Revision TKR 1½ Years Out

amberpep

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
United States United States
Hi everyone ....
I'm back again ..... I hope you all, that are able, contribute to the site. Jamie and Josephine have worked like crazy to help us all and now we can support them.

I had my revision 1½ years ago, and after a lot of hard work (P.T.) my knee is great. But, the biggest problem I have is TERRIBLE balance! Holy cow! I have fallen numerous times but fortunately have not broken anything. Well, looking back, before I moved from MD, I fell and broke my left foot .... almost forgot.

Two days ago I was coming home, pulled my car into the garage, got out, and tried to step over a big bag of bird seed. Well, I didn't make it, and I fell backwards, hitting my whole right side and really clonking my head on the concrete floor. I just laid there .... I felt I could just stay there and sleep. I was so upset. Then comes the "getting up" part.

I finally got turned over, pulled myself up and came in the house. I laid down and put ice on my head ..... there were 2 giant lumps there already. After about an hour, I checked to be sure my eyes were dilated the same, I was not nauseous, so I felt like even with hitting the concrete, there was no concussion.

This is about the 4-5 time I've fallen since I had the RTKR Revision, and it scares me. I need some exercises to do, or a brace, or something. Can anyone offer any advice.

Many thanks friends ......
abby (Barb)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like something you need to talk with your doctor about. May not be related to knee but I'd get things checked out with your regular doctor also!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Thanks Charmed .... I'd do that but he's 3 hours away since I moved in October. I would go see him if I were closer. I also have to still use my hands to get up from the toilet. The knee feels great, but obviously it's weakened.
abby (Barb)

You need some strengthening and balance exercises. Find a GP in your area and have him order some physical therapy for you. Try outpatient therapy at least 2 times a week for several months. Medicare covers all but 20% and if you have "gap" insurance, you will have no copay. Also, look into joining a gym close by. If you can find a YMCA or community center they may have classes in Tai Chi or other balance programs. Yoga is great too.

You should find a new doctor locally, make sure you do not have something else affecting your balance and then work on strength.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Oooooh! I know how you felt! I once fell over in the garden and injured my shoulder and it took me the better part of an hour to get to my feet! Kept calling for help but nobody heard me! Turned out I'd sustained a massive tear of the muscles across the back/top of my shoulder so my arm was useless. It took months and months to get better.

Hi Barb,
Good to see you again, sorry to hear about your fall. You have received excellent suggestions to improve your balance. Hope you find a PT and/or class you like.

Hi everyone! It's good to be back and see you all again. Well, I'm 1½ years out from my revision on my right knee and it feels perfect ..... no pain or discomfort at all (unless it's going to rain). Only problem is that I have balance problems. I have fallen several times, and the last one made me decide to finally deal with it. I fell in my garage. I moved since I last visited with you all, to Harrisonburg, VA and saw a new Orthopedist last week.

I am going to have 4 weeks of PT for balance. Otherwise it's great. Not fun looking for new doctors.

My Molly (pup in the picture) is coming to the end of congestive heart failure. That's going to be so hard when I have to put her down.

It's so great to be back here again! I love "seeing" you all! Bring me up to date on how you all are doing!

abby :catbutterfly::happyfeet:Oh YES, if I'm eligible, I'm sure interested in the Bone
Smarties Club!!!

Hi, @amberpep! So nice to hear from you. I've moved your post to a thread in recovery so you can chat a bit with some of your friends here and catch up on your recovery journeys. I've also enrolled you in the Senior BoneSmarties Club so you should now have a knee icon, a club icon and have access to the Clubhouse forum.

You are doing the right thing about having some therapy for your balance. Be sure they work on your core strength as well. Both are very important as we age.

Hi there Jamie! Core strength ..... ummmmm ..... I don't think I have any at all anymore. I have not done real exercising since the whole knee thing started. So, now I've got saddlebags full of M&M's, and the upper arms of an out of shape boxer! Once I get this knee straightened out, I've got some major work to do!!!!!!
Hugz to you, abby :running::walking::biking: :yawn:

Well, get goin', girl!!! I work two days with a trainer and need every bit of it to keep good strength and balance. It's a constant battle at this age even if a person is active. You can do it!!! So sorry to hear about your beloved puppy.....she is so beautiful and has been there for you. It's tough to see them decline.

Welcome back, Ms Amber! We all have this balance thing at our age, don't we? But we can dream!

forever ballerina.JPG

Hi Abby, @amberpep

I'm sorry to hear about your little dog. It's always sad when we have to say goodbye to our loved furry friends - they are part of our family.

You do seem to fall a lot. Do you get dizzy before you fall, or is it that your legs don't quite do what you want them to?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back