TKR Speedknee Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic1

Country
United States United States
RTKR this morning. Nerve block still working so no real pain yet, just ache behind the knee. Looking forward, with some fear, to PT early to tomorrow morning. Thanks to reading here a lot over the past few weeks I have a good idea what to expect

Wishing you well with your recovery. I'm On day 6 post surgery right total knee replacement. I had or in hospital 4 times and once in home. I'm sticking to pain meds at this point and pain level I'd say is 6-7. A lot of stiffness but working on at home exercises. Hoping I can shower today as sponge baths r getting old. They say I'm doing well and I'm giving it all I've got...

:welome: to Bonesmart, glad you decided to join us.
PT should be OK this morning, they will want to get you out of bed, go for a short walk, and maybe show you a few exercises. They will also want to know about your living situation, stairs etc.
Please put your surgery date in your signature, just hover over your user name top right, a drop down menu will appear, click on signature and add your information there, Thanks!

Here is the post op reading, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

Keep us posted on how you are doing,

Welcome to recovery!!! Glad things are going well so far. We're here to help and answer questions, so don't hesitate to ask. Keep the updates coming. It really helps others to read how you're doing.

@Optimistic1 ... welcome to you too. How about starting your own recovery thread so we can follow your journey? If you need help on that or anything else about how the forum works, check out the How To Use This Forum link under the Help & Info tab at the top of the screen.

Thanks for the welcome and info. I would have responded sooner if it wasn't for the Percocet fog.
Therapy this morning, given a couple simple exercises to do and helped into the chair, can't go for a walk as I still have some nubmess, they will come back later and I hope I can walk then. I am regretting the nerve block now, but it's done and I did have a good night. And the OT will not see me again as I am flexible enough and I have prepared my home so well, she was impressed as she says most don't prepare or educate themselves. I told her about finding this site and reading as much as I could. So, thanks bonesmart!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward, with some fear, to PT
Don't fear PT - take charge of it! Don't let them hurt you, say no and mean it.

I recommend you my recovery threads to see how little exercising I did!
First knee. Knee recovery - UK style
Second knee. Josephine's knee story and progress where I did even less!
I am regretting the nerve block now
Oh why? did they not tell you it lasts for 24hrs?
And the OT will not see me again as I am flexible enough and I have prepared my home so well, she was impressed as she says most don't prepare or educate themselves. I told her about finding this site and reading as much as I could. So, thanks bonesmart!
Amen to that!

On the path to wellness I think I am 8 days ahead of you. I dreaded PT but when I learned that they had some good suggestions and listened to me when I said "no" I was able to do more than I thought. I had to please the hospital's PT before I could be released from the hospital so I complied but did not do anything that pushed my pain past a 6-7 on the 10 scale. I have seen an in-home PT twice and he is the one who caught my critically low oxygen levels so now I am glad the PT is part of my wellness path! I do simple exercises that make me feel like I am getting stronger and never feel more than 5 on the pain scale and I think that is acceptable. Best wishes for a smooth recovery!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Looking forward, with some fear, to PT early to tomorrow morning.

Don't fear PT - take charge of it! Don't let them hurt you, say no and mean it.
I agree---nothing to fear about PT---just draw the line in the sand, so to speak, and do not let them hurt you. Remember, the PT folks work for you---not the other way around.

well, you were all right, PT was great. I actually had 2 different therapists and they were both of the same mindset that I see here. I regretted the block only because for me it lasted more than 24 hours and I wanted to walk. everything went so well and I was so well prepared (thanks largely to bonesmart, although I am a nurse also) that I had surgery Monday morning and I am home late Wednesday afternoon.

You should be home by now if you are on the schedule you thought you'd be on. I hope all is well. Let us know how you're doing when you feel up to it.

yes, came home on wed. the 20th. my sister is staying with me for this first week and things are going well. had one in house PT session and will have 2-3 times per week till I have follow up with surgeon on 6/3. my pain is well controlled on percocet 1 every 4-5 hours. I made the mistake of not setting an alarm the second night and slept through almost 8 hours, and woke up in tears. lesson learned! it has been nice outside so some walks down the street have been nice, much easier to get the heel/toe walk on a long stretch as opposed to going room to room in the house. I feel so lucky that I found this sight and was able to read up what to expect from those who know, I was able to get my house prepared and decided to buy a polar ice machine. that just might be the best thing I have ever spent money on. my ROM was 97 and -7 on thursday (surgery was monday), so I am happy with that. so, I am following the bonesmart mantras, ice, elevation, rest, walking and gentle exercises. I can't thank you all enough for the support and all the helpful information.

just updating for my own record, and anyone else that it might help. yesterday was one week since surgery. I was sitting at my computer desk reading bonesmart posts and decided to do some heel slides while I was at it and was surprised to see that there was significant improvement from the day before. I won't know any ROM measurements till I have PT again, but there was no mistaking the improvement. I was also able to do straight leg raises and short arc quad exercises with more ease and less pain and was able to "pass more houses" on my walk down the street. so, a very encouraging day. Ice, elevation and rest are still my best friends. pain is very well controlled with 1 percocet every 4-5 hours. no plan to step down this week as it is working so well. and, I feel taller since I am actually able to stand up straight without that bowed leg! the bruising on the inside of my leg from mid thigh to heel is fading and the swelling is less also. so, I don't think I am going to have that "why did I do this" phase, it has been such a positive experience. I know I will have the occasional down day/lack of progress, but overall I know this was the right thing to do and the right time to do it. hope everyone is having a good recovery day!

update to my update. home PT today. ROM 107 and -6. not huge jumps in numbers, but good progress. going to buy a cane this week and get some standing weight bearing exercises. good stuff.

Those are great numbers but what is even better are the accomplishments you are making every day!

@bionic1 I can hardly beleive how well you are doing! It has been just a little over a week and you are walking outside, outstanding! Keep up the good work, but take it easy too:ice:. Just keep the pain under control and keep us up to date, we all love a positive recovery:wow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom