1 Year after Total Left Hip Replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoungGuy

Country
Canada Canada
Finnally, the year has almost come to an end since i had my Hip replacement.

As most know, about 4 months after the surgery i went off to work at the pipeline, doing hard physical labour. Although i was not effected by pain, i have chosen to quit the physical route.

I will be attending University next fall, to Major in Psychology. After i Major, i plan on Mastering in the field. Depending on how attaining my masters degree will determing if i attempt for my PhD or not. I am also hoping to Major in sports science, using the two degree's I will become a Sports psychologist dealing with people whom have had a severe injury or freak accident that has left them incapable of continuing their athletic passion. I know for myself, i had a very difficult time cooping with what happened, since my hip problems arose when i was 15...I had a very promising future in basketball and/or volleyball. I know, with my personal experience along with the mass education I will have to attain...I can make a difference in many lives.

I have continued playing basketball, the sport i love...The sport i was told i would never play again, and I am as good as i have ever been. Sprinting 100%, and able to play defense the way defense should be played. I am also able to dunk the basketball once again, which almost made me cry the first time i did it...Was the goal of a lifetime, especially with a hip replacement...Just shows that their are no limits to what one can accomplish with prayer and strength of mind.

This is the 1 year picture of my incision!

Everyone on this website who has helped me through the worst of the worst, and been there through the best of the best...I can not explain how much appreciation I have, I love you all...And you are all so strong.

Regards,

Tyler - 21/Male -- Full Left Hip Replacement.

hipl.jpg

Well, it's really great to hear from you, Tyler, and to know that you are doing so well. I can just about see the remains of your scar but it is very faint. Amazing how that happens, isn't it? All the best for the future, my friend. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. Once a BoneSmart chick always a BS chick!

OK!!! Now that we've seen the remnants of your scar.....can we get a pic
Of your face!,Not only have YOU healed Tyler,,,,,but now you're
On your path to heal others! Wow!!! That's awesome!!!

Tyler -what an inspirational story! So glad to hear you are back to basketball. Good luck with college too.

Your fellow "young person"
~Melissa (27) -Just had a RTHR on 3/17/09

Isn't it amazing how a "bad" thing in life can spin into a very "good" thing. Tyler, your goals are amazing and I believe you will reach them and will be able to help people realize their dreams also. It doesn't get any better than that!!

Please check in now and then so we can know how you are progressing!

(((HUGS)))) to you!!!

Tyler--Way to go! I love basketball. I was a very avid player and played up until my mid 40s, but at 51, and with a few extra pounds on me at 210, I figure that I'll let basketball take it's natural place in most aging athlete's lives-on the bench. Still, I had BTHR on 4/1/09 and I've threatened to play at my family reunion in August 2009. We always enjoy spirited games and I'm not sure I'm ready to let the young kids take over yet ( Actually, I think they took over about 10 years ago).
Anyway, it is very impressive to me that you are playing as I always heard that BBall is about 3x more high impact than jogging. Just to be able to play has got to be a major victory. Has your OS told you that this will shorten the life of your hip or has he said that with care, you can play forever? And is one implant better for bball than another? Did you consider resurfacing?
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back