THR Post-Op Groin Pain<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogerpus

Country
United States United States
Cheers All!

I am new here, but a little looking around the forums shows that my case is in no way unique.

I had left THR (anterior) on 1/20. Breezed through surgery. Everything is way better than I ever expected. I do have pain in my groin upon flexion of my knee. I have to pick up my leg to get in and out of the car. I have to pick up my leg to get in bed. My lower back also hurts like it never use to. Guidance and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ogerpus,
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!
When you bend your knee, one of your quads crosses the hip joint, and is most likely what you are feeling during knee flexion.
You are still very early in recover, as you heal your symptoms should improve.

Here is the post op reading, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock as prescribed
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I had that with my recent hip replacement. PT said it is common, hip flexor. Basically, we did not do exercises that brought on the pain, such as the heel slides (knee bends). It is now back to normal. Just let that muscle rest.

Honey, you're only 4 weeks out yet so you're still likely to be in the throes of post op pain. I would like to give you some personal advice but in order to do that, I need to ask you some questions. Would you do that for me?

Cool!

I'd like to ask you some questions if you don't mind, and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine)

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

1. Anterior
2. Zero pain except with flexion movements such as getting in the car or bed. I have to pick my leg up by hand.
3. They prescribed roxycodone and percocet. I take nothing.
4. I don't ice. I have had no swelling outside of the first week. The pain is intermittent, and isolated to specific movements.
5. I have not elevated r/t lack of edema.
6. I have no limitations. I walk frequently. I try and add a couple walks in the neighborhood to the normal shopping and house wandering activities.
7. Mini-squats - 10-15 x 4 twice per day
abductor leg lifts- 10-15 x 4 twice per day
posterior leg lifts (standing)- 10-15 x4 twice per day
heel slides- sets of 10 3-4 times per day
glute sets done in conjunction with heel slides

PT came to my house twice. He had me do some heel slides, leg extensions and abductor exercises. He said I didn't need him and he discharged me.

As I read this I realize I am probably overdoing it, and should probably just rest more at this point. It has only been a month today.

Thanks!

As I read this I realize I am probably overdoing it, and should probably just rest more at this point. It has only been a month today.
Well that's good! Your answers certainly confirm that premise!
Mini-squats - 10-15 x 4 twice per day
abductor leg lifts- 10-15 x 4 twice per day
posterior leg lifts (standing)- 10-15 x4 twice per day
heel slides- sets of 10 3-4 times per day
glute sets done in conjunction with heel slides
PT came to my house twice. He had me do some heel slides, leg extensions and abductor exercises. He said I didn't need him and he discharged me.
And you don't need any of these either.The heels slides are a knee exercise anyway so totally unnecessary. I suggest you stop doing them and perhaps this
I do have pain in my groin upon flexion of my knee. I have to pick up my leg to get in and out of the car. I have to pick up my leg to get in bed. My lower back also hurts like it never use to
will abate. You could also do with some light pain meds - Tylenol 1,000mgs 3-4 times a day would help greatly.

@Ogerpus , I had the same leg pain with both THRs. I too lifted up each leg getting into car, bed, etc. Dangling my leg was agony. First thr, pain lasted awhile about six weeks while the second thr, pain was gone within ten days. Josephine is right, it does abate.

Nurse told me that legs get manipulated during surgery and if your muscles were already tight from OA wreaking havoc (as mine were) then it's not uncommon to have leg muscle pain afterwards and it does hurt. BS people are correct about resting injured muscles -with ice of course!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member