TKR Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Post -OP<<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I have experienced one of my worst fears with my new knee. While in Arkansas for my mother-in-law's funeral, I stepped in an 8 inch hole and fell hard. I pulled a muscle in my left thigh, jammed my right shoulder/neck, and did some soft tissue damage to Ralph (RTKR). Thankfully, my husband was with me and helped me up. I am extremely sore and my left foot has been swelling, but I survived the fall and didn't break the new knee! It was unfortunate to have it happen since after the funeral, we spent the next week cleaning out her house, getting it painted, and ready for market. We made it home today and are exhausted physically, mentally, and emotionally. It is a thousand miles from our doorstep to hers. A thousand miles of grief and memories.

@NightQuilter, GiGi is a very special cat. Many cats never have the opportunity to have their asthma treated and die. Thank goodness for NC State Veterinary School.

I'm so sorry to hear of the passing of your MIL. I will offer prayers for her and your entire family.

Falling like that must have been very frightening. I'm happy Ralph survived the fall. Try to take it easy as much as possible. Ice and elevate your ankle so the swelling goes down. If you have continuing problems with it or your other injuries a quick visit to a doctor may be warranted. I hope you start to feel better soon.

Oh, how horrible for you. We are all so afraid of falling and try to be careful, but all it takes is just a split second for something to go wrong. I'm glad Ralph is OK. You know what to do, ice, elevate, rest and meds! I pray you'll be OK.

Oh Janis! Wow. So sorry about your MIL's passing; such a difficult time anyway, compounded by the fall and worries about what might have been impacted. I hope all the injuries repair quickly. My fear of falling is accentuated by my lumbar fusion 15 months ago. Yet this spring while out hiking, down I went on my left hip, left knee, and left hand. Somehow, we recover, but I would still prefer to not do it again! :dubious:

Where in NC are you? I taught at Wake Forest University for 3 years "back in the day."

Such a gorgeous state! I taught public speaking, persuasion, and rhetoric of the women's movement (this was back in 1974-77). Worked with the debate program too.

Wow Janis I am so glad you are all right. So sorry to hear about your mother in laws passing. Its a tough time thinking and praying for you and the family. Falling I think is all of us worst fears with our bionic knees, I agree with all above ice ice ice and I would definately make an appointment with the OS to have everything checked out. I just had a lovely weekend at the river with friends and rode my wave runner and swam and managed to pull myself out of water onto my ski by myself with help from my knee pad I bought, it worked great.
I love cats as well and have just inherited my daughters cat who was a very mean kitty due to circumstances but she has become so loving and such a character the transformation has been amazing. Just having a loving safe environment is what did the trick and my daughter gets to see her every day. Take care of yourself and rRalph nad the 4 legged kids.
:flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:

Thanks Madeleine @macduf387. Haven't we come a long way? Just think in a few more months, we will celebrate our ONE YEAR anniversary on our November knees! I am so glad you had a fun and active time at the river. Yes, environment plays a key role in a pet's attitude. Our rescues, GiGi (cat) and Charlie (beagle) are a testimony to that. Bless you for taking in your daughter's cat. I know she is very appreciative too.

There is something to be said for getting "the greatest fear" ... a fall ... behind us. Better to be able to deal going forward and rarely as tramatic as we anticipate. Because, after all, we've been through the worst.

Hi Janis how are you I was just checking in and seeing how everyone was getting on. 9 months post op and loving my new knee just the other one is bothering me. I guess this time next year I will really be pain free haha.
Take care of yourself hope Ralph has settled down and that your tummy issues are in the past. My adopted kitty Kya is a whole new kitty so friendly and wants love all the time. How is Gigi and Charlie doing?.
Have a great weekend.

:flwrysmile::SUNsmile::flwrysmile:

Hi Madeleine! It is so nice to hear from you. Thanks for tagging me in Diane's thread. I haven't been on here in a while. Ralph is doing pretty good. I still have swelling when I walk a lot. Do you? I often wonder if part of that can be traced back to the Xarelto fiasco. We will never know. The tummy issues are still a problem. THAT is one thing about my TKR that I would never want to have happen again. The diverticulitis it seems can and will cause some people to have IBS. Well, guess who probably does??? :bawl: But, like all things, I will learn to live with it. Just need to figure it all out.

Are you going to have your other knee done? I am not having any trouble with my other knee currently. Thank the Lord! Does your knee click?

How wonderful about Kya!! They sure can steal your heart. GiGi and Charlie are getting along pretty good. GiGi seems to want to play with him, but he is having none of that! Hahaha! I had been taking him to obedience classes, but had to drop out of the last one. My husband's mother died and we had to go to Arkansas for two weeks for the funeral and to clean out her house. Exhausting trip. Charlie and I will try to get back in classes on the 6th of September. I hope we haven't forgotten too much!

I will be so glad when Fall comes and we can enjoy being outside. Take care and thanks for stopping by!

I'm glad to hear that you are doing well. I'm sure Charlie will be able to jump right back into class in September. I have IBS and once you can figure out your triggers and any patterns it is something that you will be able live with. It's just one more thing to have to plan around. The swelling in your knee can continue for a year or more but it should lessen over time. Thank goodness your other knee is not causing you any problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
So good to hear from you too and yes I will be having the other knee done in December Yikes at the moment its far enough away not to think about yet. Yes my knee does get stiff if I have been standing to long or over done it for the day, then I ice that evening and its all good, yes it does click especially early in the morning but no one else can hear it ha ha. My right knee is giving me whats for and thats why I am just going to get it done. I think it is actually holding me up I could walk a lot faster if the right knee would not be painful on virtually every step. Ugh...
Its all part of the course right. :SUNsmile:
PS Glad you got to give @dianehelen some good advice. Thank goodness we all have each other to count on while we go through our surgery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good, I hope it helps you as much as mine has helped me.

Ralph is one today! What a journey this past year has been. As I reflect on the journey, I am reminded of those early days of intense struggle and pain, the lesson of patience so hard to learn, and the comfort of support and friendship here. I have always been open and honest about what this experience was like in hope that others would really know what to expect and that they were not alone. So, what is life with Ralph like now? I continue to have swelling when I am on my feet doing a lot. The swelling makes the knee tight, uncomfortable, and limits my ROM. It goes away with rest. A nuisance at times - I manage. As I walk, I can feel (not hear) a click in the knee replacement. My OS reminded me that the joint is mechanical and that is completely normal. The swelling is normal for some of us special people fondly called "swellers" by surgeons. I like to think we are SWELL and just special in our recovery! Hahaha! It will get better with time I am told. Every now and then, I will have some soft tissue pain. It does not worry me, as I know it will feel better with rest. I still have a numb spot on the side of my knee. These things do not worry me as I know they are normal for some of us. Healing TAKES TIME. The worst thing that came about with my TKR was the diverticulitis I developed and that has completely changed my life. I wish I had never seen an opiod medication and the ensuing constipation they caused while taking or the diarrhea the withdrawal caused. Some people are different from others and are extremely sensitive to medications. I am one of them. If I had to give someone any advice, it would be to be patient. With all of that said....I have no bone on bone pain and it is WONDERFUL! Life has been good with new activity and the promise of a life LIVED - not on the sidelines.

For those of you that followed my journey and offered encouragement, thank you. For all those getting ready to embark on this journey, take heart. You will get through it and be glad you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie