TKR foodiex2's Recovery thread

Hi all... So as you know I have been struggling with flexion . After hematoma was 63 -70 -77 -80 yesterday after massage I could get 85...today back to 80. See the Ortho today I know he will push for Mua. I am petrified of this as I believe I have inflammation issues and it will create further damage. The chiro who I see I trust. He is breaking adhesions slowly and this seems like a better approach. I have to make a decision before the end of the year for insurance reasons and time line for best results. For many reasons hurt says it isn't what's best for me ... Is this just fear or should I consider? Please advise

Right knee arthroscopy Feb 16 2015 TRKR Oct. 26 Rtkr.
Hematoma- result of Zarelto from 10/29/2015

Heart says

I don't know what I would do. I too am a slow bender. I don't care what my finally number ends up being....I just want to walk without pain! I want enough bend to climb stairs and walk with a normal gain. I am at 6 weeks and can get 90-95. My OS wants 90 but when I saw him he kept harping on the "bend the knee" mantra. Hard to bend a knee when the bending send your muscles and IT band into spasms.

Just wanted to let you know you are not alone.

You have been through so much with the Xarelto. it is taking a long time for my swelling to go down and I surely have the bruising from my reaction to my Xarelto. I really think if we can get the swelling and inflammation down, our flexion will improve. I got 95 Tuesday, but usually am settled around 90. I did not have to go through the hematoma experience, so you are doing pretty good I think - although I am not a doctor and do not play one on TV. :wink: I think YOU know what is best for your body and have to just trust yourself. It is really early in your journey. There are so many that encourage us to remember this is a long journey and we are just starting. The money - I understand. My insurance year resets October 1 of each year, so I am paying deductibles and copays to get caught up, although I know there will be a LOT more expenses following this initial surgery cost. You are in my prayers.

@webbie73. I try all day everyday except when napping or icing to bend the knee it just locks up. I am pretty tough I own a restaurant and have worked 12 hour days prior with bad knee ... This is different it just freezes bending further feels like breaking bones... It's horriable the thought makes me break down and cry for hours . I am making progress just very slowly .... I just don't know what to do.... This is causing so much anxiety .

Your MD might be okay with *90° at 6 weeks. I was barely there last year (after my first TKR) and didn't need an MUA. If your OS suggests MUA you can request a few weeks to decide. Either way, don't be scared- my friend had an MUA 3 months post op. It was a very quick procedure, and it helped her a lot. Some benefit more than others. I guess it all depends on your situation.

EDIT: *Sorry, I see that your flexion is 80-85°, not 90° .

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all...It's been a tough road,trying to find a balance, to much therapy...To little therapy. I am 8 weeks on the 26th, I Still have a super stiff knee. Flexion a little over 90. I was stuck at a 77 until 2 weeks ago, but I have made gains since then. If I am not at least 105 by the 29th Ortho wants to do Mua on the 30th. For insurance reasons if I need it I need to do it by then. What do you think? Mua needed? Or do I chance it and have faith that more rom will come. I need to bend my leg. I am just worried about more adhesions forming.... A big circle. Thoughts?

Merry Christmas everyone. I pray for a pain free day for everyone.

I'm sorry you have the threat of a MUA looming over you. I am at 5 months now and at 110. I'm measuring where I need to be by what I'm able to do not by numbers. I've been told I have some adhesions but my OS told me they would eventually work themselves out just by my daily activities.

Like Marian I was 110° at five months post LTKR and have improved gradually since then. I may never be able to squat all the way onto my heels again, but that's okay for me (though I would love a little more bend for Christmas, lol). Only you can decide this one.

Decisions....I had a ROM of 115 at 3 months. It gradually improved until I could swim, ride a bike and this summer squat in the pool. Weigh the pros and cons. After an MUA I believe rest and elevation is required to heal the soft tissue etc. that has been forced.

Today I measured at 105! From a little over 90 last Thursday! I have till Tuesday to decide on Mua . Will be 8 weeks on the 26th. Still a lot of stiffness but considering I gained 23 degrees in three weeks i am hopeful! Pool therapy begins on Thursday . I have 3 sessions before Tuesday night plus daily Art and laser therapy a long with grastin technique and one more massage. Please dear lord let me be able to skip Mua. It is so hard to know what to do. My job is very active I must bend to do it... I just always seem to have complications. How long does stiffness remain? And any feedback on how many degrees were gained slowly the first year would be great!

That's great news! Your ROM is really good. Keep up the good work. You'll get there.

A few degree's per week is steady progress IMO.

So if you have MUA and it sets you back a week or so but without it you continue to gain what is the net difference?

Follow your gut/heart and make your decision based on you not the Doc. If you have confidence in the latest improvements and feel like you can continue to push it a bit then my vote would be wait a little longer.

I was at 135 two weeks ago and the Doc pushed it to 138 with just a touch of discomfort.
I got to 120+ in three weeks so it took 6-7 weeks to gain 15° more.

Here is the slow progression of my first TKR:
3 weeks: 8/72°
6 weeks: 5/88°
8 weeks: 2/96°
5 months: 0/110°
12 months: -2/120°
I hope to keep gaining ROM!

With a bend of 105, I don't think you need a MUA.

Clipless has posted about the progress of her ROM. Here's another one, from @Campervan , who also made slow but steady progress:
I had a slow recovery. Here's my flex measurements at various points:
92 - 8 weeks post op
105 - 10 weeks
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yr
120 - 1yr 2 months
125 - 1 yr 8 months

ROM can continue to improve for a year, or even longer, after a TKR.

I'm 5 months out and although the early stages of recovery were hell. The life I have back was well worth it! I would never wait to do my left one when or if it becomes painful like the first. So worth it!!! I learned I would never do it without a cpm machine (really beneficial for me and I didn't start using it until 5 weeks)! I would take it slow with rehab... Move it all day long (gently) stay positive ( it will get better) and relax. Love my new knee!!!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom