Lounge Doctor

TKR “MUA No Later than 12 Weeks“

EllieDimples

Country
United States United States
@Jockette if it were not for BoneSmart, I don’t know where I would be. Not only has it given me comfort through this process, but I’m sure I would have had an MUA. I’m sure because a few PT’s mentioned it, and not knowing any better I would have probably agreed, especially when I was stuck at 90 degrees for so long. Fortunately, I am blessed to have such a wonderful ortho (I have had 3 surgeries done by him so he knows the type of patient that I am, and I fully trust him, which definitely goes a long long way), so when he said, “No MUA for you”, I was so SO relieved.
Thanks Jockette, for what you and the rest of the amazing moderators do for all of us on this forum! :thankyou:

OP
OP
Rain Dancer

Rain Dancer

Country
Thank you for your very thoughtful, helpful post @EllieDimples! I am so glad that your recovery is progressing nicely, even if slowly. There is so much wisdom in what you posted. I know that I have to stand firm in the face of opposition to a slower recovery. I am going to be my surgeon’s first ever patient to refuse an MUA. Hopefully, he will see that there is another approach to success. As with you, I see functional improvements every day that keep me motivated. My knee is strong, and my ROM will improve.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rain Dancer

Rain Dancer

Country
Five more degrees of flexion today at PT! I am now at 89. But what is more important than a number is that functionality continues to improve. It is easier to get in and of my car, I can sit in a chair with my feet on the floor for longer periods of time, I can walk in my very uneven yard with a cane. :dancy:

BBCG

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Yippee! For me, also, there seemed to be points at which suddenly, I could bend more, do more, too… it’s like a proverbial turning of a corner! Hooray for you and your knee!!

OP
OP
Rain Dancer

Rain Dancer

Country
Four Month Update

I am doing really well and still haven’t gotten an MUA. The pain is minimal, I take no medication, and in the last week I have stopped icing. Extension is zero. I don’t know what flexion is because we stopped measuring a month ago, at my request. It continues to improve at its own slow pace and is somewhere north of 90. The knee is strong and stable, and I am happy that I had the surgery. I go to PT once a week, where we do gentle stretching, massage gun, recumbent bike (still can’t get around, but so close!), tens treatment, gait training, and some strengthening. I can go grocery shopping, lift heavier items, and just generally take care of myself and my household. I still can’t tie my shoes or put on socks without assistance because of flexion. But, I can now lead with my surgical leg while going up the one step in my house. :) And there has been some dancing in the kitchen! Thanks to Bonesmart’s encouragement, I know that I just need to continue to be patient.

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Cajungirl
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom