THR 1 year and 1 month and counting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ladies, How about those high heeled shoes?

Go Jennifer! Go Jennifer!

I was so bad on crutches that adding a heel would've been disastorous. I checked the older postings and on lady did get right back to work and heels @ 6 weeks. Bummer as I'm am just about at that point and no where near giving up my sneakers.

Not to worry. Heels are a goal of mine and I'll get there eventually :) I finally got comfortable with my height (5'10") and had to stop wearing heels. Life is funny sometimes...lol. Thanks!

I can't wear really high heels as I have back issues. But I would think that once you are fairly confident on your feet small heels shouldn't be a problem. Wait until your gait is steady again and you are not needing any walking aids. But as Jamie says - I too recall several hippies who went back to heels post-op.

LOL steady gait. Yup, it's in the future. In past posting people seem to make a leap back into life - around 4 months.

No reason you can't - providing you're not talking about heels like this :th_heehee:

at0_gstatic_com_images_127b3bdfa5292b356352f7f12e3037d5._.jpg

Hi , re heels - about 5 years ago I found an awesome pair of high heeled Jimmy Choo's in a charity shop - they are bright red and to die for. I've never worn them but swore to myself that one day I would. Am totally fed up as in my bit of the UK we have a lot of ice and snow and I am going out over Xmas to quite a few party's and don't think I have the bottle to wear them just yet :th_2tantrum2:

Seriously though I have worn flat heel shoes for years and am just getting a bit more adventureous with a slight heel - feels ok but am going into stiletto's just yet

What a timely thread, I was just thinking about this the other day.
I have a few holiday parties coming up and I always like to wear heels, when I dress up.
I'm going to give it a try and see what happens. Hopefully I don't end up on my butt!:th_yay:

Like Jaycey, I've only been able to wear flats or sneakers for years because of my back issues.

Funny, even years ago, like in my twenties, before I ever had back/hip issues, I was never comfortable walking in a heel. It just felt wrong, like I was about to tip over, and i don't mean stilettos!

I'm sticking with the flats and sneakers...:th_heehee:

Up until about 6 months prior to my surgery I regularly wore heels, fairly high. One of my goals in having the surgery was to be able to wear my heels again. I have every confidence that once I have relearned the correct gait to walk without limping I will be able to return to wearing the heels.
Just for interest my other main goal was to be able to walk 18 holes again. Obviously not with the high heels!:snk:

18 holes in heels :th_heehee:. They will hire you to aerate the greens!

:rotfl:

I was wearing lower heeled boots at about three weeks and regular pumps (not stilettos) at 6 weeks to work (someone up higher may have pulled my old post and mentioned this already).

After 11 months I can wear whatever I like and can walk in. No problem with the hip, just problems with my coordination so I tend to lean towards lower heels most days.

These are the important questions that you can only get the answers to here! That is why almost one year out I still check in and see what everyone is talking about!!!:snk:

Laura

1/21/2010 ceramic LTHR uncemented

Hi, Laura!!! Nice to hear from you again. Be sure and drop by our New Year's Eve party, okay? It's a good chance to chat with folks from "back when...."

Certain PT moves cause PAIN!

Hi everyone,

I need your learned opinions. When I do certain PT movements (laying on non-operative side) knees bent and try and raise the operated leg the muscle spasms explode through thigh.

I've been having this since surgery as I've whined about - lol. Should I keep trying to do excercise? Or should I wait until next check up to review w/ surgeon (next week).

The downside is I can still feel the subluxation and or slippage because those holding in muscles are not getting exercised. Occuring under a variety of postitions sitting mostly.

Re: Certain PT moves cause PAIN!

If it is possible for you to do the exercise just to the point of pain and then stop, I would do that. Otherwise I would wait and talk to your surgeon. How long before you can get in to see him? Or can you call and discuss the problem with him or with his assistant?

Are you taking adequate pain medication before your therapy? If not, I would try taking your meds about a hour before doing the exercises. That may help.

Also, ask the therapist if there are other exercises you can do besides this specific one to strengthen those muscles.

I'm sorry this is still giving you pain.

Thanks Jamie. Good idea about other excercises. I'll ask the PT. Calling they will tell me to come in and I have the appt for next week.

Thanks!

Are you able to do this exercise?

hip_abduction_standing.gif

If so, I would work on that for now. Try to move slow, so you aren't letting gravity and momentum do the work for you.

Then, when you are there next week, let them know you are having trouble with that other exercise. It might be worth a session or two with a physical therapist to get that worked out.

Kristin I had this problem as well - with the same exercise. Just scale back on this one for now. If you can do the other version that Alex suggested give it a try. Otherwise talk to your PT. Things might just need to settle a bit more. I waited for a few weeks and tried again with no problem.

I agree that you might need more rest. The muscle spasms are not fun. I still have them a little when I try to straighten my leg, lying flat on my back. I would definitely let your OS know about the pain. Everyone is different. I hope this works itself out soon for you. Prayers are with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
shibbard
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom