THR 1 week in groin pain and leg length

TysMom09

Country
United States United States
I 50f just had my left hip replaced using the Superpath posterior minimal invasive method on 7/18/22. My leg was lengthened quite a bit because my right hip is also bone on bone so he had to be sure I was not going to be at risk of dislocation. My question is when I am laying down on my back I have pain in the operative side groin and down the thigh. My flexors we're tight before surgery. Is this normal? How am I supposed to walk with the length discrepancy, I can't get the right one done until May because of circumstances.

:wave: @TysMom09
:welome:to Bonesmart.

It is certainly normal to have groin and thigh pain...and at one week post op - everything is tight and sore!:sorry:
Hopefully you are taking your medications on schedule and staying iced up when resting... Ice was my best friend. :ice:
Things are really trying to settle down after this surgery so addressing the swelling is really helpful.
You really are in the early days of healing, so just short walks are going to be more helpful than trying to do any stretches at this point.
All Temporary...:console2:

Regarding the leg length differential, many new hippies who haven't had this adjustment performed still have a perceived LLD.
Here is an article that explains it all, and even with a the LLD you will need to let the surgery trauma settle before consulting with your surgeon about whether he thinks a shoe lift or insert might be helpful until your other hip is replaced.

There are some members here dealing with a real LLD and you could use the search feature (LLD) to find some examples.
I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines below.
Try not to project or worry too much... things will be getting better and easier.:ok:

Hee you go.
Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines can help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thank you for taking the time to reassure me. I'm trying to learn what I can. My PT doubled the amount of sets for the exercises on day three post op and the pain the next few days was worse. He's coming tomorrow, I'm going to tell him I think it's too much. I walk in the house as much as I can and and putting more weight on the operative leg so I will use more ice as well. I've not been using it too often. Thank you I am happy to have found this forum!

:heehee:@TysMom09
Yes, please use ice as much as you can...
it is a great antiinflammatory and pain reliever.

I dropped my PT at 10 days as I felt like it was counter-productive and felt like I dodged alot of unneccessary discomfort.
I asked the surgeon at 2 months to prescribe some for mostly gait training and some strenghtening exercises...
If you continue, lose your ego and work ethic.
If they ask for 10 of "these" and after 3 it is hurting and hard, just say "This is causing me alot of discomfort...now and later... maybe I will try more next time."
(If that doesn't work, tell them you think you are going to puke or pass out:heehee:)

You are in charge of your recovery and are healing.
Strengthening and toning can come later.

Thinking of you today and hoping you can rein your PT person in,

No sense in having you in pain so early out!

Sounds like a lot more PT then anyone would need inside of 2 weeks from THR. Ice was my friend whenever I was sitting or lying down. I kept it on as much as possible it felt so good. If it were me I'd call off the PT and rest with ice for a few days and see how it feels.

Hi @TysMom09

Welcome to this awesome forum. I'm no expert as I just had my right hip replaced 3 weeks ago today and am still recovering but from everything I have read on this forum... too much PT and too much exercise too soon is not a good thing. We need to rest, elevate, and ice. Then rest and ice some more. Do what feels good. Don't do what does not feel good. I am lucky to have a home health PT who comes in and has low expectations and encourages me to go slow and do less reps. We have to remember that our bodies just underwent a major trauma. Those muscles and nerves and tendons need to heal. They don't need to be stressed out with exercise. Just my humble opinion. Be good to yourself and enjoy the relax time with ice. Ice is your new friend for a few months. I hope you start feeling better soon.
Barbara

Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you've been doing well over the past three weeks. Leave an update as time allows, we'd love to read about your progress.
Take good care!
@TysMom09

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie