THR 1 week post surgery

Hoppityhip

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi, had my right THR last week. Despite a lot of trepidation about surgery it all went well. I had an epidural and felt surprisingly well post op. The hospital had an enhanced recovery programme and I was out of bed using a walker within 8 hours. Following physio I was discharged after an overnight stay (30 hours post surgery) using crutches to get about.
I think I must have a high pain threshold as I have only taken paracetamol as pain relief for the last 2 days. Having read other threads I think that I must be very fortunate not to experience high levels of pain. It seems trivial to say that my main issues are lack of sleep and constipation!
Would be great to hear other recovery stories.

Hello :wave:Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us.
Congratulations on your new hip. It sounds like you're doing really well. I'll leave the Recovery Guidelines for you to read. Stop back with any questions and we'll do our best to help you out.
A great week to you!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @Hoppityhip

Oops, forgot to ask...
Please leave your surgery date below and which hip was replaced. The info will be applied as your signature.
Thanks in advance :)

I had my right hip replaced on October 1st.

:welome: @Hoppityhip !! Nice to "meet" you.. Glad to hear your recovery so far is going well, my first hip was similar, I would sit and smile, not believing my good fortune. I will say that the discomfort flared up more as the first week progressed, so try to keep on a good medication schedule so you don't need to play catch up.
Isn't it the best feeling to have it over with? The surgery?

Hi,
Just curious, but was the surgery Posterior or Anterior method?

I was told (just before my surgery in April) that, in general, it takes less time to heal when using the "anterior" method; however, I went with the surgeon I had (he only did it, as he put it, the old-fashioned Posterior way) only because I did not want to wait yet another 3 months for another Dr. to perform surgery on me when the pain was so horrible.

Glad that you are doing well.

hi
As far as I'm aware surgery was the posterior method. it's really good to have the surgery out of the way, just need to follow recovery guidance now.

Good Morning! :wave:
Following is an article on Constipation from the BoneSmart Library if you're
still struggling - Tap the article title in blue and the article will expand.

Wishing you a wonderful Wednesday!
@Hoppityhip

Hi @Hoppityhip
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
We hope you're doing well. Next time you're on the forum, please leave an update. We'd love to read about your progress,
Hope to hear from you soon. :wave:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom