THR 1-8-19 hip surgery recovery

Yes, goblue61.....it was a 3 week trip that included all of those countries. My son and his wife invited me to join them and their goal was to visit a number of countries, so we only could stay 2-4 days in most places. We did stay longer in Greece and in Montenegro, where my father's ancestors were from. He died before ever getting to visit so that country was a bit of a memorial trip. And yes, it was quite a send off for the hip!:spin:I do believe it helped me go into the surgery in good shape overall, AND made me so appreciative of having the surgery ----I was so ready for it, and so relieved when it was done.:yes!:

Not sure I'll have enough $$$$ saved up for an international trip this summer, but plan to visit Phoenix this spring, and take a road trip with friends to Taos and Santa Fe, New Mexico this summer, plus our annual family trip somewhere in Colorado. Where do you plan to travel to next?

Isn't it a great feeling to have the first follow up appointment done, and get a good report? Glad things went so well!

Good update!:yes!:
You sound very sensible about this recovery and things will just keep getting Better and Better!
Nice to have staples removed and be able to drive if needed.
Hope today is a Good Day!:SUNsmile:

Not sure I'll have enough $$$$ saved up for an international trip this summer, but plan to visit Phoenix this spring, and take a road trip with friends to Taos and Santa Fe, New Mexico this summer, plus our annual family trip somewhere in Colorado. Where do you plan to travel to next?

Debru, My youngest son graduates high school and we told him we were going to Costa Rica to celebrate probably in mid July since my oldest son will be in summer school at Tx A&M till early July.

This may change though since the trip I was planning to Costa Rica would be a 10 day "adventure" vacation that would include Hiking in rain forest, Ziplining, Volcanos, and White water rafting. Probably more concerned about the rafting part of the vacation for the new hip. It might be smart to do Costa Rica next year and instead sit on a beach in Playa or Dominican Republic at an All Inclusive. I have some Time Share weeks I need to use or lose.
Summer in Colorado or Taos has got to be fantastic! We have only visited the mountains in the winter for ski vacations. I look forward to a visit in the fall sometime with my wife to hike and fish once my last son is out of the house.

Last edited:
Great milestones for you, especially getting the staples out! Keep up the great work!
:flwrysmile:

Great update, thanks for sharing.
He's got wheels again :driver: Woohoo!
Hope today is a good one for you :)
@goblue61

I have never been to Costa Rica, but a couple of my kids, and some friends have. The things you described as possible activities are the ones they did as well. If you can get your son to agree to postpone a year, that might give your implant more time to settle in and not keep you from doing some of the activities. An all-inclusive beach resort sounds like great fun!

I used to love white water rafting on some of the rivers in the Rockies. I am not a thrill seeker by nature, but sure loved the rush of the rapids. After my back surgery 9 years ago I was told I shouldn't whitewater raft. I never followed up to see if that was a temporary restriction or a forever one. I miss it---have decided to let my hip recover, and then ask my dr. at my 1 year follow up if I can give it a try again. What class are the rapids in Costa Rica? Is zip lining a jarring activity? I've never done it, but would wonder about it as well.

I think you and your wife would love the Rockies in the summer and early fall. In terms of hiking, there often is still snow until early summer, so June through August are the prime hiking and rafting months. Always something to do in CO in addition to the winter skiing. I used to cross country ski, but have never done downhill--quite a few of us don't ski---that always surprises people. I would imagine it is something you'll need to avoid for awhile as well???

Debru, Been to Colorado many times snow skiing along with the ski resorts in New Mexico. Angel Fire in NM is only a 13 hour drive so we have been there at least 10 times with the kids. Cross country skiing is great exercise but always seemed like too much work to me. Always thought why ski on flat terrain when you can fly downhill?

I am hoping that I will snow ski a year from now. If not I will not be heartbroken, but that is the goal for now. After I turned 50 I have slowed down a great deal and no longer have a desire to race my kids down the mountain which makes the wife happier. I should know my leg strength by November I would think as to whether I have the confidence I could ski the easy green/ blue runs at a New Mexico resort.

I think the rapids are class 3-4 in Costa Rica. By looking at video those rapids could really jar your body around. Probably harder on the back rather than the hip? Maybe both? Zip lining is all upper body and hip should be ok. I also would be concerned about all the walking and hiking that would be on my itineray in Costa Rica. At 6 months recovery, I would hate to be a member of the ODIC in a different country. (probably will be a member a few times before July anyway)

That first year I would think the recommendation will be to exercise caution on almost everything.

@goblue61 Yay, you get to drive! That gives you some freedom! Glad your healing is progressing well.

I did some downhill skiing in my younger days but not interested anymore. I don't need to wreck my knees any more than they already are, lol! That's probably the original damage to my left knee that bothers me now. It sure was fun though - learned at Sunrise in the AZ White Mountains, then went to Winter Park and Vail in CO on one trip - that was fabulous! I love Colorado too, it is so beautiful. I live in the Sonoran desert part of AZ which is also a beautiful, widely varied state.

Last edited:
Class 3 and 4 rapids are lots of fun, but you're right----definitely jarring. I'm with you on being cautious and not messing anything up the first year for sure. I need to do additional research to find out more for the following year. I also had been told by my back surgeon not to ride in speed boats because of the jarring.

@desertrat --Is the Sonoran Desert near Tuscon? Years ago on a trip to AZ we went to the Sonoran Desert Museum---amazing. A couple years ago my daughter and I went to the Botanical Gardens while we were staying in Phoenix which also was cool! What city/town do you live in?

I had 2 surgeries for slipped discs. I was told no roller coasters, no rapid rafting or other jarring activities for life unless I preferred to live in pain. That advice was from the Ortho surgeon to the Seattle SeaHawks.

@Debru4 I live out in the desert SE of Phoenix, kind of between Phoenix and Tucson but closer to Phoenix. Closest town is Queen Creek. The Sonoran covers a good part of southern AZ including Phoenix, and part of northern Mexico. I grew up in Phoenix and have lived in and around it most of my life.

@Carriemay60 --thanks for the info! It makes sense given that my surgeon didn't say, "No speed boat rides or whitewater rafting for _______ months." Bummer, but there are lots of other fun things to do in the world and it would never be worth returning to the pain! How did you score such an illustrious surgeon?:wow:

@desertrat---I should have realized how huge the desert was before I asked if it was by Tuscon---heck, it stretches clear into CA doesn't it? I love Arizona---great place to live once retired as well. Will your boyfriend retire also? It's great that your employer is not hassling you about taking the extra time. :) :-) (:

Happy Three Week Anniversary!
Hope you're doing well.
I read elsewhere you're practicing heel-toe walking which feels so weird at first. At least I thought so.
I had to constantly remind myself as I was in early recovery, but it truly seems to help.
Wishing you a nice Tuesday and a great rest of the week :)
@goblue61

Layla, Thanks for note of encouragement. Yes its been 3 weeks since surgery and I feel I am doing much better than I expected pre-surgery. I haven't really posted anything recently since not a lot has changed since week two. I drive every day to my office and am able to sit for longer periods of time now without as much discomfort.

I still use a cane 75% of the time but can walk without it easily for short periods of time. Hope to ditch the cane sometime soon, but not really a big deal right now since I can drive, work part time, and get around easily where ever I want to go.

I do pay attention to walking heel toe at all times (with and without the cane) and that seems to be working well allowing me to walk upright and with better form.

There is no pain at all except for some discomfort now and then (usually from sitting too long) that require OTC meds and a Hydrocodone in the evening sometimes.

Started to sleep on my right side this past weekend and boy that was a nice milestone! I sleep a lot better being able to switch positions and wake up the legs.

My first out patient PT will be this Friday. Don't really know what to expect right now and what they might have in mind. The original Physical Therapist my surgeon recommended did not accept my insurance. I think I am educated enough from this site on what I will let them do.

Thanks again

Goblue, I think you are managing your recovery very smartly.
Not trying to point fingers in the least but I think a lot of men try to be heroes a bit an maybe try to rush things. Especially in our generation and older, there is the thinking that men are the providers, the strong ones and when you are down with something like this or an illness, it knocks the wind out of their souls.
Well!! That was a bit long winded just to say I think you are being very smart, which in my opinion makes you very brave.
Keep up the great work!

Hi there,
Thanks for updating. You're doing great! Don't forget about icing on those evenings when you're experiencing discomfort. Like when you're watching tv, reading, or whatever you choose to do when you want to chill for a bit. Josephine, the forum Nurse recommends icing for no less than 40-60 mins. per session. You may take comfort in doing this for weeks or even months to come.

Wishing you the best with PT on Friday. Don't be afraid to say NO to anything that hurts. You don't want to be sidelined from what seems like a good recovery.
A great rest of the week to you!
@goblue61

Good news Blue! One thing I've taken away from this forum is the PT, or lack there of. I'm trying to commit to walking each day, and slowly working up in distance; working on a half-mile currently. Plus, one still has moving around the house, getting to/in the car, to the office, back in the car, stairs anywhere, sitting, get up, standing, et al so it's not like you're dormant "not doing anything."

I'll be curious what types of things your outpatient PT thinks are appropriate for you to be doing at this stage. Be sure to update us if you have some time!

Glad to hear how well you are doing....sounds like you are on track for summer travel! (Be sure to keep that in mind if your PT has any crazy ideas for you to try---haha!)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562