Airport security screening - forum discussion

Re: Airport Security Screening

Lee....I hope you are joking here on the forum. You really don't want to make comments like that at the airport, no matter how much you would LIKE to say it. The TSA guys have all the power in that situation and would be within their rights to delay you or bounce you from your flight completely.

Agreed. TSA = No Sense of Humor or (Totally Stupid Attendants)

We had a piece on our news today about the new screening machines that shows "everything" on a life-sized screen! The lady interviewed said they had to use this technology because people objected to the pat-down! But when members of the pubic (sorry - public!) were shown the screenings they were horrified! Every little detail of 'personal anatomy' was shown with great clarity. But the individual's face was obscured! Also the attendant viewing the screenings was in another room and could not see the persons being screened. This didn't placate the MoTP who insisted, as one man put it, "there is a line to be drawn and that is it!"

Oh boy! Makes me even MORE excited to travel on Saturday now! Doesn't even matter WHAT I wear now, huh???? (:)0)

It would be a good idea to do as your Mom always told you and wear clean, new underwear....:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

As I ALWAYS do, Jamie!!! I just hope there are no peepers!!! LOL!! (:)0)

Nope - undies don't show up on the screen - nothing shows up. Only the body as nekkid as the day his momma delivered him!

Ugh!!!!! Very skeevy!!! VERY!!!!

I know, I know.....I was just trying to be funny......personally, I don't care as long as it gets me through the check-in faster.

Actually I loved that screening machine. Bing, bang, boom and you are in and out in 30 seconds...

They don't have them at all airports, but they do at my home airport (BWI) but for some reason the last 3 or 4 trips they have been pulling males aside and bypassing the thing and doing it the old fashion way.

Maybe the male attendant in the other room just doesn't want to look at us guys when he has so many lovely ladies to "peek" at... :evil: JK

I think I'LL WEAR A hALLOWEEN MASK GOING THROGH SECURITY,NOW!!:whis::rotfl:

Yes, I was kidding! Yeah, the T.S.A. gets especially stupid on International flights. ( BTW, Mud...you used different words for the letters than I would !:shk: :blush: )
Yeah, Jo...they have had that 'super X-ray' screening machine here in the States for a while, maybe 6 or 8 months or more, at different airports. I think they have one or two at Tampa ( T.I.A. ); I haven't flown out of there in the past year or more. And yeah, the 'public'/media went nuts when shown the detail seen during screening.
As a side note, the quality of some TSA employees has been surpassed recently here in Tampa, about a month ago. A TSA-type private Security company had the Contract for Security Screening/X-ray's/Metal detectors at the Hillsborough County Courthouse in downtown Tampa....right across the street from the Federal Courthouse. It seems that in the course of X-raying purses, briefcases, etc., the Operator spotted a Beretta handgun in a purse. The machine has an 'automatic profile-matching' feature, similiar to 'facial-recognition' software....when tripped, it starts beeping and a small warning light starts flashing to alert the Operator to a 'hit' if he happens to be looking away when it goes thru. Weeeellll, SOMEBODY had the volume turned down to almost 'off', and the Operator SOMEHOW didn't see the light for nearly AN HOUR!!! :doh: :whis:All X-ray images are recorded....so when it was hurriedly run back, sure enough, SOMEBODY is SOMEWHERE in the Courthouse with a handgun!!:shk::hissy::shk: To say the entire Courthouse went totally Ape-sh## when the 'Screeners' informed the REAL Deputies of the 'situation' is an understatement to the 'enth degree! It turned out that a lady/legal courier/whatever had gone in to file a paper, drop mail. etc., and had a CIGARETTE LIGHTER shaped exactly like a Beretta handgun in a side pocket of her purse that she had totally forgotten about! She went in, filed/dropped paperwork, and LEFT THE BUILDING just a few minutes later, and was LONG GONE when the 'breach' was detected!! Needless to say, the cost-savings of the Private Security Co. were wiped-out in about an hour...and the REAL Sheriffs Deputies are manning ALL the Checkpoints.... again.:blush: Lee

Oh boy - that's a beaut!

I know this is serious but you ll are cracking me up with these words and sayings..........jo about being in their birthday suit , Judles Mud..lol............glad i dont travel much.........) good luck Judles i know last time you had a lil bad experience.......

Taking my first post-TKR flight tomorrow. Hopefully, all will go smoothly...and I won't feel violated in the process! :sigh:

Glad I checked into this site as am taking flight next month. I noted in the FAA's canned reply, they suggest you inform the airline of any "special screening needs" when checking in. I found the same info on my e-ticket.
From all the negative writings of how all you bionics have been "handled", I am definitely going to inform them.
Odd, but I have a plate and pins in one arm, and these have never set off their "magic wand". And I have taken that arm with me through airports, both local and international.

Glenys
LHR 5/28/09
RHR 7/23/09

It is odd that your metal was never a problem before. It will be now. You are correct that it's best to tell them right as you approach the security gate. They are used to dealing with us Bonesmarties and you'll normally be taken care of easily and quickly. Hopefully you don't see any of those overzealous employees.

I usually walk through the metal detector and as it beeps, and the TSO is asking me to step back, I just look at them and say, "HIP". They then direct me to a screening area or a seat to wait until one is open and/or a male TSO can be made available.

Offering to show a doctor's note/card or x-rays is useless. They will do a wand scan and pat-down unless you get one of those full body scanner machines.

Glenys,

I have had 5 metal plates and about 25 screws in my hip for 20+ years. The hand held scanner thing beeped only a couple of times in that 20 years. Now that I have two metal knees the walk through scanner beeps everytime. I always say knees before walking through and they pont me in the direction I need to go for further screening.

Thanks for the "heads up". Being prepared ahead of time will make the ordeal easier to handle.
I understand the use of the card not being any help, as anyone with evil intentions could get one made.

Glenys
LHR 5/28/09
RHR 7/23/09

I finally got TSA to address the issue with taking my wallet out of my line of sight. Here is that response in which they admit the officer acted incorrectly:

Dear Mr. Rogers:

Thank you for your electronic message of October 13, 2009, to the
Transportation Security Administration Contact Center inquiring if
Transportation Security Officers (TSO) are following procedure by taking
a passenger's wallet out of his or her sight during the screening
process.

All individuals entering the sterile area of an airport through a
security checkpoint must receive a thorough inspection of their person,
accessible property, and identification. However,
a passenger should always be in full view of his or her personal
property during the screening process. If this was not the case, the
TSO did not follow proper procedure by removing your wallet from your
view
. We sincerely regret this error in judgment.

During future travel, if you have any questions regarding
appropriate screening procedures, you should ask to speak to the
Transportation Security Manager on duty.

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns and I hope
this information is helpful.

Sincerely yours,

Chad Bash
Assistant General Manager
for Communications and Resolution
Office of Security Operations

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads