PKR second shiny new knee

Ooh I want to see that exhibition but I'm not ready to face the tube yet! Yet another great update!

Just had a good holiday in sand, sun and sea.
Swam in the sea every day lots of times - going gently on the legs as my second knee was eleven weeks old. Did a good bit of exercising in the pool too - stretching and bending. I do feel I can improve the flexion but as it was poorer in the left leg anyhow and for such a while, I accept its a longer and slower job and thats ok as I know from my first PKR that flexion will continue to improve over a long period of time.
The physio exercises fell by the wayside.
Walking a fair bit every day was no problem although I did have a slightly swollen ankle now and then. It was hot and I was on my feet a lot - but on a sun lounger a good deal too of course.
My knees were both great and although I sometimes walk slower than the others I can walk just as far. I didn't go up the 400 steps to a monastery and I did sit on the kerb, rather than stand, for 35 minutes in a taxi queue.
I'm doing everything I want to do more or less - apart from running and playing tennis of course - sport can wait a while longer until Im truly healed. Day to day stuff is good.
I get an occasional tweak when I turn over in bed - ITB stuff I think. Im sure it will go. My left leg feels slightly stiff today but its probably post holiday blues - the rest of me feels the same!
Boring update but getting back to normal and walking without bone on bone pain is brilliant. Have patience those of you following on a similar journey - its worth it.

Amazing! Sounds like you had a wonderful holiday, well deserved. Very positive update, great to hear you are doing so well. I'm hoping to go to Cyprus when my PKR is 14 weeks old so this gives me great inspiration. Brilliant!

@Hopper I was wondering how you were progressing but what a great report! You and your new knee are obviously getting on very well together.

Nothing much to report.
ITB seems to have settled down. I've slowly increased my walking and can do any day to day walking and recreational - not tried a mega hike yet but I'm certainly ok for quite a few miles.
I do think I walk a bit slower than:running: I used to but speed will come.

I've been very, very busy with holidays, general life, and sadly with elderly relatives who are unwell. This has prevented me from having the time to get back to my exercise classes properly. I have to do drives of over 300 miles on a regular basis to help my relatives. My knee is s bit stiff after those but heyho.:hog:

The newest knee does twinge sometimes,:nah: especially in bed,but that makes me realise my earlier PKR is really sound now. It just takes a while - months and months and months not weeks
Those of you who are only a few weeks out remember that!
Those twinges now and then are generally where stuff is still healing and healing can't be rushed it takes time. Its very frustrating waiting for knees to heal - keep busy, keep calm and carry on!:groan::egypdance:

Good to hear from you. So pleased that all is going as well as it is. Sorry to hear about your unwell relatives. Thank you for your last paragraph, I needed to hear that. I'm at 10 weeks out and still struggling with frustration and impatience! Oh, and some swelling and soreness too. You give me hope that my Christmas I won't be thinking about this knee all the time!

@Raffs - saw my physio again today, after a months break, she's been away and so have I. I want to increase my activity levels a bit now and wanted to see how my gait, extension and flexion etc were getting on.
Extension and flexion have stayed the same - which is what I suspected. After half an hour of massage and very gentle manipulation they improved - worthwhile half an hour.
My gait is not too bad but my physio observed that my left glutes are not working as well as they should be and detected a slight bit of lopsidedness. I thought of you because it seems this is probably affecting the ITB. After engaging my glutes as I walked I could feel the difference. Having been given a distance to reach in 10 minutes my competitiveness kicked in and hence Im now much quicker on the stationary bike!
All in all it was a great session with her and I could see how much Ive progressed and Ive some good points to work on.

Five mile walk today - lazy walk that took just over two hours.
No knee pain!!!! That feels so good and its such a great confidence giver.
Home, quick lunch and an hours gardening.
I'd forgotten how good my legs could be. Two new knees are bliss!

Well - physio and I have found a sudden increase in flex and extension by a few degrees in each! Im pleased.
Been on the wobble board and squidgy mat practicing balance exercises to help left glute strength and get me evened up. It was a fun challenge and its great for my overall leg strength and engagement. Subtle but specific.
Glad I've not finished my physio as this is, for me, very worthwhile and rewarding.
I found my PT in the US great with my right knee but I've not been as keen on the waffty response I had initially in the UK with my left knee.
I found I needed, and like, having a proactive physio who listens and also has a fairly eagle eyed response to what my knee needs. She gives me confidence and encouragement too.
Thank goodness I got rid of the first physio and persevered to find this one!

Thoroughly enjoyed the Rugby World Cup opening ceremony and match on friday and romped off to another match on saturday! Yes - it cost a small mortgage but RFU has always had my family ensnared.
Probably walked about 6 miles on saturday (slower than anyone else and got a blister) alongside more tube and train travel. Sitting for hours in a full stadium x2 was a tad uncomfortable.
It was exhausting but fun. My new knee was as good as gold BUT hated it and decided to grab my attention by blowing up my ankle like a balloon!!!
Serves me right. I'm an idiot.
Must not be too mean to my knee and also remember it's still early days!!!!

excellent news and 6 miles is great! I get blisters too but always carry "Compeed" with me, works a treat. If you haven't tried it, it is brilliant.

@SuperSnapper - I was walking in trainers I've had for ages and can't see what rubbed. Daft really.
I like Compeed too, it works a treat and so does some Avon stuff called silicone sock cream.
You will be snow walking in Jan?

@Hopper Yes, snow walking. I am so looking forward to it. We did it once before and loved being in the mountains. All the paths were good, well maintained and reasonably safe. I think I might get some knee pads though! I would really like to try cross country skiing again - who knows? I might work up the courage to have a go.

I've not heard of silicone sock cream but thanks for the tip.

I'm really pleased to hear about your progress.

Knee pads sound quite a good idea.
I loved to ski but it really was taking its toll on my knees and I had to slow down lots. I have asked about skiing again and although both surgeons have said to go ahead, my biggest fear is some fast Larry wiping me out! Its not me falling thats a worry, its someone hurtling, out of control, into me on our narrow European slopes.
Not sure how I will be able to resist when the rest of my family are on the slopes though!

@skigirl (Kelly) is a skier. She was teaching skiing until a short while ago.

I love to ski---I have cross country skate skis---I can just fly on them. Also do a lot of Alpine skiing---80 days last year. So far, the knees are just fine.

@skigirl - how lovely to be flying across the slopes again! Unfortunately there are too many people going far too fast on narrow pistes over this way - being wiped out is a very common occurrence and Im not sure about my new knees being walloped. I worry that its different to a fall under your own steam. What do you think?

I think that the number of people skiing on very wide skis has led to a lot more collisions!! They cannot engage the tip, so substitute speed---and then cannot turn fast enough to avoid someone. I live in Montana where we have wide slopes, but I don't ski on Saturday and I am always aware of who is near me.

Last year a guy skied over my skis!! So, plenty of us worry about collusions. There are a lot more law suits when they occur too. I wear a helmet mostly because of other folks. So, yes when you fall yourself, you can mitigate the fall but when someone runs into you---then it is a different story.

However, I am not going to stop skiing---or driving or walking across the street where accidents can also happen.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom