TKR Arthroscopic Surgery after TKR to Release Popliteus.

@Rain Dancer, I also use crystal litter for my Maine Coon. No one knows I have a cat, because there is absolutely no litter odor, and although it is more expensive, it lasts a
lot longer.

66198D8C-AC9D-4465-BCFB-8E67B6EF157B.jpeg

Day 9–Pain is starting to ease up! The longer walks and standing are making a big difference. Had my second gentle PT session today and reached a flexion of 70. I have 2 more sessions next week and then I am released from in-home PT. I have not decided whether to go to outpatient PT. My quads are strong and my flexion is limited because of swelling, not lack of mobility. I have an under-desk elliptical that I can use to continue to stretch/strengthen my legs, plus I can walk in my neighborhood when the heat and humidity aren’t oppressive. My long term goal is to return to 3+ mile walks with elevation and to have the endurance to stand and walk for hours while attending art fairs, etc.

Great progress and learning, Rain Dancer! It sounds like you are definitely letting your new baby knee lead your recovery, and your progress sounds inspiring!

I’ve also found that walking at my preferred pace is better than being slow, too… which for me in complicated since my husband walks very slowly with a walker… he wants to walk with me, but it’s not working very well for my knee… so, I walk ahead then double back!

My flexion also was slower due to swelling, so I’ll reassure you it WILL improve! At 13 weeks now I’ve gotten it to 112 and each week is a bit better.

Sistersinhim, no wonder you recovered fast! That’s a lot of cats to herd! I’ll have to get you the hat I got my daughter, that says “Cat Herder”!

Day 10–I changed the timing and amounts of Tylenol and Advil last night. For the first time since surgery, I have zero pain while icing and elevating. I still have pain when walking, but that is reduced too. I am alternating the drugs every 3 hours. I plan to sit on the front porch today and enjoy the reprieve from the hot and humid weather that has been plaguing central PA. It’s a gorgeous day—white fluffy clouds and deep blue sky.

My weather is supposed to be cooler starting tomorrow. We had a tornado watch yesterday from about noon until 9pm, but thankfully it never went to a warning and we didn’t get one. :happydance:

I‘m glad your medication change is helping. I did the same thing as you, but I didn’t get as much relief as you‘re getting. My little partial was so much more than I bargained for!

@Jockette You got a raw deal with your surgery. My surgeon listed a PKR as an option for me too because I had arthritis only in the patellar femoral compartment, but I asked for a TKR. I had read too many horror stories about PKRs on Bone Smart.

Last edited:
Rain Dancer, good! I did the same thing, alternating the two medications like you now are... I think it was here on Bonesmart, too, that I first heard of that protocol, too, from Josephine, back in 2016. BY the way, I like your goals for the future, too! Walk for hours, visit art fairs, etc!

My surgeon listed a PKR as an option for me too because I had arthritis only in the patellar femoral compartment, but I asked for a TKR.
Good for you, taking charge like that! :yes!:

I thought I knew what I was getting into, but it turned out I knew nothing! I didn’t find Bonesmart until 4 weeks post op and by then it was too late. But I’m here now and I know a whole lot more!

Day 11–I highly recommend having a cat as a rehab partner. You will get lots of unintended exercise. I now know that I can change the bed linens by myself because he threw up on them this morning. :) Because I had to walk around the bed so many times, I did it all without my cane. He was his usual helpful self—crawling under the fitted sheet, chasing and biting the flat sheet. Now I get to wash and dry the sheets. Non-stop fun in my house!

@Rain Dancer Oh those kitties :catdance: They do love to hunt those marauding bed mice, don't they. Sorry about the reason you had to change the sheets but love your description of the process. When I had my hips replaced I had 2 big Maine Coon cats ( alas they have both gone to the Rainbow Bridge now) and they were the best purr-a-medics!

@Rain Dancer I'm afraid my 2 kittens who are 1 year old and sleep locked in my bedroom will run over my knee when I have surgery. Not sure I will make it to the bed anyway when I have surgery may have to sleep in the recliner for awhile. I have a 8 or 9 year old cat too but he likes to sit on my lap at the kitchen table so we will have to watch out for that too.
You are doing great!

@jaspa Thanks! I have protected my knee from my cat with a quilted throw, which has worked very well. Hopefully, you find an effective solution. They contribute so much to our recovery, and it is worth the effort to accommodate them. Best of luck with your surgery.

I have cats and dogs. The Westies, who always jump on my lap, were much more problematic than the cats. I had to create a barrier around the recliner so they couldn’t get to me :no-fin: . Now, of course, they are free to be with Mom!

Day 12–Nothing much to report. My cat so far is giving me a break from unscheduled exercises. I started rocking the treads on my under-desk elliptical. I am nowhere near being able to do a full rotation, but it is a great way to do gentle stretches. I am continuing the near constant icing and elevating.

@Rain Dancer do you have one of those icing machines and what do you use to elevate. I'm trying to think of all the supplies I need to have in the house before this all happens.
Glad your kitty is behaving.

@jaspa. I don't have an icing machine. I mostly use 2 large FlexiKold gel packs that I bought on Amazon. I have 2 others that wrap around the leg, which I rarely use because they are heavy and hard to get around my leg by myself. I considered the machine, but I thought that it would be hard to manage on my own. I elevate using the Lounge Doctor, which is mentioned in the elevation article in Bone Smart. It is expensive, but I like the fact that it has a removable, washable cover, and is light enough for me to move around myself. I ice and elevate in bed because I don't have a recliner and my couch is too low to use right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks