of your image and added some footnotes

RIGHT HIP (1).jpg

Yellow arrows: a spectacular case of AVN to be sure!
Blue arrow on the left, the evidence of trochanteric bursitis

It hasn't been confirmed yet but you can clearly see a ..... hole
Nathan, is this the hole you were referring to? (blue arrow on the right)?

Well I'm no expert at this hip replacement stuff but yeah it looks like the bone has crumbled to the right blue arrow. What are your thoughts @Josephine .. regardless it hurts like a hole.

I'm going to ask my surgeon to take a picture once the bone is removed. Last time he cut in half for research. I'm interested to see it. Would it be ok to post it ?

@Josephine and anyone else with the knowledge, why has this happened to me,? I know the potential causes, steriods, alcohol abuse and just damn born this way. But really, bar a few day's to the year, my left side went the same way, not as bad as this time.

But this is not arthritis and comes on within a month of feeling a twinge to not being able to walk. Thank god we live in an era we do as I would be a cripple right now.

Surely trochanteric bursitis is a direct result of AVN?

im going to ask my surgeon to take a picture once the Bone is removed ... last time he cut in half for research ... im interested to see it, would it be ok to post it?
Several of our members have posted images of their femoral head.
why has this happened to me
We have all asked this question. In my case it was congenital (inherited). Have any members of your family had joints replaced? Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw!

Here's a good article from our Library on Trochanteric bursitis with THR .

No family history as far as I know, must be the luck of the draw as you said.

Not having a good day today as I can feel the fluid increasing and the pressure building up causing a real deep ache, haven’t managed to get out of bed, I’ve taken as much medication as dare but nothing is touching it!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back