TKR Joyfull61's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sitting behind a desk for long stretches is not ideal for new knees. If you have to sit behind a desk, make sure you get up periodically and stretch
:iagree:I concur!!! Many people believe that a desk job will allow them to take it easy and be good for the knee. Quite the opposite---many report that sitting for a long period of time can be somewhat confrontational to the surgical knee.

Quite the opposite---many report that sitting for a long period of time can be somewhat confrontational to the surgical knee.
I fully agree. While working from home was difficult to "get in position" with the laptop and it was tough to stay in position especially while my extension and flexion were limited. Then returning to the office and sitting at the desk all day had its own set of challenges. It took a lot out of me, every day.

Just caught up reading your thread. How're you doing? I had a PKR on June 30th so am a couple of months ahead of you but still very much in the recovery period. What kind of PKR did you have? Hope you're doing ok now after your fall.

I'm now 12 days out and feel great for the most part. PT felt so good today that I over did it and have some swelling for the first time, so I'll be attached to the chilled water gizmo 24/7. I don't regret overdoing it...the movement was great and I felt human again. My therapist made the mistake of saying how well I was doing. Of course that made me want to do more. Lesson learned. She measured me at 112 degrees, so I'm pretty pleased.

I'm finding that I do best when I do absolutely nothing except remain horizontal as much as possible. Except for walking to the kitchen or den, my ONLY activity is when I go to PT. So far it seems to working well for

TKR - August 31, 2015

@Raffs...the surgeon replaced my patella, got rid of some bone spurs, and cleaned out a lot of arthritis. I feel certain that my right knee will need a similar procedure. I think I'm ready to get it scheduled. A few days ago I wasn't so sure, but now I'm all for it. The surgical knee hurts less that my non-surgical knee, so i'm ready to subject myself to the ordeal again.

Apparently my fall didn't do any damage. Everything seems to be in working order.

TKR - August 31, 2015

I've had both done. Life is so much better!

Did the surgeon put a metal implant onto the trochlear (groove) on your femur where the patella glides up and down? Good to hear you're doing well enough to consider having your other knee done soon!

@Raffs...that's exactly what was done.

Surgery was two weeks ago today and so far, so good. It seems like a lot more time has passed and I keep forgetting that I still have a lot of healing and recovering to do. I'm moving well with just a cane when I need it, and bending at 114 degrees. I ice and elevate every minute that I can.

I get to return to work next week. I'll go in Monday morning and stay for a few hours, then I'll work the rest of the week from home. I've already blocked off time on my calendar for mid-day naps : )

TKR - August 31, 2015

I'm sure my manager expected no less!

PT wore my fanny out today. It's amazing how tired 45 minutes of stretching can do that. I had a different therapist today and she was pushing hard for me to be able to rotate fully on the bike. Ummm...NO. Not going to happen yet. She measured me at 120 today without any discomfort. I improve every day, but it takes me a day of icing and elevating after each PT session to feel good again. The therapist was surprised when I told her I did no exercises or stretching at home other than basic walking around. She asked "not even heel slides or quad sets?" Nope!!

I was near an older woman who is on her third TKR and is three weeks out from surgery. (She had a fall than shattered one of her knees and had to have it redone.) I told her about this site after she was complaining about pain management and exercising at home. She was amazed at how far along I am, how little I do at home, etc. Maybe she'll pop up here.

TKR - August 31, 2015

Good to hear you are doing so well and you are listening to your knee. Really like the nap schedule.
I just rocked the bike pedals for weeks, then rotated them backwards and its just so thrilling when they spin properly. Little things......!!

I'm back at work as of today - exactly three weeks from surgery.:mcoffee:

I had to come into the office for meetings vs. working from home, but everything is going well. Other than being tired and missing the naps I've become accustomed to, I feel good. The knee is behaving for the most part and I was able to ice and elevate for almost an hour. If everything goes as planned, I'll head home mid-afternoon, just in time for my usual afternoon nap. :sleep:

I must say it is nice to wear something other than the yoga pants I've been living in for the past three weeks.

@Joyfull61 just caught up on your thread. Congrats on being back at work. When do you go back to OS? Will you discuss your right knee at that time?

I see my OS on Oct. 12...he said we'd talk about it then. I'd love to my right knee done before the end of the year if possible. The thought of another summer in pain with no walking or hiking depresses me.

I feel the same way regarding another spring and summer with pain and restricted activities. I'm ready to discuss the other knee.

I am so not ready to think about the other knee.

My ROM is great (125/0), I'm getting around fine with little or no pain - a little swelling when I over do it, but nothing that some extra icing and elevation doesn't take care of.

My only real problem is rising from a low seated position...it hurts like crazy. I've tried different placements of my feet and body. I've even worked with my physical therapist to make sure I'm not doing anything bizarre.

Have others experienced this???

@Joyfull61, I have not tried that yet. I could not do it pre surg and I'm not sure I will be able to until after the second knee. That is something I really hope I can do. Hope someone has some tips.

Great range of motion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member