Revised PKR to TKR Makoplasty: ongoing pain<

So sorry about the delay. I hope you hear back from them soon. Can your GP prescribe any Tramadol for your pain?

The results of the MRI are inconclusive and it's being wrote off to nerve damage. I am being referred to a pain management clinic, neurologist and more PT. The fun just keeps coming. Not that I wanted to find anything wrong but this is not the answer I was expecting from Dr. Bohn.

Can you get hold of a copy of the report? I don't generally do MRIs but I might be able to discern something from the report.

I'm so sorry that the MRI was inconclusive. Did the OS tell you to call again if the neworologist is of no help to you? If nothing else works then it has to be the prostheses themselves.

As soon as it is posted on their portal. I will post the results here. He prescribed me hydrocodone 10's so it must of showed something.

Nope. They gave them to me over the phone and said there was nothing they could do to help me but refer me to a neurologist and pain management.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did they refer you to a neurologist or do you find on yourself?

Wow, that wasn't what I expected either. Please know you do have the right to make an appointment and go over this in person with Dr. Bohn if you want to. If it was me, I would....rather than just take it from someone on the phone. At that time you could ask questions.....like:

1. What leads you to think it is nerve damage?
2. What nerves may be damaged and how might that have happened?
3. Could you please recommend a good neurologist?
4. If it's "nerve damage," why would it have been apparent from day one after surgery and the same in both knees? It seems illogical that the same nerves in two knees would have been damaged in the same way during surgery.
5. Is there any possibility that it is not nerve damage and that having a revision to a full TKR would resolve the problem?

I am at a loss for words and tired of trying to prove to these people that I am in pain..just to have them come back and tell me.."sorry, we can't help you" My nightmare continues with these knees and I have no more answers then when I started this and have spent a small fortune. I am pretty discouraged right now. And why prescribe me Hydrocodone 10's if there is nothing that you can find wrong??? Just to shut me up so I move along I presume.

Jamie is right. I know you're sick and tired of all this, but it's your quality of life at stake. Make an appointment with these questions in your hand (I'm sure we'll think of more) because as Jamie said it doesn't make sense that you have the same nerve damage in both knees.

The nurse stated that Dr. Bohn cant help me any further and I really don't think making an appointment is going to do anything but waste my time. I have researched all these Neurologists on my insurance list this morning and have came up with the Rowe Institute for Neurology as an option. I feel like I am just going in circles with this. Every Neurologist I have researched has disgruntled patients leaving bad reviews so it's hard to find one that is not a quack.

I have another suggestion, but it might not be one you can do. Call Dickson Dively and see what an office consultation with Dr. Dan Gurba would be for someone with no insurance. Explain your situation and see how much they might reduce your fee. I would be willing to again go with you if you like. I would like to know answers to those questions I posed. It makes no sense you'd have nerve damage exactly the same in both knees from day one after your surgery. I don't want to see you waste money on copays at a neurologist if you don't have to.

I have tried to pay really close attention to where exactly is am having pain and it's equally below my kneecap. In that "fat pad" area. It even swells or fills with fluid. Can't tell which. Equal pain does not add up to nerve damage to me either. Ugh.

Hi @PkrJune15 I know what you mean with fat pads I had bi PKR last June and have them too my right causes no pain but left bottom one gives me constant pain but I thought it was due to my other issues, when I press pain goes worse but I take strong painkillers plus gabapentin and it's still there.I know I haven't solved anything but at least you know some other poor sod has the same.

Keep a note of your observations about where the pain is exactly and when you get it. That would be helpful to take if you see Dr. Gurba (or any doctor you might see, actually). Also, print off the report from the MRI and put both these things with your knee file that you took to Dr. Bohn. That would be helpful for anyone you see.

That fat pad area is exactly where it hurts and it's 24/7 unless I am totally off it. You can't press on it at all or it causes terrible pain and it looks like it has fluid in it on the outside area. Mine actually gets a swollen hump in that area for lack of a better term. Next time it's real noticeable I will snap a pic.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my way to pick up my copy of the MRI report on paper and on disc. I will post it later.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft