1/14 surgery... Improved RoM?... or am I kidding myself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyTKR

I am having right TKA on Jan 14th. Nerves aside, :shocked: I normally don't have much pain unless I over extend (uneven ground) climb stairs, step off a curb wrong...that sort of thing. My main problem is range of motion (I can barely bend my leg backwards even 4-5") which has seriously affected my life-style. You see, my family has owned dual motorcycle franchises for over 30 years and riding with our customers is what we do. Hubby and I lead several trips each year, 2-3 weekend trips and 2 or more cross country, about 300 miles per day, spanning 5 days up to 2 weeks each and thousands of miles. I haven't been able to even get on the bike for two years now... so I follow in my car. :boohoo: My Ortho knows my situation and has said I should be fine but the closer Jan 14th gets the more fear I am having. Will I really have good range of motion when therapy is finished? Or, am I kidding myself and doing this operation for nothing?

Yes you will.

It seems impossible now, but it's probably bone spurs (extra growths) preventing the movement, which will be removed during surgery.

Thank You Roy :)
I know I have spurs in my neck causing some issues. And I had surgery 5 years ago on back of both ankles. Achilles were removed, spurs shaved and then tendons reattached. After that I'm not sure why this TKR is bothering me so much. :shrug: Even my husband fears I'm making a mistake. But if RoM for me is more a spur issue that actually brings me some comfort.

If it was all for nothing, then why are almost one million people world wide having knee replacements every year? Honestly, the statistics are awesome. It's normal to be skittish about this time but don't let it put you off. This is just natural nerves - even I had them!

LadyTKR welcome to BoneSmart! You found a great place for information and encouragement. I had an LTKR two years ago and I am so happy that I had it done. I was also very nervous, when I was 40 I was told that I would need to have my knee replaced. I waited until I was 55 and could hardly walk.

I also had very limited ROM, I could not sit in the back seat of a car because I couldn't bend my knee enough to sit comfortable. I had a terrible limp, pain, and my leg was deformed. That is all gone now! The new knee is great. Before I had about 30 degrees of ROM and now I have about 105 degrees!

It has totally changed my life. I am back to doing all the things that I could not do before without pain. I can walk long distances, cycle, spin, and even run if I need too. I think you are doing the right thing. Your knee is not going to get any better. Now I can look back and say that I should have done it sooner.

My main problem is range of motion (I can barely bend my leg backwards even 4-5") which has seriously affected my life-style...... Will I really have good range of motion when therapy is finished? Or, am I kidding myself and doing this operation for nothing?

Welcome LadyTKR
Ummmm.... you don't have ROM now so how can having it be for naught? Probably pretty hard to do stairs without a range of motion, or get up from a seated position? But you have adjusted your lifestyle, as many of us did, to accommodate your limitations.

If you read on, you'll find people skiing, snowboarding, cycling, and yes, even riding their beloved motorcycles after years of not being able to participate in life. Me, I am planning on hiking this early summer, something I haven't done for many many years. Fear not, you'll get there too!

It has totally changed my life. I am back to doing all the things that I could not do before without pain. I can walk long distances, cycle, spin, and even run if I need too. I think you are doing the right thing. Your knee is not going to get any better. Now I can look back and say that I should have done it sooner.

I was awake worrying last night again for hours, but right now though....I find myself smiling at what you've said. Thank You !

I was awake worrying last night again for hours, but right now though....I find myself smiling at what you've said. Thank You !

You are very welcome. My knee is truly a miracle, it gave me my active life back and you will have yours back too. Don't worry, just think of all the things that you will be able to do again. You will feel 10 years younger!

Speaking of motorcycles.... I was back riding my bike less than 2 months after my BTKR. Felt great!

Good luck with your surgery and recovery.

Howard

Oh you will do things that you don't even realize that you aren't doing now. Good luck..I feel like a walking miracle. You will also..more like a riding miracle.

WOW !!!! Howard...You were back riding in just 2 months after having both knees replaced at the same time. That's so cool. Did your OS give you any suggestions on getting on or off the bike and how long you could ride before stopping ???

Well I didn't exactly discuss it with him. At my 6 week post op visit, he gave me the clearance to drive, go back to work, etc. I was off the heavy duty meds. I felt ready, tried a short ride first, all was well. On longer rides, my knees used to hurt a lot after a while. No more though. Haven't ridden in a few weeks due to the weather here but it's supposed to be close to 60 (F) Saturday so I hope to get out for a bit.

Like you and the others I had limited ROM before. Just had two year check up and OS asked me to show him how much I could bend. I just grabbed my ankles and pulled in until my heels came to about 2 or 3 inches of my butt and his jaw dropped. Most of the patients they see are just happy with limited activities he said. But with what you are doing (cycling, hiking, snowboarding, surfing) you have more ROM than I am used to seeing. Made me feel good. Also learned how few people OS gets to see that are active.

Best luck with your surgery.

IWill I really have good range of motion when therapy is finished? Or, am I kidding myself and doing this operation for nothing?

I will tell you this---i was tired of the pain and the lack of mobility---I hated the stiffness and the inability to sleep at night.

I, too, was nervous, but I will tell you this---I had a BTKR a tad over five years ago, and I am in better shape now than I was six or seven years ago! I have no doubt that you will be equally amazed at your ROM and your new lifestyle!

Thank you all. I'm down to the wire now. I got my call for the surgery time which is scheduled for 12:30 PST tomorrow the 14th. So today I am trying to remember to take Deeeeep Breaths. Almost done packing and tonight hubby and I are supposed to go out to dinner with youngest son and his family. that means I get to see my 18mth old G-son who is absolutely GORGEOUS :angel: Of course that is all a "hopeful" though since baby has been running 102* fever these last couple days. Probably teething, but want to make sure since that flu is hitting our area hard ~ even our older son and his family all came down with it.

Anyway, here I go, wish me luck guys. I'll post to ya all on the flip side. :spin:

Welcome Lady Tkr to Bonesmart, by now you are already on the other side, praying your surgery went fine, and recovery will go well as too.:flwrysmile:

Today is the big day---and we are think of you and praying for you, too---please post back when you are able and let us know how you are doing and how things went!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562