THR Ceramic 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceramic2

Country
Spain Spain
Well here we go,

My Op was scheduled for 4pm on Tuesday 4th. I was told nil by mouth after 8 am. I had a light breakfast of Greek yogurt, bananas, honey
aemoji.tapatalk_cdn.com_emoji518.png
. I arrived at hospital at midday and was shown to a room. A nurse came and did more pre ops then I got changed into the gown provided.

To my surprise a porter came at 2 pm. I had my hugs etc and prepared myself. I was wheeled into the theatre where I was introduced to the anesthetist who asked me had I stopped eating the night before. I replied that I'd had a light breakfast at 8 am as per instructions. She said 'oh dear we will have to wait until 4pm'.

I was then swapped out with another person who was on a gurney and I was taken to a side room feeling deflated and anxious. At 4.15 I was taken back to theatre where I asked to be heavily sedated for my epidural. I was given my injection and the next time I awoke I was in a recovery room with a really sore throat. I was told that they had to put me fully out as I wouldn't keep still during procedure. ( I of course had no memory of this).

I was given via drips anti inflammatory, antibiotics, and fluids. I awoke in the Weds morning a bit sore but ok I then waited for my surgeon to arrive but he didn't so I was moved to my room on a ward at 2pm. The meds now including paracetamol were given every 8 hours. On the Thursday an orthopaedic surgeon came to see me, asked me how I was and told me to start moving my knee up and down. I couldn't.

I asked re Pt but was told after I had my staples out. He then quickly left for his day's surgery. After he left I still had questions re ice and elevation etc but was told by nurses to speak to Doctor the next day as they couldn't answer the enquiry! (I wasn't very happy) I said surely someone can give me the answer.

Eventually the surgeon who had done my op came up at 4pm he answered my questions and explained he only worked certain days in the hospital I was in.

I asked re ice but was told no need as I was on anti-inflammatory, which surprised me. Naughty me, my wife had ice packs so I've been using them (they really helped). Since then I've been up and walking with a frame (uncemented hip 20% weight).

I'm now 4 days post op and I can see little gains every day! Little victories! I have my wound cleaned everyday and I am now on oral anti-inflammatory pills every 8 hours I can have a paracetamol if I'm sore after a walk and I requested diazepam at night to sleep which helps.

Overall the procedure has been good. They are reactive to my pain levels as opposed to proactive. The ice issue baffles me but whenever I have had soft tissue damage before I have always iced, because it works.

I am now looking forward to a slow steady recovery with basic walks being my main rehab. This site has been really useful for me, pre op and now, onwards and upwards

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I'm surprised they said no ice. That was one of the things that they specifically told me to do. Made things feel much better. :)

It still amazes me the difference between US hospital stays and European ones. I was in the hospital maybe 27 hours total post surgery.

Well done on getting your thread started @ceramic2 ! Yes, I got the same reaction regarding icing post RTHR. But you are so right - it really does help!

I'll post your recover articles here for you to refer to during this journey.
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

@ceramic2 - I cannot say how much I relied on icing! It really helped with the swelling and bruising and that in turn eased movement. I don't think the hospital want to mention it as I guess we'd be asking for it all the time (I certainly would!) However once home I had my husband bringing my ice gel packs on demand. Yes, BS is a great site and will give you loads of support and advice. Here's to a continued smooth recovery.:cheers:

There is a myth about that icing can damage the minor blood vessels and nerves. I
t's nonsense of course but still gets regularly spewed out!

@ceramic2, you will notice I merged your first three posts in this thread into one to make it more readable. Hope that was okay with you.

My OS recommended icing from the beginning and hospital staff brought me gel packs whenever I asked. Icing was standard treatment for orthopedic surgeries where I stayed. Still doing it at home now.

Thanks Josephine and mopster. I'm still sneaking my own packs in as it does help.

I had my cannula taken out yesterday and went to oral meds. The routine here is meds at 8 am 4pm and midnight. I received 2 x 25mg of anti-inflammatory pills at 8 (that was it). I then did my walks and exercise and rested, then at 4 pm I get 1x 25mg anti-inflammatory ! I asked why because I was sore and was told we like to reduce the medication! Would have been nice if it had been discussed with me.

So I carry on walking and resting and waiting and icing (as you do) but my pain started going up from 10pm. I buzzed at 11 and said I'm in pain I need at least 1 25 anti-inflammatory to help. At midnight the meds arrive and I basically demanded two so I could take 1 at say 4 am. It's very odd and contrary to all I've read on BoneSmart. In my case the tail (hospital) appears to be wagging the dog (me). They are behind the pain not in front!

I hasten to add it's a private hospital €15k for the op, so it's not a monetary issue within the hospital

Am I getting this right - they are only giving you anti-inflammatories for pain? That's downright cruel! You need something a lot stronger than that. What is your pain score? I bet it's about 8/10. And they don't supply ice either? Is your knee very swollen? I bet it is.

So I suggest you make a strong complaint to somebody very senior like the ward manager or the surgeon that you are not being given adequate pain relief and need something stronger like Tramadol. And if not, why not? At the very least they could be giving you paracetamol!

If you get no pain medication at all and no ice, I presume - even though I am no doctor - that you are not being treated correctly. I was in a private clinic too, but staff was very competent, medication and visits were 4, later 3 times a day and they asked at each visit if I I was in pain, to check if medication dosage was OK. If you pay that much for OP and hospital, you really should complain about your discomfort.

The odd thing is my knee has no swelling, I took it upon myself to ask for 1 more 25g anti inflammatory after 5 hours, im going to do that every 5 to 6 hours and take it, I asked re paracetamol but they said anti inflammatory was a strong version, I do bed exercises and walk 4 to 5 times a day after which I ice, unbelievably it seems to be working perhaps because I'm taking them every 5 hours, I guess time will tell

Well done @ceramic2 ! Looking forward to following your journey!

It's great to be home - familiar surroundings and smells. Follow the mantras and keep up the icing- it will really ease your mobility

Thankyou on leaving, my prescription was anti inflammatory, heperin, and an oral tablet which is a mix of paracetamol and tramadol

7 days post op for me, I am doing the static exercises and walking with crutches every hour or so, I am icing throughout the day, I did a half mile walk ( slowly) and was fine, I use the mantra, as in if I was hurting post my walk I would back off, but it was fine, I had an energy dip late afternoon so I had a nap and iced, I'm taking 25 mg X1 every 5 hours and I pop a sleeping pill to help me sleep, I'm almost at a point where the pain I feel is less than pre op! I shall call this the tipping point, anyhow everyone good luck and take it 1 hour, 1 day at a time!!

Day 10 1 kilometre slow walk with crutches, had a bit of aching on top of hip, also femur gets the odd shooting pain,, I have retired to my bed to ice and rest, hopefully the pains are either soft tissue or my bone starting to interact with my uncemented ceramic hip.

Wow. On day 10 I was mostly on my back and the longest walk apart from toilet or kitchen was downstairs and back up again with crutches to get some clothes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker